inTank Media Baskets

Marine Innovation 20 NUVO fusion tank issues?

oneart

I am about to upgrade from a 12 gallon custom made reef tank to a 20 gallon. The Marine Innovation 20 NUVO looks like a beautiful tank and the dimensions fit perfectly on the low IKEA bookcase I currently use for my 12 gallon. I just read a couple of horror stories on Amazon reviews about Marine Innovation though. Two people posted that the black plastic backing separated from the glass leaking the tank's contents onto the floor. One tank was a 16 gallon and the other might have been a 100 gallon. I'm wondering if these incidents were flukes? Does anyone have experience (either positive or negative)with these tanks? Thanks! 

Thanks Tamberav! I'm really glad to hear that! I'm about to put in hard wood floors and the leakage report really concerned me. It looks like a beautiful tank and will be a nice upgrade for me. My 12 gallon is just a pot of water at this point (with a blue damsel and a mushroom coral) but I'm ready to get back in the game! Thank you! 

As stated the old curved glass IM tanks were junk and that led to the new Nuvo series. I have had a 10,20 and now a 14 peninsula and all have had no issues. My 20 is now on its 4th owner I think and the 10 its third. Great tanks don't be scared they wont leak.

Thanks Spectra! Lol, I think I'm going to place my order today!!! (so so happy :) ) Do you think the peninsula is better than the one with the sump in the back for any reason? Also, I plan to get the ghost protein skimmer since that seems to be the only one that will fit. I'm wondering if you (or anyone) knows of a different protein skimmer that would fit in the chambers since the ghost has mixed reviews? 

11 minutes ago, oneart said:

Thanks Spectra! Lol, I think I'm going to place my order today!!! (so so happy :) ) Do you think the peninsula is better than the one with the sump in the back for any reason? Also, I plan to get the ghost protein skimmer since that seems to be the only one that will fit. I'm wondering if you (or anyone) knows of a different protein skimmer that would fit in the chambers since the ghost has mixed reviews? 

If you search for intank media baskets and go to their site they have sections for a lot of aio tanks. In these sections they usually have options that will fit each tank.  I like this site because  most of the time they have pictures of the products they sell in the actual tank you have . Sometimes they have videos.. also @StevieT has great support of you have any specific questions..

Good luck.. check out the tunze 9001 skimmer if you think you need/want a skimmer..

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, oneart said:

I think I have seen people using the Tunze 9001 which should perform better. 

Peninsula's benefit is you can view the tank from both sides, it is just a different orientation but does have a smaller back chamber. I have a peninsula type next to my couch. It is not the IM one though, more of a DIY type. It just comes down to personal preference and the space in your home to put a tank.

37218375592_61c7c6b6bc_c.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Weikel! Great suggestion about the tunze 9001 but the chamber for the IM 20 is very small at 2.5 x 3.75, which makes the tunze 9001 just a little too big (2.5 x 4.3). I wish there was more consistency in the size of the chambers across tanks for skimmer compatibility but I guess this is part of the challenge. I definitely need a new skimmer though as my Boyu finally gave out - that was a nice little simmer as it worked and I was able to wedge the intake sponge behind my pump in the sump. They don't seem to be available in this country anymore and wouldn't fit the 20 Nuvo anyway. I will be sure to check out the site you mentioned though and may stumble onto something else. Thanks again! 

Wow Tamberav! Love your tank and your kitty! Is he/she an Ocelot? I have two blue point Siamese and one Abbie myself - all boys. One Siamese is a kitten and he's already fallen into my 12 gallon twice (no harm done to anyone). This new tank is going to be an experience with him! 

8 minutes ago, oneart said:

Thanks Weikel! Great suggestion about the tunze 9001 but the chamber for the IM 20 is very small at 2.5 x 3.75, which makes the tunze 9001 just a little too big (2.5 x 4.3). I wish there was more consistency in the size of the chambers across tanks for skimmer compatibility but I guess this is part of the challenge. I definitely need a new skimmer though as my Boyu finally gave out - that was a nice little simmer as it worked and I was able to wedge the intake sponge behind my pump in the sump. They don't seem to be available in this country anymore and wouldn't fit the 20 Nuvo anyway. I will be sure to check out the site you mentioned though and may stumble onto something else. Thanks again! 

