Coral Vue Hydros

Indiana's 29 Gallon Office Reef

Indiana Reefin

Indiana Reefin

Hello Reefers!

I am a long time member here and I have really enjoyed this forum! Everyone here is very helpful and encouraging. I have been reefing for 7 years off and on and I have learned the hard way one too many times.

Current setup:

29 gallon standard aquarium - $1 per gallon sale

Oceanrevive arctic T-247 Led fixture - Great fixture!

Aquaclear 70 HOB filter

1 Vortech MP10 ES

Tunze 9001 skimmer - Beast!

Cobalt 100 W Accu-Therm heater

Reefkeeper Lite

Aquasmart micro ATO

I dose 10 ML of vinegar per day via ATO

I add 1.5 TSP per gallon of kalk to keep my ALK and CAL stable via ATO 

I use aquaforest reef salt

Fish:

Pair of gold nugget clowns

1 Pajama Cardinal

1 Tailpot Blenny

Corals:

4 heads of Frogspawn

1 head of neon green hammer

2 leather mushroom

1 neon green toadstool

1 yumma mushroom

Tank Parameters:

Salinity - 35 pt

Temp - 78.5

CAL - 440

ALK - 8.0 (I keep it low because I am carbon dosing)

MG - 1550 ( AF reef salt is really high in mag )

PO4 - 0 (Hannah checker) 

NO3 0-2 (salferit) 

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.e6691af65075767c4f15e8e6cd72e376.JPG

I recently added the Walt's nano reef rock 2.1. It is lot more purple than the other rock and it will slowly fade over time and blend in better with my other rock.

IMG_1800.thumb.JPG.21ae58f51f81345c02f9e2affcf4306e.JPGIMG_1819.thumb.JPG.978266e850c694276bf476c890275974.JPG

This yumma lost a lot of it's color during the move from my 18 gallon to my 29. There used to be a lot more blue, orange, and pink. In no time it should start to color up.

IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.fe4c9ebc74dbf9152929b26d83e3743d.JPG

The larger juvenile is kissing the other clowns cheek! This is a maroon clown fish's way of saying I dig you! lol  

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.0d428eb2f28e93e028eff04e205e2764.JPG

This is 1 day worth of skimmate. I don't get why so many people complain about this skimmer. It rocks!  I am going to make a waste collecting container next week and have a float control controlled by my reefkeeper lite.  My wife and I are taking a trip to Europe at the end of March into the first week of April so I will definitely need more skimmate collection capacity. I will have one of my co-workers feed my fish and watch over my tank while I am away.

IMG_1816.thumb.JPG.976688f06ccc4101c2132188bfd49549.JPG

I love this fixture. I currently have my blues at 50% and my white, red, violet, and green at 27%. I will continue to go up slowly over the next couple of months. I am planning on ending up around 70% on the blue channel and 30% on the white channel eventually.

IMG_1821.thumb.JPG.9ac85a9a328689701d4ce9622cc74d8e.JPG

I recently upgraded from an 18 gallon AIO cadlights mini II. It was a great tank but I was itching to pair off my lightning female maroon clown and needed more real estate. I tried a couple different smaller juveniles but had no success so I decided to sell the lightening and purchase two smaller gold nugget maroon clowns. I had the smaller golden nugget maroon in the tank for about a week and then I added a slightly larger juvenile to the tank. The larger gold nugget showed aggression and dominance right off the bat. It took 3 days or so and now they are inseparable.

My future plans are to get rose bubble tip anemone and mostly SPS. I am wanting to go with 5-6 really nice frags and let my tank grow in. I will more than likely get the rose bubble tip first and let it find it's happy place before I move onto SPS.

I will be posting more pictures as I add more corals and make any changes to my setup.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 3
Indiana Reefin
46 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Very cool!   I'll be following along.

What part of Indiana are you located in?

Thanks! 

Kouts, IN just south of Valparaiso 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin
1 hour ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Another Indiana reefer here. Lafayette IN. Following along. You going to IMDAS March 17th?

Hey!! Awesome to hear we have some Indiana folks! I will have to look into IMDAS. Where is it at? I would love to get more inviolved in a local community and meet other hobyist. 

