inTank Media Baskets

Replacement Pump for Nanoprop 5000

dopey

Hi,

I have an aqua medic yasha tank. This originally came with a nanoprop 5000 return pump. -- http://aqua-medic.co.uk/product/nanoprop-5000/

I thought I had found a replacement after scouring the internet, but unfortunately the retailer emailed me today letting me know it was discontinued and is offering a refund.. I'll look elsewhere but have low expectations of finding an OEM replacement.

The pump sits behind the divider in a 30x30x35cm tank. I need to measure but it'll likely only have around 4cm between the return hole in the divider and the backwall. You can see the hole in these pics https://imgur.com/a/6t2n8

Am I better off trying to find a pump I can put directly in the hole, mounted against the back glass. OR a tiny return pump which sits at the bottom and plumb a return hose into the existing hole in the dividing wall?

Any suggestions how to go about this? I'm thinking a tiny return pump(if they exist) that can sit in reservoir + hose is likely best choice?

Dopey,

I  posted a solution for this a while ago in another thread, tank was from a friend of mine and worked perfectly.

There is a picture of it in this thread.

thank you for that!

I actually ended up with the optional adapter for the nanoprop arriving today:) -- https://www.zoo.se/aqua-medic-aquaflowfix-nanoprop-5000.html

Thinking combining a small pump like you linked + pvc, could probably still be able to direct the flow with the adapter

Since this will be a reef tank, should I consider a pump DIY mod for return and use a power head in a corner to generate a better current?

thanks again! I had searched but not found that thread:D

After much digging, having a hard time deciding. It doesn't look like those model pumps in the photo exist anymore:D They are tunze, but not the new style.

It is also seemingly impossible to get accurate measurements for them... as no one sizes a pump this way:P

Like this is for a the 6015 nanostream:

For aquariums from 40 to 200 liters (10 to 55 USgal.).
Flow rate: approx. 1,800 l/h (475 USgal./h)
Energy consumption: 3.5 W
Voltage / frequency: 230V/50Hz (115V/60Hz)
Cable length: 2 m (78.7 in.)
Dimensions: diam. 70 mm (2.7 in.)
Outlet: ø40/15 mm (1.5/.6 in.)
Magnet Holder with Silence clamp up to a glass thickness of 12 mm (1/2").

What is 70mm the 'ball' shape?! The outlet, is it 40mm? Then what is 15mm? Nevermind how long is the thing tip to tail within the tank..

It looks like I have 9x9 area in the bottom i could place a return, then plumb piping to the 4cm exit hole.

I am inclined to use this; https://www.drakfisken.se/returpumpar/1363-tunze-silence.html

My thought, is your return really aught to be lower flow to give more time in the 'sump' and protein skimmer. Then add a power head inside the tank to have flow. This have the added advantage of multiple sources of current.

Or is this a really bad idea?

I really appreciate the link you shared though @Rory282 ! Just struggling trying to reproduce it, and can't help but wonder if a better solution is the above.. low flow out of sump high flow in tank itself..

After much debating.. I've ordered an SW-4.  It's somewhere between 7.5-7.9CM. As close as I can find, or rather confirm.

will follow up if this works, and if so what it took.. incase some other unfortunate soul out there ever needs a nanoprop 5000 replacement.........

Dopey,

The pump my friend was using was the jebao rw4 you can still find them on amazon. He only ran a tunze 9001 and the jebao rw4 in that tank. 

I just found a better pic of this B). The sw4 should be the same size. 

DBBE4377-457A-4875-BB5B-E18D9362DFC8.thumb.png.95c51dfb4bada451c5ad9b79bcb16d4d.png

Ahh that makes more sense, I thought that was a super odd shaped pump! Now I see it's two.

Bit of an odd design though? Why would you have a pump in the back like he has the time.

Thanks again!

46 minutes ago, dopey said:

Ahh that makes more sense, I thought that was a super odd shaped pump! Now I see it's two.

Bit of an odd design though? Why would you have a pump in the back like he has the time.

Thanks again!

I should have mentioned that the tunze magnet you see is the ato :D. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Now that makes sense ! 

Thanks again, I feel confident in the sw4 I ordered :)

Still tempted to try a low volume return pump in the bottom, then use the sw4 in the display tank..but can start with this solution and if unhappy try that:)

Sorry to hijack!

14 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Dopey,

The pump my friend was using was the jebao rw4 you can still find them on amazon. He only ran a tunze 9001 and the jebao rw4 in that tank. 

I just found a better pic of this B). The sw4 should be the same size. 

DBBE4377-457A-4875-BB5B-E18D9362DFC8.thumb.png.95c51dfb4bada451c5ad9b79bcb16d4d.png

Is the rw4 just slotted into the gap where the nano prop was meant to be? If it works well this would be a great idea!

6 hours ago, Kishan313 said:

Sorry to hijack!

Is the rw4 just slotted into the gap where the nano prop was meant to be? If it works well this would be a great idea!

Kishan, yes it's just fitted in the back chamber and he slid it right through the opening where you attach the nanoprop. It takes a few tries before you get the correct lenght. It worked flawlessly for 2 years.

6 hours ago, dopey said:

Now that makes sense ! 

Thanks again, I feel confident in the sw4 I ordered :)

Still tempted to try a low volume return pump in the bottom, then use the sw4 in the display tank..but can start with this solution and if unhappy try that:)

No problem Dopey, the sw4 will work out fine.

I understand the idea of a slow return pump (i have a slower return pump in my nuvo 10 than the original it came with) but imho in the yasha it's al about flow through the back chamber. There is no foam or media filter in the back normally only the turboflotor blue 500 and a heater (and maybe an ato). So slowing down the flow in the back chamber might cause more detritus to build up there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Kishan, yes it's just fitted in the back chamber and he slid it right through the opening where you attach the nanoprop. It takes a few tries before you get the correct lenght. It worked flawlessly for 2 years.

No problem Dopey, the sw4 will work out fine.

I understand the idea of a slow return pump (i have a slower return pump in my nuvo 10 than the original it came with) but imho in the yasha it's al about flow through the back chamber. There is no foam or media filter in the back normally only the turboflotor blue 500 and a heater (and maybe an ato). So slowing down the flow in the back chamber might cause more detritus to build up there.

I was planning to run a bag with carbon and perhaps gfo back there. Think that's a bad idea?

59 minutes ago, dopey said:

I was planning to run a bag with carbon and perhaps gfo back there. Think that's a bad idea?

It’s not a bad idea but it probably won’t be the most effective way. The water isn’t pushed through the media. 

If you have the place for a small reactor i would do that instead. Maybe the tunze 9001 skimmer with the aqua medic multi reactor s could work?

16 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Kishan i forgot to mention he slid a small pvc pipe through the opening and pressed it against the rw4 so it worked just like the original nanoprop. 

Thanks for the tip, sounds like a good solution for me without going crazy with too many complex mods lol, thanks guys. 

Got the pump, here is my solution.

I need to finish sanding the pipe where I cut it. You want a 4cm diam pvc pipe, and cut it about 4.5cm!

If you don't have that rubber, you can probably just put some type of ruber around the pipe *behind* the wall to act as a stopper.

Unfortunately I noticed a small scrape on the bottom of the glass. You can feel it with your fingernail from the bottom, but not from inside the tank. :-/ Guessing a piece of sand or something caused it at some point:-/

IMG_20180224_172348.jpg

IMG_20180224_172351.jpg

• Like 2