Pod Your Reef

Another Fluval Evo 13.5 reef project - SPS growth pics under stock lights

hyoib

good job @hyoib nice to see some positive results... keep us posted with how it progresses!

out of interest... as a fellow brit, can you recommend any decent uk based online re-tailers?

1 hour ago, afcajax73 said:

good job @hyoib nice to see some positive results... keep us posted with how it progresses!

out of interest... as a fellow brit, can you recommend any decent uk based online re-tailers?

Not used any online suppliers in the UK for coral/fish. Interested to know if you know any?

Where are you based? There is a great shop up near me in Yorkshire called KKC aquatics. They are the a regional wholesalers of marine fish, have SO much variety. I’d recommend giving them a visit if it’s not too far from you.

I’ve used charterhouse aquatics online a bit for dry goods, they seem to have lots of choice.

21 hours ago, hyoib said:

Not used any online suppliers in the UK for coral/fish. Interested to know if you know any?

Where are you based? There is a great shop up near me in Yorkshire called KKC aquatics. They are the a regional wholesalers of marine fish, have SO much variety. I’d recommend giving them a visit if it’s not too far from you.

I’ve used charterhouse aquatics online a bit for dry goods, they seem to have lots of choice.

same here really mate, I've not bought any coral or fish online but, I have used charterhouse for my InTank baskets.

I'm in Stoke-on-Trent, so I have a couple of good LFS's which is where I get my corals from. The only issue is, is that as there's not too many shops around, when something nice comes in, it's usually gone quick!

My sister lives up in Leeds and I visit a few times a year but having looked at KKC it looks to be more over Hull way???

4 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

same here really mate, I've not bought any coral or fish online but, I have used charterhouse for my InTank baskets.

I'm in Stoke-on-Trent, so I have a couple of good LFS's which is where I get my corals from. The only issue is, is that as there's not too many shops around, when something nice comes in, it's usually gone quick!

My sister lives up in Leeds and I visit a few times a year but having looked at KKC it looks to be more over Hull way???

Yeh it’s Hull, it’s based in someone’s back garden! You wouldn’t ever know it’s there unless you look for it.

i have the same issues. If you are coming East Yorkshire way, another great little shop is Octopus 8 aquatics in Brough (recently won small shop of the year in aquarist classified) Louis who owns it, gets in an excellent selection of frags, trouble is as you’ve said, they go quite quickly so If you’re coming this way Id check to make sure they’ve just had a delivery.

Just ordered my first coral frags online: 1) Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseris; 2) Encrusting Rainbow montipora; 3) Purple hornet zoas and 4) Scrambled egg zoas. Don't arrive till Wednesday (having to take the day off work to ensure I can receive them).

Thanks for the inspiration of trying out some UK online stores @afcajax73!

I welcome any offers of where to place them in my (quite full) EVO! 😂

13 hours ago, hyoib said:

Just ordered my first coral frags online: 1) Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseris; 2) Encrusting Rainbow montipora; 3) Purple hornet zoas and 4) Scrambled egg zoas. Don't arrive till Wednesday (having to take the day off work to ensure I can receive them).

Thanks for the inspiration of trying out some UK online stores @afcajax73!

I welcome any offers of where to place them in my (quite full) EVO! 😂

Nice... keep us posted, and if they're decent quality I might stick an order in myself :) :)

On 3/19/2019 at 7:13 AM, afcajax73 said:

Nice... keep us posted, and if they're decent quality I might stick an order in myself 🙂 🙂

They arrived today. Excellently packaged with a heat pack. The zoas and montipora haven’t quite opened up yet but very happy with the colour of the leptoseris.

Tried to get some photos under the actinics but they’re not done justice with my crappy iPhone camera

24D0E5D5-33E1-4F15-AD51-F4FFFA613617.jpeg

F847062F-F688-4E49-B47E-18A8D9E1D105.jpeg

FAB0560E-9E24-4434-9AD6-4B648EF95096.jpeg

• Like 1

Love that torch!!

By the way, I bought the PolypLab lens kit -- my gosh, it made SUCH a difference snapping pics in the blue light. Was surprised how good the quality is of the lenses themselves too -- they're made of glass (I thought they'd surely be plastic) and comes with a clip to attach over your phone camera that the lenses actually screw nicely on.

https://www.amazon.com/Polyp-Lab-Coral-View-Lens/dp/B07DVMFBNP

27 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Love that torch!!

By the way, I bought the PolypLab lens kit -- my gosh, it made SUCH a difference snapping pics in the blue light. Was surprised how good the quality is of the lenses themselves too -- they're made of glass (I thought they'd surely be plastic) and comes with a clip to attach over your phone camera that the lenses actually screw nicely on.

https://www.amazon.com/Polyp-Lab-Coral-View-Lens/dp/B07DVMFBNP

they look awesome. Just checked though and they don't ship to the UK and currently unavailable on Amazon UK. Will have to keep an eye out for them!

Just now, hyoib said:

they look awesome. Just checked though and they don't ship to the UK and currently unavailable on Amazon UK. Will have to keep an eye out for them!

Damn! Maybe they're on ebay?

I've read there are a few other brands that make some coral lenses too if you can't find these ones. 

9 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Damn! Maybe they're on ebay?

I've read there are a few other brands that make some coral lenses too if you can't find these ones. 

I think my LFS sells some, @hyoib I’ll take a look at the weekend if they’ve got any and let you know, brand, price etc.. 

Corals look good too mate. I’ll pm you at some point for details, not sure on the rules of posting other sellers on here, that lepto is tasty! Had to log onto my pc get a proper view on the big screen haha 

15 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

Corals look good too mate. I’ll pm you at some point for details, not sure on the rules of posting other sellers on here, that lepto is tasty! Had to log onto my pc get a proper view on the big screen haha 

Look forward to it.

I took the encrusting rainbow montipora out tonight. It never looked like it was going to do well as soon as I added it. It looked slightly bleached before I added it and its continued to RTN over the 24 hours it's been in.  Copepods were feasting on its dying tissue when I got home tonight so i took it out before they got a taste for my montipora!

I temp acclimated, then drip acclimated and iodine dipped it. I wonder if it just didn't cope with travel well? Anyway the other 3 corals which arrived are doing well.

11 hours ago, hyoib said:

Look forward to it.

I took the encrusting rainbow montipora out tonight. It never looked like it was going to do well as soon as I added it. It looked slightly bleached before I added it and its continued to RTN over the 24 hours it's been in.  Copepods were feasting on its dying tissue when I got home tonight so i took it out before they got a taste for my montipora!

I temp acclimated, then drip acclimated and iodine dipped it. I wonder if it just didn't cope with travel well? Anyway the other 3 corals which arrived are doing well.

ah no...

might be worth contacting the shop and letting them know, they might well compensate/replace :)

• 5 weeks later...

Small update today. Had some ugly dino's on my sand bed, upgraded my pump to an MP10 and at present running the MP10 at 40% and the hydro koralia 240. I think i was running the system to clean and that's brought it on, was getting phosphates pretty low with a small amount of GFO and water changes. Have ordered some dino-x so will try that when it arrives.

The dosing system is running a dream, calcium at 450ppm alkalinity around 8.7. Had some great growth of my SPS under the stock lights (stylo has done especially well). I've attached some growth pictures, but will do full tank shots once I've sorted the uglys out.

All the other corals are doing well, new heads of candy cane/acans and frogspawn. Only thing which hasn't split new heads is my duncan.

The tank is still running on the stock lights, the spectrum of light isn't the most attractive but it can grow everything I've tried!

Growth pics are 1 month apart.

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7858 2.PNG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...