Top Shelf Aquatics

Indiana's 29 Gallon Office Reef

Indiana Reefin

Indiana Reefin
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Clever setup @Indiana Reefin! I'm surprised you didn't make the collector even larger, but I suppose it's more than double the existing cup capacity :D 

Where all in Europe are you going? That's rad!

I thought it would be plenty. I want to test it out. The last thing I want to do is do a gallon and it overflows on me overnight and drops my salinity. I have never had this skimmer overflow so I am being ultra concious ?

my my wife and I are traveling to Dublin Ireland for 2 days, and then we are meeting our friends in Northern Italy. We are going to visit Milan, Lake Como, Tuscany, and Florence for a week.

My my wife and I are big fans of wine so we are looking forward to trying some wine in Northern Italy! We will see how it compares to Napa. 

We we have been planning this trip for the past couple of years so we are ready! 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

The tunze cup was very easy to drill. I just used regular carbide drill bits and slowly worked my way up. No cracking or warping from the heat. 

ReefNewby82

That's a clever idea!  I finally got a waste collector recently for my tank and is great.  Add a little carbon in a bag and no smells!

• Like 2
Christmas Corals

Woah!! Amazing!! Trademark that piece!! hahaha!! Awesome!! ????

On 2/23/2018 at 11:30 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.e6691af65075767c4f15e8e6cd72e376.JPG

Beautiful display!! Brilliant progress!! ??Unique substrate! Adds a dynamic look to the tank! ??

• Thanks 1
Indiana Reefin
5 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

That's a clever idea!  I finally got a waste collector recently for my tank and is great.  Add a little carbon in a bag and no smells!

Noticed how I used a carbon container ?

yes I will put some carbon in there to take away from the tank sewage smell. 

Indiana Reefin
1 hour ago, Christmas Corals said:

Woah!! Amazing!! Trademark that piece!! hahaha!! Awesome!! ????

Beautiful display!! Brilliant progress!! ??Unique substrate! Adds a dynamic look to the tank! ??

Wow thanks for your kind words!! The waste collector idea was really easy and I was surprised that I didn’t have any issues. Nothing comes easy in this hobby. 

I was hesitant on the black substrate but it has really grown on me. I have set up multiple tanks and I have never really had pristine white sand. So I figured what the heck..

i cant decide if I like my rock scape. I will

stick with it for a while. I plan on making this a sps dominant tank eventually. Taking it slow

I dont know if I deserve your praise lol. 

Indiana Reefin

I got another frogspawn yesterday! I love the color on this one! Sorry this is a crappy picture. The green and purple are way darker in person. It is difficult to snap a good pic with leds. I will have look into some phone apps. 

9E021437-A57A-4A5D-A221-FCF3E35E4632.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Indiana Reefin

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the frag swap tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow ?

on on a positive note, I will be visiting a couple of my favorite local fish stores. I am for sure getting a rare neon yellow hammer. It is stunning. 

I am am going to hold off on SPS for a couple more months. I am going to focus more on some LPS and then go for  some sps. I really love frogspawn and hammers. 

• Sad 2
On 2/24/2018 at 9:19 AM, Indiana Reefin said:

Kouts, IN just south of Valparaiso 

Hey! I'll be moving to Valparaiso in a few weeks! 

39 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the frag swap tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow ?

on on a positive note, I will be visiting a couple of my favorite local fish stores. I am for sure getting a rare neon yellow hammer. It is stunning. 

I am am going to hold off on SPS for a couple more months. I am going to focus more on some LPS and then go for  some sps. I really love frogspawn and hammers. 

You'll have to share what your favorite stores are in the area! I'm from the Chicago area and haven't spent much time in Indiana other than visiting out friends in Crown Point and the two weekends we were in Valparaiso looking at houses! 

I have a HUGE hammer I have been meaning to frag up into smaller pieces - If you're interested in some I won't sell it all off before the move! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Which ones?

33 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

You'll have to share what your favorite stores are in the area! I'm from the Chicago area and haven't spent much time in Indiana other than visiting out friends in Crown Point and the two weekends we were in Valparaiso looking at houses! 

I have a HUGE hammer I have been meaning to frag up into smaller pieces - If you're interested in some I won't sell it all off before the move! 

Welcome to Indiana! Valparaiso is a nice area

Indiana Reefin
29 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Hey kimberbee!! 

Yeah a good fish store is the Ark in merrilville, IN off of 30. 

What color is the hammerhead? I may be interested in a frag 

2 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Hey kimberbee!! 

Yeah a good fish store is the Ark in merrilville, IN off of 30. 

What color is the hammerhead? I may be interested in a frag 

It's a green "splatter" colored one. 

If you zoom in, it looks like some of the color had "rubbed off" of the tentacles - that's why makes it a splatter I guess! 

Spoiler

39950230471_db7a79cb7c_z.jpg20170720_193740 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Indiana Reefin
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

It's a green "splatter" colored one. 

If you zoom in, it looks like some of the color had "rubbed off" of the tentacles - that's why makes it a splatter I guess! 

Hide contents

39950230471_db7a79cb7c_z.jpg20170720_193740 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Nice coral! 

Pm me what you want for the entire piece

Indiana Reefin

Got this really cool chalice and I got a gold hammer that I haven’t got a good picture of yet. I will play with my camera and see if u can get a better picture. 

56C1049A-F0F2-4258-99AC-0CDF4B5DB760.jpeg

4CA28050-DD6F-4813-BAA8-6A3D4920871D.jpeg

AFB5B8C5-3B18-42DF-BDC8-B3E9182D94B2.jpeg

61342765-0E5D-4E6C-BB94-C326E8E220BA.jpeg

• Like 2
Indiana Reefin
9 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

Nice looking tank! Cool color chalice but dang that frag plug on that chalice looks icky 

Thanks! 

Yeah those were just air bubbles. They were gone this morning. 

Indiana Reefin
19 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I see the beginnings of an LPS dominant tank and I like it :) 

Thanks!! 

I am planning on getting some more chalices and maybe a cool plate coral. But I really want to get some SPS here this summer. I will more than likely go with 7-8 acropora and maybe a susnset or Superman monti. I need some more blue, red, pink, orange. I would also like to see start a little island of some maxi anemones and rock flower anemones. 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin
17 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

What a great start! Those lps are going to look great as they get bigger.

Thanks!! I can’t wait to see that gold hammer get large and color up a little more. This ocean revive is very powerfull. I had to turn my whites down to 15% and my blues at 30%. All my soft corals bleached and dies when I had my lights at 30% whites and 50% blues. 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

Getting ready to say bye to my reef for 12 days ?

makes me nervous but the tank should be fine. I will have someone feeding my fish every day and they will clean the algae off my glass. 

Corals and fish are looking happy. I’m still fighting some hair algae but it has dramatically decreased over the past couple of weeks thanks to vinager. 

Ill post pay some pictures from my trip when I get back. 

E1C5B658-C9BE-436D-B1F2-64F5E91FF8C1.jpeg

5AB2A62B-3092-4A6F-8661-AE231EF3AC36.jpeg

56B41E49-61ED-4382-A9BF-97478179195D.jpeg

• Like 2