inTank Media Baskets

New IM EXT announced

mitten_reef

6 Month Update

My IM Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon is still working beautifully.  No leaks anywhere.  All critters are happy and growing.

The 18" square Trigger sump works great.  All pumps still working fine.

The only thing that has failed is the Finnex 200W water heater that I purchased for this tank.  It failed last week.  Don't know why.  Glad I have backup heaters!

Cheers!

Jim

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

This is an old thread but was wondering if anyone could share some light.

Why is the EXT series more expensive? The AIO have more material and even hardware.

Example: Nuvo 30 AIO is $350 and the Nuvo 30EXT (what I want) is $500. 

At that price I am not so sure anymore. Any thoughts? 

• 6 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, Matteo said:

This is an old thread but was wondering if anyone could share some light.

Why is the EXT series more expensive? The AIO have more material and even hardware.

Example: Nuvo 30 AIO is $350 and the Nuvo 30EXT (what I want) is $500. 

At that price I am not so sure anymore. Any thoughts? 

In all honesty, the aio is more for a the beginner reefers.  The chambers do not allow for much tuning and tweaking.  In our hobby, when fine tuning and refining means the difference between being able to safely and successfully raising high demand corals or disaster, aio doesn't give you the flexibility.  A sump allows more ways to tune your water with specialized equipment.

Secondly, the difference in cost is due to the new external overflow design that lowers water noise (slurps, gulps, trickles).  I am by no means an aquatic aquarium engineer, but at the end of the day, smaller hardware that goes into an aio back chamber is that, smaller and therefore cheaper.  

If you can sell someone less stuff for more money, you do it.  Simple as that.  (Not particular to these products or this company either.)

Also, when I upgraded after ten years to a 125 Gallon, I ditched the sump from my old multi-tank setup. 

It's hard for me to agree that AIO's are for beginners. 😉 

Maybe sumps are really for beginners?