ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec SPS Peninsular - RIP Lana

k4ndyk1ng

It is very hard to take a picture of Lana as she is always on the move, Sam however is very chill and is out and about now. 

1.jpg

And the birdsnest already has some good growth tips.

2.jpg

Best regards. 

• Like 1

Small update, nothing has happened within the tank and all the corals appear to be happy for the moment. Cleaning the glass on this tank has become such a chore as the rocks are way too close to the sizes of the tank so I am looking forward to the Fluval evo upgrade in a few months. Anyway for now here are some photos. 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Just ordered a couple of mangroves and they should be here in a few days, more photos incoming. Not sure if to keep them in the back or to put them in the display. Can sps encrust on the roots or will that kill the mangroves? 

Best regards.

CarolinaShoreReef
On 3/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, k4ndyk1ng said:

The rock also arrived today and with the rock stack the tank looks very crowded and there is not as much negative space as I would have liked. This is alright because it gives me a good excuse to upgrade in the summer :) 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

I hear you on the space, almost forces you to upgrade! Loving your build so far, check mine out if you get a chance!

Got a little update here, nothing new in the tank but the corals are starting to settle down in the tank. Got a little bit of GHA nut it seems to have calmed down and stopped growing and hopefully it will just die off.

Getting good polyp extension here.

1.jpg

And good extension and growth here.

2.jpg

Plating coral doing very well.

3.jpg

Green acro, I bleached it under the LED so took it out the light and it has now browned out.

4.jpg

Brown acro I got very cheap, seeing what happens with it.

5.jpg

Best regards.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

where did you get the surface skimmer from?

It is a surface skimmer for a JBJ tank, I don't know if the ebay link will work, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modular-Surface-Skimmer-For-JBJ-Nano-Cube-12G-24G/332148789232?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Very cool, tagging along!

Thank you, hopefully I can deliver!

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

We now have loads of pods, since Lana only stays on the one side of the tank the other side is covbered in pods, every white dot is a pod.

Best reagrds.

1.jpg

CarolinaShoreReef
29 minutes ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

We now have loads of pods, since Lana only stays on the one side of the tank the other side is covbered in pods, every white dot is a pod.

Best reagrds.

1.jpg

Whatd you use to cover up the filter slot? I had silicon there but it came off from my diy media basket. I was thinking of gluing a chunk of gsp onto it.. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Whatd you use to cover up the filter slot? I had silicon there but it came off from my diy media basket. I was thinking of gluing a chunk of gsp onto it.. 

I just used some 2 part putty from fluval as it was the cheapest on amazon at the time.

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

First time leaving this tank as I have gone home for the week, got my housemates looking after Lana and they are always keepingmy updated on her.

Best regards.

Tank has been going alright and just chugging along and some growth has started, still trying to figrure out where to put corals due to the tank size, an upgrade is in the works. The two par 38 bulbs and goosenecks have arrived so now the whole tank is lit up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Best regards.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Keep me updated on how those bulbs do 

It is funny you ask as one of the bulbs was broken on arrival as it flickers when it gets warm so I have the par 20 back over the tank. I don't know what will happen with the bulb as it is from China.

1.jpg

Best regards.

• Thanks 1

I pulled the trigger and ordered loads of sps frags which will be here on Wednesday, moved my powerhead to the other side of the tank which gave me more flow and the green acro is loving it.

1.jpg

Best regards.

All the corals arrived today, some arrived in very bad condition with tissue missing and two were straight up white with their flesh in the pot. Ordered 20 and 32 arrived so I now have way too many for my tank. Tank is cloudy due to all the sps stress slime hopefully it wil clear up as it is in a positive feedback loop of more sliming. Acros are mainly looking bad all the montis are looking good. Tank also stinks of the slime so hopefully the carbon will help with that.

1.jpg

Best regards.

Woke up this morning to dead clownfish and almost all the acros white, I am guessing it has been a mini tank crash due to too much sps slime in a positive feedback loop, leaving it all in there fornow and seeing what happens and changing 50% of the water twice per day to help stabilise things. Will not be making any new purchases on this tank until I get the 20g upgrade with a skimmer. RIP Lana.

Best regards.

• Sad 2
20 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

That’s rough, sorry to hear that. 

On 07/04/2018 at 12:29 AM, Lorekeeper said:

Sorry to hear!

Cheers guys, hopefully this bump will even out.

Best regards.

• Like 1

As fast as this tank started it is slowing down, nothing new or exciting is going to happen to this tank until mid June when my exams are done. I will continue feeding Sam and doing 2 waterchanges per week and seeing how the tank goes. I will restart when I get the newer tank which will be easier to work on and has a skimmer to help alleviate any problems that will occur, also the larger water volume will help with stability. For the sps that survived the ordeal they are doing very well.

Best regards.

• Like 2