Innovative Marine Aquariums

Colorful fish for 30 gallon?

smcquary

What are the most colorful reef safe fish for a 30 gallon tank? Already have a flame angel, Orchid dottyback, and purple firefish. Looking for active fish water column.

Thanks 

Fang blenny - for the most color, perhaps a canary or a forktail.  They're active throughout the water column. Get along with pretty much all other fish (except other fang blennies).  And, while typically not aggressive, are brave and confident enough to stand their ground should your flame angel or dottyback exhibit any aggression ... which may be a possibility as the flame grows larger in a 30g sized tank.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, malacoda said:

Fang blenny - for the most color, perhaps a canary or a forktail.  They're active throughout the water column. Get along with pretty much all other fish (except other fang blennies).  And, while typically not aggressive, are brave and confident enough to stand their ground should your flame angel or dottyback exhibit any aggression ... which may be a possibility as the flame grows larger in a 30g sized tank.

This trio would be pretty cool!

https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/395655/

2 hours ago, smcquary said:

In a 120g+ tank, yeah, very cool. In a 30 g, not only would you be pushing your biolode to the extreme ... in short order you'd also most likely go from having 3 canary blennies to 2 canary blennies and a corpse.  As I mentioned in my previous post, fang blennies are very aggressive and territorial toward other fang blennies. If 2 of that trio are males ... or females ... they'll harass and eventually kill their opposer, leaving you with a mated pair.  If all 3 are male or female, it wouldn't be long before you have 1 fang blenny and 2 corpses.

Please don't take this as me trying to sound judgmental or rude ... just trying to save you money and heartache.  That coral beauty is already in a tank that will restrict is spacial needs and freedom of movement as it grows ... which will most likely cause it to become aggressive.  One fang blenny would likely be able to hold it's own in an aggressive environment like that without being too stressed. But adding two or more on impulse will only increase the aggression factor even more ... resulting in a lot of fish death and sadness from your tank rather than enjoyment.

• Like 1

How big is your angel? You might be near full capacity. If you really do want another fish though I can vouch for a fang blenny as well, I have a blackline blenny in QT and he's great. A clownfish would be a good fit for your tank too, I don't think you have enough room for a pair though. You're probably going to want more open water fish as another rock dweller/burrower could possibly cause issues with the firefish or dottyback, but then again I don't know how much rockwork you have.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, smcquary said:

Thanks I'll check those out! I've had the flame a little over a year and he occasionally chases Someone but is pretty social.

Fair and be warned that the Flame once established will likely take offense to any new additions.  Mine sure was a notorious butthead and I added him last.