ReefCleaners.org

New IM EXT announced

mitten_reef

burtbollinger
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

IM tanks appeal to reefers who want something clean looking but also with a budget in mind.

I feel like they are taking advantage of the uniqueness and upping the price game to something higher than I am used to from IM. 

I was hoping it would be around the AIO price gallon per gallon as they are both low iron but one has a built in aio/sump and the other is simply a box on the back with a few pieces of plumbing. 

I don't understand why at this price point it doesn't come with a sump? I'm pretty sure red sea comes with a sump...all plumbing .. And even ato? 

I figured they would skip those extras to bring down the price and let us budget minded collect our own extras... However it seems like this didn't happen. 

Agreed 110%.  makes the Red Sea Reefer 170 an incredible value IMO.  I won’t even get started on build quality, etc.

Not to fantasy price, but 750-800 was the sweet spot.  Just my 2 cents

• Like 1
Marine Depot

We just lowered the price of each tank by 15%. This special introductory pricing is only for a limited time. :o

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I had a  lot of the same thoughts as many of you. I've never kept salt before but have kept fresh for years so haven't really had to have much of a need for higher end tanks, aio or drilled tanks. So when i started looking at tanks for to get into the salt world i really like the nuvo fusion line because i wasn't ready to drill my own tanks even though i wanted a sump and the tank dimensions were what i was after, but there were issues i had with their baffling system(why not make the baffles go to the bottom of the tank instead of wasting that space). So along come the C-vue tanks and i'm again excited by these because of the bigger more efficiently used baffle area, but the slow release of info etc has me waiting still on a purchase. Next the EXT line is announced and it's like they knew exactly what i wanted. Like many of you, i expected the tank to be around the fusion prices mainly because it only comes with a few plumbing bits, not a full filtration system (pump filter socks etc). I balked when the base price for the lagoon 25 EXT was  60% higher than the aio lagoon 25.

The only reason I can think of for an increase of that much is that they required a factory re-tooling or something since it is a different construction and production but can't fathom how it would cost that much more. 

I would have paid 300 for the ext lagoon 25, but at 400 it should come with a sump like the RSR line.  

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Wow that price sucks, I thought these were slightly cool before.  Anyone else think about how the tank can only be placed the distance of that box on the back from the wall, seems like it would make the tank stick out a few extra inches.  I also feel like there is a reason no one else has siliconed in a box to the side of an aquarium, how much downward force would be needed to knock that chintzy overflow box off?  Also one overflow grill is a bad idea, I can't tell you the number of times my IM40 has had one of the 2 overflows clogged when I had bad GHA.  And marine depot is only showing how much they up the price normally as you know they are still making money at 15% off.  It's cheaper to buy the same tank dimensions in the black or nuvo fusion and drill that tank

4 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Wow that price sucks, I thought these were slightly cool before.  Anyone else think about how the tank can only be placed the distance of that box on the back from the wall, seems like it would make the tank stick out a few extra inches.  I also feel like there is a reason no one else has siliconed in a box to the side of an aquarium, how much downward force would be needed to knock that chintzy overflow box off?  Also one overflow grill is a bad idea, I can't tell you the number of times my IM40 has had one of the 2 overflows clogged when I had bad GHA.  And marine depot is only showing how much they up the price normally as you know they are still making money at 15% off.  It's cheaper to buy the same tank dimensions in the black or nuvo fusion and drill that tank

To be fair, I don't believe Marine Depot has any control over the price. I just asked them about a sale on IM tanks and they told me IM has a price policy that they can't discount tanks w/o IM's explicit authorization. There are other brands with this rule and that is why you see certain brands excluded from sales. 

• Like 2
Marine Depot
5 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

you know they are still making money at 15% off.

Margins on aquariums are slim (when selling them online, anyway). Worse than most product categories—save for salt, perhaps. But they are a gateway product that get people into the hobby. If shoppers don't find these prices palatable, the market will adjust, I imagine. Prices will drop, competitors may emerge with more affordable alternatives, etc.

We are travelling to Innovative Marine's headquarters this Friday to see the tanks in person for the first time. We're pretty excited! We'll know a lot more about the EXT tanks soon and we will be filming while we're there. :happydance:

• Like 3
tanacharison

The price seems like a bummer.. However it's really not far off considering what they charged for the Nuvo black line.  If you needed to buy a set of drill bits to install a modern overflow it would actually cost more to do it yourself. Personally I dislike the overflow they designed and I absolutely love the number of modern overflows now available  (Eshopps and Synergy).  Any glass box you buy with a really good overflow will exceed this intro price. It would be hard to compare to the Aquamaxx line because dimensions don't match up exactly but you would spend about the same if not more more pairing a good overflow with a tank from them if you match it up with the same display volume. 

IM Nuvo Black 30 for $270 + Overflow $130-$160 + Return plumbing $10-15 = $400-430.  Almost exact same price with much better overflow system. (with current 15% off)

IM Nuvo Black 40 for $329 + Overflow $130-$160 + Return plumbing $10-15 = $470-$500 $10 more than the one they are selling. (with current 15% off)

Red  Sea Reefer 170 is a amazing set up but at $1,000.  You can pick up a really nice sump and return for under $500 and your set up could be cheaper and would be really comparable if not better when picking your own tank, overflow and sump.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

The price seems like a bummer.. However it's really not far off considering what they charged for the Nuvo black line.  If you needed to buy a set of drill bits to install a modern overflow it would actually cost more to do it yourself. Personally I dislike the overflow they designed and I absolutely love the number of modern overflows now available  (Eshopps and Synergy).  Any glass box you buy with a really good overflow will exceed this intro price. It would be hard to compare to the Aquamaxx line because dimensions don't match up exactly but you would spend about the same if not more more pairing a good overflow with a tank from them if you match it up with the same display volume. 