You can do some modifications to get it to fit. There are people using it on here for sure!

Found this thread, one person removed a baffle, another removed the Tunze magnet and moved it to the side and got it to fit in the center chamber by redoing the return pump's lines.

3 minutes ago, oneart said:

Wow Tamberav! Love your tank and your kitty! Is he/she an Ocelot? I have two blue point Siamese and one Abbie myself - all boys. One Siamese is a kitten and he's already fallen into my 12 gallon twice (no harm done to anyone). This new tank is going to be an experience with him! 

She is a bengal and they like water... so lots of wet paws!

Besides Tunze 9001, here is some other skimmers to look into:

ns80

Eshopps Nano PSK-75H HOB skimmer

Eshopps Nano

Aquamaxx HOB

Cad lights PLS-50 Elite (not the new version so have to find a used one, needs moding for sure)

Glass air-driven skimmers

• Like 1

You can do some modifications to get it to fit. There are people using it on here for sure!

Super resource. Thank you! I just read through the thread. It seems like you can either move the magnet (not sure what the magnet is about yet) or take out a baffle. That scares me a little since I've never done mods but doesn't seem to be a big deal. Either way, it looks doable. From what I've read, it seems like the Tunze is a better option than the Ghost, although I'll do a little more research before I get it. Thank you (and Weikel and Spectra) for all of your help. I feel much more confident about this tank now! 

1 hour ago, oneart said:

Only reason I went peninsula was the contest they had last year on here. I loved my 20 but just wanted a bigger tank.......have a 100 gallon now.

As for the IM skimmer look into the tunze. I have ran the ghost skimmer on a IM10 same one that fits the 20 and it is just minimal at best. I also ran the big one on a IM30 forgot about that tank. It to didn't pull anything dark at all. Search out the Tunze people do make them fit and have good results.

On my 20 I didn't run a skimmer and just did weekly 5 gallon water changes. Also upgraded the return pump to a Sicce and ran an MP10 inside.

2 minutes ago, spectra said:
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

As for the IM skimmer look into the tunze. I have ran the ghost skimmer on a IM10 same one that fits the 20 and it is just minimal at best. I also ran the big one on a IM30 forgot about that tank. It to didn't pull anything dark at all. Search out the Tunze people do make them fit and have good results.

Okay, thanks! So, common sense tells me not to get the Ghost. A little part of me is worried that removing a panel for the Tunze will cause leakage (based on their old tanks) but this is probably irrational paranoia. The Ghost is pricey at $150, whereas the Tunze is $115 so it's also more economical. In fact, I think the Ghost is one of the more expensive nano skimmers! I also thought about the glass tube type skimmers but don't like the idea that they don't sell replacement parts and I don't want to have to chance the air stone all the time. I'm going to review the list from Tamberav also, but Tunze is definitely a top contender. Thank you again! 

2 minutes ago, oneart said:
39 minutes ago, oneart said:

So I don't know what IM deal is but they have been changing the prices through out the day for a week now.. some really crazy prices I got a hundred dollar reactor for 35 bucks brand new.. you just have to check the price multiple times through out the day on amazon.. right now the ghost skimmer is 85, but I have seen it a little lower in the last week too.. that is if you want the ghost..

Screenshot_20180221-090756.png

I ordered the tank! :) Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm not sure I would have taken the leap otherwise. I paid and extra $5.00 to have it in 1 to 3 days from Marine Bulk Supply (reviews said they packed well and Marine Depot had just one left - I try not to buy the last one of anything!) I held off on the protein skimmer now and will wait to look into the sump to make sure I think I can cut a panel out for the Tunze. Amazon does have an excellent deal on the Ghost at the moment, but if the skimmer is bad, no deal is a good deal. Anyway, thanks all! I'm looking forward to my reef revival!