Top Shelf Aquatics

M-A-T-T-Y Fluval Evo 13.5

M-A-T-T-Y

Another contributing factor in the rise of ammonia could be from die-off from the live rock you added (unless it was kept submersed from the time it left the LFS to the time it got to your tank).

I agree in that it should level out soon. 

• Thanks 1
On 07/03/2018 at 4:28 AM, Christopher Marks said:

I think you're right, removing the stock filter media could be the cause of your ammonia spike, the denitrifying bacteria were likely establishing within it. Things should start to level out again soon. :) 

On 07/03/2018 at 8:21 AM, SeaFurn said:

Another contributing factor in the rise of ammonia could be from die-off from the live rock you added (unless it was kept submersed from the time it left the LFS to the time it got to your tank).

I agree in that it should level out soon. 

Excellent! Thank you Christopher & Seafurn.

I will do a water test tonight and top the tank up with some RO Water, but then I will be away for the next 4 days.

So hopefully when I get back in 4 days I am getting a 0 reading for Ammonia again :)

Getting excited that it is all coming along, I will be ordering the AI Prime HD in roughly a weeks time.

Tank Age is about a month now!
Just got back from my 4 days away, tank has taken a bad turn :(

Diatoms are completely gone as far as I can tell, however it has now begun to develop Green Hair Algae!

I am thinking I will leave lights off for the rest of the week and see how it looks on Friday.

5aa664ca304ee_Screenshot2018-03-12at10_30_05PM.png.ecef3fc680642e0f69d8b65901066332.png

In addition, my Alkalinity has dropped below a suitable level, and Ammonia seems to be getting worse!

My High Range PH Test I cannot even determine what it is, as it doesn't appear to match any of the colors...

5aa664e9e1613_Screenshot2018-03-12at10_15_49PM.png.b9bba9c966b55f18c26d0c0fbfc4b513.png

1.png.f2147ee108735f14d7fca21e4dd74477.png  2.png.c4c7c8aae3592903588f5ab430122bf1.png

After I performed the test, I replaced filter floss, did a ~25% water change and scrubbed what algae I could with a tooth brush (seemed to have no effect on the large GHA).

Here is a current Full Tank Shot:

4.thumb.jpg.49f432d862bab55b21774e4176e16267.jpg

Questions

1. Anyone able to tell what Ammonia reading is? I am guessing around 0.4 at the moment. Fairly disappointing to see it is still increasing. I am not entirely sure why but I will see how we go during this week.
  2. The High Range PH results don't look anything like what is on the scale. Thoughts? I am assuming this is very bad.
  3. Do I need to be concerned about the Green Hair Algae or part of a new tank cycle?
  4. What would cause the Alkalinity drop, and how do I bring it back up?

Thanks in advance for your help, feel like I badly need it at the moment.

13 March 2018 Update:

Did another test today after yesterdays big scrub and water change.

• Looks like I did not add enough Salt Water back in, so I have just added a bit more Salt Water.
  • PH I think is 8.3? Bit hard to tell.
  • Ammonia looks a lot closer to 0 today than it did yesterday.
  • Calcium dropped significantly so I have dosed the tank with some Calcium.
  • Still unsure what to do about Alkalinity.

image.png.ba7ba7ef6276c38c72149b0a07ec3d4f.png

1-3.png.8e6260b5f4302bfcad2f098a20cdbd60.png   2-3.png.c6997128b81b85eecf984c25dab8e288.png

Questions

1. Anyone able to tell what Ammonia reading is? I am guessing around 0.1 at the moment.
  2. The High Range PH results don't look anything like what is on the scale. Thoughts? I think roughly 8.3?
  3. Do I need to be concerned about the Green Hair Algae or part of a new tank cycle?
  4. What would cause the Alkalinity drop, and how do I bring it back up?
  5. What would cause the Calcium to plummet overnight like it did?

Thank you.

Yeah, ammonia isn't 0 and it isn't 0.25 so that's a good estimate.

No idea on the PH...I'm not familiar with API test kits.  

I'd remove as much of the GHA as you can - scrub it with a toothbrush with peroxide. There are several threads on the site that explain how.  The good news is you don't have any corals in the tank so you can take the rock out of the tank to do the work. 

Do you mix your own water?  Have you tested the water you're putting into the tank to know what the parameters are before you add it?

At this point I wouldn't be chasing alkalinity or calcium because you don't have any corals in the tank.  When you do, you'll want to be targeting the parameters that your salt mixes to. 

