SaltCritters.com

Clown79

In my 5g spec I had a green clown goby and a tsb.

Both were doing great besides the goby being a PITA to feed. He just didn't go after any food.

After 2 mnths both died within 24hrs of eachother with no apparent reason.

Neither was gasping at all, no white spots, no film, no damage to fins, no red gills either.

Literally woke up to my blenny doing the death jerking and he died 10mins later.

Next day, goby was dead.

Inverts and corals are fine.

It's a very odd situation as there were no physical signs of distress.

My tank has been fallow for 6 weeks already.

I am now thinking of 1 fish only.

I don't want another clown goby. Cute but rather boring fish.

I love the tsb but I have had no luck with them. That was the 3rd time I've attempted one (different tanks)

Is there a single fish I could house in a 5.5g?

Bicolor blenny, firefish, damsel (I know they are dicks but it would be on its own) etc.

Its a great guide,

altho i'd put a single Banggai Cardinalfish ,  firefish, clown, chromis, damsel in a 5.5g...... I've also been in this hobby for the better part of 10 years. One of those, not all. :-)

46 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

In my 5g spec I had a green clown goby and a tsb.

Both were doing great besides the goby being a PITA to feed. He just didn't go after any food.

After 2 mnths both died within 24hrs of eachother with no apparent reason.

Neither was gasping at all, no white spots, no film, no damage to fins, no red gills either.

Literally woke up to my blenny doing the death jerking and he died 10mins later.

Next day, goby was dead.

Inverts and corals are fine.

It's a very odd situation as there were no physical signs of distress.

My tank has been fallow for 6 weeks already.

I am now thinking of 1 fish only.

I don't want another clown goby. Cute but rather boring fish.

I love the tsb but I have had no luck with them. That was the 3rd time I've attempted one (different tanks)

Is there a single fish I could house in a 5.5g?

Bicolor blenny, firefish, damsel (I know they are dicks but it would be on its own) etc.

I had the same thing happen at the end of December where within 48 hrs my possum wrasse and pipefish (both of which had been active eating and looked very healthy) died suddenly. Still a mystery. 

59 minutes ago, JBM said:

Its a great guide,

altho i'd put a single Banggai Cardinalfish ,  firefish, clown, chromis, damsel in a 5.5g...... I've also been in this hobby for the better part of 10 years. One of those, not all. :-)

I've been in it for 10yrs too?

• Like 1

Greenbanded gobies are very much not boring fish. They change sex like clownfish so get two and they may become a pair. 

Or a pair of neon gobies would make for interesting behavior too (also available as captive bred).

Both very hardy fish, good eaters, easy to feed, and possible interesting mating behaviors. They also pose no threat to tiny shrimp and crabs.

34 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Greenbanded gobies are very much not boring fish. They change sex like clownfish so get two and they may become a pair. 

Or a pair of neon gobies would make for interesting behavior too (also available as captive bred).

Both very hardy fish, good eaters, easy to feed, and possible interesting mating behaviors. They also pose no threat to tiny shrimp and crabs.

We don't have the selection available here that you guys do in the US.

Rarely see captive bred fish. 

Never seen a green banded goby.

I had the clown goby and I won't do that again. I found it boring. Cute but its like having no fish in the tank. Came out when lights were off and hid all day. 

I want a fish that you can see. 

This is the most common smaller fish you see

Watchman goby

Blennies (mostly bicolor, sometimes tsb)

Damsels

Clowns (already have 2 tanks with clowns)

Pink bar goby

High fin goby

Neon goby (another rarity)

Firefish

I haven't seen a royal gramma, orchid dotty, bicolor dotty in over 2yrs, never see black cap basslet.

Then you have the bigger fish. 

37 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Sorry to hear that. I lost my 4 year old Pleco recently and that had me bummed. Although, that was my fault :tears: Sucks whether you know why or not

Thanks. It does suck.

I hate not knowing, especially for fallow period. 

Sorry to hear about your pleco.

I used to live by the border of Canada, thought it would be cool to live there but due to poor selection of reef inhabitants, NEVER!

Can you get pistol shrimp? I would probably try a hi-fin and hold out for a neon as the 2nd fish.

If you can't get a pistol, firefish should be out hovering once comfortable. 

Neon dotty back or sixline if no inverts but they may feel cramped (if you can get them).

This place any good? https://www.canadacorals.com/collections/fish/products/orchid-dottyback

They have a orchid

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Can you order from Live Aquaria? Shipping sucks but they have captive bred options

They dont ship outside of the US.

On another group I belong to with Canadians several are looking for green banded gobies but apparently are difficult to get in Canada. One lady has been pestering fish stores for a year to try.

Caught with cyanide? This method is still used in certain parts of the world despite what stores and wholesalers say.

One of the issues when cyanide is used is a healthy looking and acting fish suddenly dies within a few months with no warning signs.

do you know what part of the world these fish were sourced from?

You would have to pay shipping but J and L aquatics in Vancouver gets in captive bred fish. Mostly clowns and gobies and other smaller fish.

Would a Wheeler's goby + pistol shrimp combo do? I had goby/pistol pairs, they were quite fun to watch. The pistol would be mostly elusive though.

Sorry to hear about the sudden losses. It sucks to lose multiple fish at once.

12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I used to live by the border of Canada, thought it would be cool to live there but due to poor selection of reef inhabitants, NEVER!

Can you get pistol shrimp? I would probably try a hi-fin and hold out for a neon as the 2nd fish.

If you can't get a pistol, firefish should be out hovering once comfortable. 

Neon dotty back or sixline if no inverts but they may feel cramped (if you can get them).

This place any good? https://www.canadacorals.com/collections/fish/products/orchid-dottyback

They have a orchid

Lol.

It used to be better yrs ago. The selection was amazing, prices were good, and the supply was more consistent.

Not sure what happened.

Most places can't order specifics, I've tried that. 

It can get frustrating, I'll be honest.

Didn't notice Can. Corals had the orchid. That's an oddity. Very rare.

2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Would a Wheeler's goby + pistol shrimp combo do? I had goby/pistol pairs, they were quite fun to watch. The pistol would be mostly elusive though.

Sorry to hear about the sudden losses. It sucks to lose multiple fish at once.

I thought about it but with the way I designed the rock work and rocks I chose, I think it would be hard on the pistol to tunnel.

I'd love a 6 line wrasse but i'd feel bad it being in 5.5g

I have a yellow assessor. 5.5 may be a bit small but not sure. They say 10 gallons. I may be taking tank down in near future... also orange plate coral and a few other goodies. Feel free to contact me.

The orchid or yellow assessor are both wonderful fish. Yellow is peaceful.... Orchid mostly peaceful.... Rare there? Sounds like you need to treat yourself to something new for you :)

i think orchid dottybacks are awesome fish. they have a color that is unlike anything else, and i like the way they swim.  they are pretty active too. just an all out beautiful beautiful fish imo

they can be territorial and sometimes a little aggressive in my experience, but since it would be the only fish in the tank, it doesn't matter!  i say get one of those.  

already mentioned, a goby/shrimp pair is the recommendation i was going to give.  i plan on starting a 5 gal in the near future with a yasha/candy cane pistol combo.

• Like 1
On 23/02/2018 at 8:29 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

Can you order from Live Aquaria? Shipping sucks but they have captive bred options

No.? Importing laws, some dry goods can't even be shipped.

22 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The orchid or yellow assessor are both wonderful fish. Yellow is peaceful.... Orchid mostly peaceful.... Rare there? Sounds like you need to treat yourself to something new for you :)

I'm going to see if I can find one of those.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I need a fish!?