Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Watchman goby will not find a home

Compressorman

Compressorman

I bought a yellow watchman goby Saturday and put him in my tank. He instantly found a hole under a piece of live rock and called it home. Unfortunately that was the one piece that needed moving since it was too close to the glass. Since his forced eviction he has refused to find a new home and just sits on the sand all the time and frowns. Anyone else have one of these that behaves this way? I really liked the idea of him peeking out of a hole. Oh well

Chris

Mine never settled into one spot so he generally moves around perching on the sand bed or on top of the rock or even corals.  It is common for him to take big mouthfuls of the sand bed and spit it all around but I have never seen him in the same spot digging a cave- it seems random.  Maybe they would if you pair with pistol shrimp?  

He does always look angry with the same frown though- that is why Watchman's have always been my favorite fish! 

fishkeepersaltnfresh

My watchman goby has his own cave beneath a live rock. He hides their (peeks) most of the time. But ,for some reason, every afternoon for about 3 hours he will come out in open. He will perch on sand bed or hover on top of Duncan coral.

This was a very sad post to read for some reason. Home eviction and frowny face.... :’( 

I’m sure he will find a good new spot soon :) he’s just shopping around for a good deal 

I think this simply means your Watchman goby is very comfortable in his tank.

Most fish hide because they feel threatened, yours seems like he's pretty comfortable as is.

Congrats on the happy fish!

BustytheSnowMaam

In nature, he would pair with a pistol shrimp in a cave.  If you do this, don't just introduce any kind of pistol shrimp, it has to be from the Alpheus genus.

• Like 1
Compressorman

*** Important Goby Update ***

For all of you that have been on pins and needles after my initial post you can relax, He has found a home. I had to move some rocks yesterday to apply peroxide to some bryopsis and he jumped into a hole and hung out there the rest of the day. So, yes he has found a home and still enjoys basking on the sand. Crisis solved.

Chris

• Like 1

Good to hear! If you want something fun to watch, throw a pistol shrimp in there. Tiger or randalli are the most popular for reef safe species. They will both dig and make a home together. Then steal corals for a door! But it is really cool to watch them protect each other.