After scrubbing your rocks I'd do some water changes over the next several days and see if you can get the parameters back to what they were on Feb 25 / Mar 1 timeframe. I'm guessing there's also probably high phosphates in your water now (which you aren't testing for) which are nutrients for the algae.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I'd remove as much of the GHA as you can - scrub it with a toothbrush with peroxide. There are several threads on the site that explain how. 

Okay will do, wasn't quite sure how hard to go with the scrubbing.
Didn't want to scrub off anything that may be beneficial (e.g. the corraline).

Do you mix your own water?  Have you tested the water you're putting into the tank to know what the parameters are before you add it?

No I purchased the Salt Water from my LFS.
It was what I filled the tank with for the first readings so I believe it is probably fine, but I will test it again.

I have been considering just using RO water and getting my own salt and mixing it myself.

After scrubbing your rocks I'd do some water changes over the next several days and see if you can get the parameters back to what they were on Feb 25 / Mar 1 timeframe. I'm guessing there's also probably high phosphates in your water now (which you aren't testing for) which are nutrients for the algae.

Will be doing testing and water changes accordingly (daily for testing) for a while after this weekends hiccup.

I'm about to do an order for some media etc. from an LFS so I will add some extra test kits to cover what I don't at the moment (Phosphates).

Thank you for your continue help SeaFurn, much appreciated.

Have been doing a lot of testing and water changes, GHA appears to have stopped growing and is disappearing so that's good.

Parameters are starting to look good again, everything is where you'd want it to be except for Alkalinity and Calcium which are both low.

However I've discovered 3 small bits of Aiptasia... 

I quickly scrubbed them off, then researched it more and found out that's not recommended as it can cause it to spread, bit disheartening to find that our afterwards.

What's the most recommended method of removing Aiptasia?

Feel like I'm making every "new tank owner" mistake there is! I'll get there eventually I'm sure.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry. There's a chance that you might not have killed it by scrubbing. They can retract instantly into the tiniest of spaces only to pop up again when you didn't expect it.

Do a search on the topic on here  and you'll get a bunch of suggestions. 

I've only had a few and I blasted them with scalding hot water using a syringe. They melted right up!

What was the alk and ca measurements of the new water you were adding? 

If it tests in a normal range (higher than the tank water) and you're doing water changes,   your tank water should eventually start testing higher as well. 

On 16/03/2018 at 9:21 PM, SeaFurn said:

I've only had a few and I blasted them with scalding hot water using a syringe. They melted right up!

Thanks Seafurn, I did the boiling water method and it appears to have done the job for now!

On 16/03/2018 at 9:27 PM, SeaFurn said:

What was the alk and ca measurements of the new water you were adding? 

I still need to confirm this, I am actually almost out and going to get a new tub of water this week.

When I get the new tub of water I will test it before I do anything else.

Latest test results are starting to look good again! Ammonia could be 0, but it is rather hard to tell with the API Test Kit. So I am marking it as 0.5 until I get another Test Kit and can get both showing 0.

TestUpdate.png.b11b50b843524444b2b8995e9340c6db.png

Algae appears to have cleared right up and I have noticed some critters!
I am pretty sure they are Stomatella snails after researching online. Seems like they are good to have? I noticed 3-4 of them in the tank last night when I turned the light on, they seem to hide when the light is on so it's quite hard to get photos.

Stomatella.thumb.png.1f3e823969a0a8c1d3ade1d403673df8.png

Replaced the filter wool again after testing last night as it gets brown fairly quick.
Will leave the tank alone today and do another round of testing tomorrow.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:58 AM, M-A-T-T-Y said:

Thanks Seafurn, I did the boiling water method and it appears to have done the job for now!

I still need to confirm this, I am actually almost out and going to get a new tub of water this week.

When I get the new tub of water I will test it before I do anything else.

Latest test results are starting to look good again! Ammonia could be 0, but it is rather hard to tell with the API Test Kit. So I am marking it as 0.5 until I get another Test Kit and can get both showing 0.

TestUpdate.png.b11b50b843524444b2b8995e9340c6db.png

Algae appears to have cleared right up and I have noticed some critters!
I am pretty sure they are Stomatella snails after researching online. Seems like they are good to have? I noticed 3-4 of them in the tank last night when I turned the light on, they seem to hide when the light is on so it's quite hard to get photos.

Stomatella.thumb.png.1f3e823969a0a8c1d3ade1d403673df8.png

Replaced the filter wool again after testing last night as it gets brown fairly quick.
Will leave the tank alone today and do another round of testing tomorrow.

