Coral Vue Hydros

Double trouble 2 tanks

McCune

So I started my Cadlights 50 long at the beginning of the year. I had a large 210 in the garage that was taking up to much space. Sold that and was able to find a Cadlights 100. Both tanks are on piano white stands. I am trying to decide if I should keep these two tanks separate or plumb them both together. If I do that I can run one large skimmer instead of two smaller ones, and it would be the same with all the other equipment. I have never plumbed two tanks together before. Let me know what you think. 

If using a common sump, you must consider the backflow of both tanks during a power outage.  So it must be large enough so that it does not overflow.

There is benefit to plumbing them together, with more water volume (stability) and shared equipment.  However, there is the risk of introducing a parasite into one and having it spread to both.  Likewise, problems like dinos can also travel between the tanks.

The deciding factor might be the placement of the two display tanks.  If they are to be placed next to each other, a shared sump (with two return pumps) is plausible.  If they are to be stacked, a shared sump where the top tank overflows into the lower tank, which overflows into the sump (with one return pump), is possible.