IM Nuvo Black 30 for $270 + Overflow $130-$160 + Return plumbing $10-15 = $400-430.  Almost exact same price with much better overflow system. (with current 15% off)

IM Nuvo Black 40 for $329 + Overflow $130-$160 + Return plumbing $10-15 = $470-$500 $10 more than the one they are selling. (with current 15% off)

Red  Sea Reefer 170 is a amazing set up but at $1,000.  You can pick up a really nice sump and return for under $500 and your set up could be cheaper and would be really comparable if not better when picking your own tank, overflow and sump.  

I don't believe IM Nuvo Black line is low iron. Just wanted to throw that out there, some people think its important, some not on these smaller tanks. I was looking for a low iron with IM 25 lagoon footprint to add my own stuff and could not find one.

• Like 1
tanacharison
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I don't believe IM Nuvo Black line is low iron. Just wanted to throw that out there, some people think its important, some not on these smaller tanks. I was looking for a low iron with IM 25 lagoon footprint to add my own stuff and could not find one.

Very true... I thought some of the AIOs are low iron?

5 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Very true... I thought some of the AIOs are low iron?

The AIO's are. I was just talking about the Nuvo Black. I wish Aquamaxx made a shallow cube, I would be all over it!

• Like 1
Marine Depot
29 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The AIO's are. I was just talking about the Nuvo Black. I wish Aquamaxx made a shallow cube, I would be all over it!

We are happy to provide them that feedback. Dimensions? Gallons?

tanacharison
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Those dimensions are nice the UNS 60U is similar to what you are looking for.  If I decided to stop going with acrylic I would probably use a aquamaxx. Unless I wanted to pay $$$ for a reefsavvy. 

25 minutes ago, Marine Depot said:

We are happy to provide them that feedback. Dimensions? Gallons?

Something around 24x24x12 which would make it 30g.

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

@Marine Depot has those NUVO Black for a lot cheaper than you quoted tho (I think the 30 was under $200 and 40 is listed @ 209.99)  just a thought.

But overall, I do see your point on customization/customizability of the set up.  

Marine Depot
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Something around 24x24x12 which would make it 30g.

Just passed it along, thank you for the suggestion. :wub:

• Like 2
Christmas Corals
On 2/20/2018 at 6:56 PM, micoastreefing said:

This could be a game changer for IM.

Can this help them recapture/keep the ppl that might move away from their AIO for the full sump system, like Red Sea Reefer or Cadlight? 

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-EXT.html

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/20/nuvo-ext-updates-innovative-marines-tanks-external-overflow/

also a nice lil frag tank on RB. 

Beautiful tank! Brilliant design! Glad they're making these tanks on a commercial scale! I foresee a lot of people gravitating towards these tanks! Awesome! ??

Christmas Corals
On 2/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, HarryPotter said:

So it’s cool that it DOESNT lock you to a sump or anything, but hopefully it will be priced accordingly, leaving like 2 or 3 hundred to buy a sump. 

Exactly! Also fun to design or purchase a custom sump! This is a great point you stated! ??

Christmas Corals
On 2/21/2018 at 2:58 PM, Marine Depot said:

I have confirmed we'll be putting up the tanks today, although we won't begin accepting pre-orders until we can confirm how many of each tank we'll be allotted in Innovative Marine's first shipment. So photos, descriptions, etc. will be on MD shortly! Keep your eyes open for an awesome release video soon from IM. 

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Excited for this!! ???

• Like 1
HarryPotter
6 hours ago, Christmas Corals said:

Exactly! Also fun to design or purchase a custom sump! This is a great point you stated! ??

I know it’s a great point, I don’t need your approval ?

• Haha 1

If only they had a 20EXT i could compare the price too. this is my drilled 20black series. tank and overflow cost me $240. Then of course my custom sump, custom stand, custom canopy lol. only thing i saw as a downside(personal preference) is that it was a herbie overflow vs the bean animal.

28699126_1153999574736439_6602857518306744713_o.jpg

28701113_1153999541403109_8203469351984545866_o.jpg

28701277_1153999508069779_5856659538593683562_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
Marine Depot
Just now, RobSpeed13 said:

If only they had a 20EXT i could compare the price too. this is my drilled 20black series. tank and overflow cost me $240. Then of course my custom sump, custom stand, custom canopy lol. only thing i saw as a downside(personal preference) is that it was a herbie overflow vs the bean animal.

28699126_1153999574736439_6602857518306744713_o.jpg

28701113_1153999541403109_8203469351984545866_o.jpg

28701277_1153999508069779_5856659538593683562_o.jpg

That is beautiful work!

2 minutes ago, Marine Depot said:

That is beautiful work!

Thanks its been a great time creating this beauty. looking forward to putting water in it soon.

• Like 1
Marine Depot
1 minute ago, RobSpeed13 said:

Thanks its been a great time creating this beauty. looking forward to putting water in it soon.

I just chatted the link over to IM. I think they'll be delighted. It's so nice!

• Like 2
HarryPotter

I realize that an EXT system would not actually not more expensive than most other lines like Red Sea or WaterBox.... $600 for the 50 gallon and $500 for the stand leaves $350 for a sump. Same price as other 50 gallon sumped systems, and you can make your own stand and save hundreds. Plus EXTERNAL OVERFLOW! ?

I would prefer plumbing it myself and having customization; the Red Sea plumbing is silent but had nothing for reactors. 

Send me a shallow 25 lagoon one @Marine Depot, I’ll plumb it into the reefer and have a frag growout! ?

• Like 2