Sounds like things are headed in the right direction and it's a good sign to see the tank maintaining life. So now you might want to think about adding your CUC soon. 

Definitley test the new batch of water you get so you know what your target parameters are...and it's just a good thing to do in generally because I have read way too many stories on here about people getting less than ideal water from their LFS. 

If the target parameters are not what you desiring then you may have to find a salt closer to what you are looking for and mix it yourself with RODI water (or distilled would work). 

• Thanks 1

22 Mar 2018 Update:
Stomatellas seem to be reproducing, or I am just noticing more. They are hard to see during the day but we've counted at least 6 out at once (various different sizes). They appear to make a big difference on the rock but not so much to any algae on the glass of the tank.

On 20/03/2018 at 9:43 PM, SeaFurn said:

Sounds like things are headed in the right direction and it's a good sign to see the tank maintaining life. So now you might want to think about adding your CUC soon. 

I have been considering getting the following to start my CUC after a couple more good water tests in a row:

• 2x Trochus Snails
  • 2x Nassarius Snails

Latest Tests have been pretty good! I think Ammonia is 0, it is hard to tell but the last few days the Ammonia has looked like 0.

I am going to get a new tub of RO Water, and a tub of Saltwater from my LFS on Saturday morning. I will get a different brand of Ammonia Test Kit while I am there so I can try and confirm it is 0.

22Mar2018.png.43a4e2fb20a44f28f0ecfbf52c768503.png

It seems odd that Ammonia has fluctuated but no difference in Nitrite, and minimal difference in Nitrate?

All in all a pretty good week for the Tank, we are very pleased :)

26 March 2018 Update:
Got the new tub of Saltwater Parameters are all good except for Specific Gravity which is rather high at 1.029.

This just means I will have to add the Saltwater to a bucket and some RO water before putting it into the tank though, not really a big deal I don't think. Testing results for the Saltwater batch:
26Mar2018SWBatch.png.5841389b428dd1f7541e0c59e805561e.png

The tank is doing great, Ammonia is definitely a solid 0 now.

I purchased a Phosphate Test Kit and have begun testing that as well now, all parameters seem good except for Calcium.
I have a bottle of Contiuum Reef Basis Reactor, which I've noticed in the past if I add a cap (5ml) it seems to bring Calcium up by roughly 20ppm, so will probably use that every few days until Calcium is mid 400.

26Mar2018.png.4f443528f5d0247dba99b7719f7c1c4f.png

I purchased 2 snails, the LFS didn't have technical name of them (just listed as "Algae Eaters") but I believe they are Nassarius snails. They don't seem to have made too much difference to the Algae on the glass in the time I have had them, but I didn't want to overdo it and felt buying 2 was sufficient for now.

I have not purchased any Fish yet, I think it's best I go a couple weeks of good parameters before I get my first fish (planning on 2x Clowns). However the LFS had a special on some Coral, perhaps it was a newbie mistake but I couldn't help myself from picking up 1 piece.

The LFS again didn't have specific names listed, but I believe it is an Alveopora Coral? The LFS has grown one of them very well in their display tank and uses Hikari Corilific Delite to feed it, so I got a pack of that as well. Fed it last night by turning all pumps/filters off, squirting the food all over the coral and letting it sit for a while. LFS said they only feed it once a week, does that sound right? 

After some additional research last night, I placed the Alveopora fairly high up in the tank, but not in too much flow. Here is an image of the Coral:

IMG_20180324_220135-02.thumb.jpeg.f6c641c4305eb64d258af262d886cc5b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

04 April 2018 Update:

Tank seems to be going fairly well lately!

There is still some small pieces of Aiptasia that are sticking around, boiling water doesn't seem to be doing the trick so I will try using a small amount of lemon juice mixed in water and see if that works.

Water Parameters have been great:

Image05.png.2ffe80ff543570c9c9d261e419844a0d.png

I bought 2 small Clown Fish 2 days ago, they seem to be pretty happy although one of them doesn't seem to like it's food much and prefers to bite at the Algae on the glass. One of them has also taken a liking to the Alveopora coral which so far, is still alive haha.

rsz_image01.png.8f151a748b058283ac676a051b7608b8.png  rsz_image02.png.aa3e282e35a5f83122f1df8982e7a886.png

I have also noticed 2 worms in my tank, very hard to get photos of and only come out at night.

I think they are Bristleworms and not something to worry about, can anybody confirm?

rsz_1image04.png.ac71c7ac9b0809c700a43569c1d3fe6e.png  rsz_2image03.png.56cd7ae4be31bc6dbb78dad3464dbbd6.png

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

Love the clown fish! Mine are so fun to watch. I just started noticing that my female eats bubble alga right off the rocks! 