I went to Purdue on the West Lafayette campus! 

Boiler Up!! 

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

I got a rose bubble tip anemone today. I will post some pics tonight or tomorrow. It is beautiful. It has a forest green base with white specks with red tentacles.

Indiana Reefin

IMG_1830.JPG

I was only able to hang around for 20 minutes after I put it in my tank so it isn't opened up all the way yet. It should be twice as big and I should be able to see its' base on Monday.

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

Say Cheese!! Lol. Ignore the hair algae. It is starting to lighten in color and wither away from dosing vinegar.

IMG_1833.JPG

Tested tank parameters today:

Salinity: 35 pt

Temp: 78.5

ALK: 8.4

CAL: 440

MAG: 1560

NO3: 2

PO4: .02

Tune in for next week. I am building a diy waste collector. I will provide a detailed build with pictures.

• Like 2
Indiana Reefin
On 2/24/2018 at 8:05 PM, Christopher Marks said:

I'm glad you started a journal for your office nano reef @Indiana Reefin! Do you have a reef tank at home as well, or just the office tank?

Just an office reef. I don't have a good place at my house at this point. We are going to be building a home in the next 3- 5 years and I am planning  a large reef tank :)

I can't hardly wait. I have already started a wish list lol.

I will start saving up for this build in the next year or two so that I don't have to hold back.

• Like 1

Indiana reefer here and President of INDMAS.  We hope all within a reasonable driving distance can attend!  This will be a great event.  Melev is excited to talk to us and reeftrader.com is heating up!

I lived at 5 points in Lafayette in a condo for a couple of years.  Loved hanging out on campus and going to the Cactus lol!

Great looking tank so far Indiana!

• Like 3
Indiana Reefin
58 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Indiana reefer here and President of INDMAS.  We hope all within a reasonable driving distance can attend!  This will be a great event.  Melev is excited to talk to us and reeftrader.com is heating up!

I lived at 5 points in Lafayette in a condo for a couple of years.  Loved hanging out on campus and going to the Cactus lol!

Ahh the cactus! Hahha I have had a great time there! 

Yeah I will definitely attend the presentation at 11. Melev has some really cool stuff. I love premium aquatics as well. I used to

hang out with Scott that used to work there. He helped me

set up a tank in West Lafayette when I was in college. 

Thanks for the compliments. I’m sure I will buy some nice frags at the swap ?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

I am also trying to attend, this will be my first frag swap

Okinawa_Reefer
On 2/25/2018 at 3:44 PM, ReefNewby82 said:

Any tips to share for all of us Frag Swap newbies?

Also, sorry to Indiana Reefin for hijacking your thread lol

• Haha 2
Indiana Reefin

Not fully opened up yet but is starting to like my tank more and more! I had to move my leather toadstool coral. The anemone was getting to close. I will leave this side of the tank for the anemone to roam around. Once it gets settled I will add some coral around it. 

So far my clowns show zero interest 

3FE4EB11-19B1-40DA-8AEF-007C4ABD7BE7.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice looking nem!  I've found that when the nem finds a spot I want it to stay...i target feed some chunky food a couple times a week to it.  If it moves it doesn't get food...stops moving and stays where ya want - reward it with some chunky bits.  May just be dumb luck but has worked for me!

• Like 2
Indiana Reefin

Thanks!  

Yeah it has opened up more today. I am happy where it has ended up settleing. It moved 1 inch from where I initially put it. I will try feeding it today. It did take a couple pieces of myasis yesterday 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Indiana Reefin

I just installed a waste container so when I go away to Europe for 10 days my skimmer can keep chugging along. If it goes nuts, my waste collector has a float valve that I installed on the inside of the lid that will automatically shut off my skimmer via my Reefkeeper lite. 

It was pretty easy to do. 

1F50C3BB-EB29-49C6-A01B-04932584381D.jpeg

F65C4866-7D6D-49CE-98F8-0C0362EB861A.jpeg

976BBE91-FC9A-4DA9-9DF6-19726F4EE7EB.jpeg

• Like 2