Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Spec SPS Peninsular - RIP Lana

k4ndyk1ng

Hi guys I am back with a pico which will be at my uni house, I am collecting the tank tomorrow and hopefully getting some rock for the tank this weekend or next weekend. For now all I have is the space the tank will go on. 

Also if anyone can show me how to remove my signature because I can't seem to find the setting to do so. 

Best regards.  

Tank position.jpg

• Like 1
On 20/02/2018 at 7:02 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Good to see you back @k4ndyk1ng! Looking forward to seeing your new pico build!

You can edit your signature in your account settings: https://www.nano-reef.com/settings/ ☺️

Thank you, the tank has now been collected and in place, now for this weekend to get the fill going. Wondering if anyone can give me some help with the light, the gooseneck leaves the light at a slight angle and If anyone has any good ideas of what I can do that would be much appreciated. 

Best regards. 

IMG_20180221_192127.jpg

IMG_20180221_192117.jpg

Christopher Marks

Can you manipulate the gooseneck to curve outwards closer to the mounting point? I suspect you will need to have the light higher above the waterline anyhow. If that's not working, maybe you can mount the light on the edge of the dividing baffle?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Can you manipulate the gooseneck to curve outwards closer to the mounting point? I suspect you will need to have the light higher above the waterline anyhow. If that's not working, maybe you can mount the light on the edge of the dividing baffle?

Yeah I have tried the best I can, this light will have to do for now with the goose neck until I can find something more suitable. I don't want to mount it on the baffle as it would put too  much force through the weir which is very weak and break the clean aesthetic I am trying to go with on this tank. 

1 hour ago, kalristo said:

Awesome! Any plans on corals or livestock you're going with?

I am not too sure with livestock yet, I have a few idea though. I am thinking either a fire shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp or loads of sexy shrimp. Maybe a little yellow clown goby as they are very cute and suitable for this tank size. Coral wise I am going to start with some zoas but the main goal of this tank is sps, hence why I don't want much livestock to increase the bioload as this will be run skimmerless. 

Best regards. 

Got some very mature live rock and some hermit crabs, live rock is very mature and was kept in water on the way home so hopefully it should cycle very soon. Also got a ceramic arch coming at the end of this week as the main centrepiece of the aquascape.

Best regards. 

IMG_20180226_212246.jpg

21 hours ago, vlangel said:

Nice, that is going to look great!

Thank you, I need to go and check out your tanks and catch up from a few years ago. In the meantime I have some pictures of the inhabitants and trying out the camera. 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
On 28/02/2018 at 10:05 PM, vlangel said:

I have a bumble bee snails too.  Living in Pittsburgh with all black and gold sports teams, I had to have bumble bee snails.

That's cool, I just got them because I love them aha, and they stay quite small.

16 minutes ago, LeeJiYoung said:

following :) 

Thank you, hopefully this tank goes where I want it too. 

Best regards. 

• Like 1

A little update here, the rock I had was too large for the tank as it was touching the edges so I took the hammer to it and made 3 smaller rocks and some of my housemates got involved too. I think the little stack turned out alright just hoping the tank doesn't look too crowded when the arch arrives on Monday. I have the small par 20 bulb over the stack and I have a new par 38 bulb on the way which will go over the arch and light all that, as the corals grow I may get another light to avoid shading as best I can. 

Best regards.

1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Got some corals today from a local reefer, just put them in the tank and took some photos. 

Best regards.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

The surface skimmer for the spec arrived today all the way from America. Puttied it on as neat as I could but I didn't do a very good job. 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

A little picture of what is in the back chamber of my spec, the ATO, heater and return pump. I will cut a proper piece of filter floss to fit into the surface skimmer. 

3.jpg

The rock also arrived today and with the rock stack the tank looks very crowded and there is not as much negative space as I would have liked. This is alright because it gives me a good excuse to upgrade in the summer :) 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Now be truthful, did you really need an excuse to upgrade? LOL!

You're on to me, there is defiantly an upgrade coming in the summer after all my exams are over. I got a new pump and I got the jecod sw-2 to keep my corals happy and changed the rock slightly as I broke it off when I was trying to clean the glass and it wouldn't stay as I broke the putty. New lights are on the way from china so I can finish filling this tank up. Also peninsular tanks are very hard when the tank is only 7.5" wide, more reasons to upgrade! 

Best regards. 

1.jpg

• Like 1

I hear ya on the difficulty of scaping and cleaning a narrow tank.  Just not enough room to work.  I was teasing you about the upgrade...its what all us reefers do.  We are dreaming of the next tank before we finish the current one.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I hear ya on the difficulty of scaping and cleaning a narrow tank.  Just not enough room to work.  I was teasing you about the upgrade...its what all us reefers do.  We are dreaming of the next tank before we finish the current one.

I am most defiantly dreaming of that fluval evo... My rock work would be the perfect size for it as I could then get the island look and space to clean the glass! Not too long until summer now. 

Best regards. 

Like the new scape, can get some decent amount of corals on that real estate now ?... can I ask where you get the tank from?

i see your from the uk also.? I’m from the West Country ??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lynton said:

Like the new scape, can get some decent amount of corals on that real estate now ?... can I ask where you get the tank from?

i see your from the uk also.? I’m from the West Country ??

Thank you, I can't wait to fill this tank up with the corals. I've had the tank for a few years now but I was just from one of the LFS round here. I am also down in Dorset at the moment.

Best regards. 

We have some fish in the tank now. I have a little clown and I got a cleaner shrimp, I also managed to get hold of some sps. The sps were at the bottom of the coral tank at the lfs so they were browned out, hopefully they have some good colour. Anyway some photos. 

Lana the clown 

1.jpg

Sam the shrimp 

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Best regards. 

• Like 3