Your alveopora looks good too.

Hopefully the lemon juice will take care of the aptasia. 

I've read that Aptasia-X works very well too. 

Yes, those look like bristle worms. Nothing to worry about. They help clean up detritus. 

• Thanks 1
On 04/04/2018 at 8:21 PM, SeaFurn said:

Love the clown fish! Mine are so fun to watch. I just started noticing that my female eats bubble alga right off the rocks! 

Your alveopora looks good too.

Thank you! I am nervous to get any more coral until the AI Prime HD arrives (roughly April 20th).

Managed to get my partner even asking when the light is coming because she loves the Alveopora and wants more Coral haha.

Hopefully the lemon juice will take care of the aptasia. 

I've read that Aptasia-X works very well too. 

I have seen some Aptasia-X in my LFS so if the Lemon Juice doesn't work that will definitely be the next step.

Yes, those look like bristle worms. Nothing to worry about. They help clean up detritus. 

Excellent! I think I might need to get a bit more CUC, I am still loosing to Algae, it gets on the rock/glass quicker than the snails/worms can eat it.

The Clowns only seem to like eating their pellet food when it is floating, once it hits the ground they ignore it.

I also am still having trouble getting one of them to eat, it don't seem to be declining in any way so I gather it is eating algae. But I am going to look at other options at the LFS anyway to see if I can find something they both like.

I'm enjoying this journey so far! We all have little bit of trouble in the beginning. Even with freshwater experience, there is a lot to learn! I've been doing this for 2 years now and sometimes I feel pretty confident and other times I feel like a beginner.

Great choice on tank! 

Looks like your tank is coming along and maturing. We all have highs and lows. I sound like a broken record, but just remember to take it slow! I'll be following along :)

13 Apr 2018 Update:

Parameters are looking good still, the 2 Clowns seem to be happy and the Alveopora seems to be healthy.

Unfortunately I have had some Algae outbreak again. I think it is Green Hair Algae, Calothrix anad maybe some Lyngbya?

I pulled out every rock last night (slowly, after carefully removing all the Stomatella's off each piece :rolleyes:), gave them all a scrub and then re-aquascaped.

I am tempted to get something to remove phosphate as I am concerned the Algae is using it all and that's why I am getting 0 readings.

I am also considering buying the following to assist with CUC:

• 2 x Trochus Snails
  • 2 x Astareas Snails

Photos of the Algae before I scrubbed everything:

IMG_20180411_221735.thumb.jpg.f841eec9a5b4ba2c2ca2f14559071764.jpg IMG_20180411_221738.thumb.jpg.6191c6846ff2227951e90d4b10b58eca.jpg IMG_20180411_221740.thumb.jpg.24fafc744a472fabe9dc14e158718927.jpg IMG_20180411_221747.thumb.jpg.543cc2484ec0b9806329570f0d66ef06.jpg  

On 06/04/2018 at 10:51 AM, sugar said:

Looks like your tank is coming along and maturing. We all have highs and lows.

Haha I was just saying to my girlfriend last night that "I've never had a hobby I enjoy make me so sad sometimes".

Algae will do that to you!

Going to hold off on buying any corals etc. for a while until Algae is sorted.

Also someone did a hit and run on my motorbike so I have to spend money fixing that instead :(

• Sad 1

Bummer about the algae.

There's got to be a nutrient issue if it keeps coming back. 

What is your feeding regimen? 

Water changes?

Lighting schedule? 

And bummer about bike. So frustrating! 

On 14/04/2018 at 9:13 AM, SeaFurn said:

Bummer about the algae.

There's got to be a nutrient issue if it keeps coming back. 

Yeah, thinking of getting some Phosban (or equivalent product) to remove any Phosphate the Algae might be consuming.

On 14/04/2018 at 9:13 AM, SeaFurn said:

What is your feeding regimen? 

Water changes?

Lighting schedule? 

• Pinch of food for the 2 Clowns nightly, squirt of Coral Food once per week.
  • Water change is ~30-40% once per week.
  • I think the lighting is on 11am - 10.30pm but I'll have to check again.

Get a Mexican turbo for the hair algae.  Unfortunately hair algae is usually a part of the process of a tank as it ages. It’s best to take out what you can and let it run its course. The snail should help though. 

Reduce the feedings of the clowns and coral if you can and reduce the light cycle too. Not so much that the coral is effected. It may take a little trial and error. Maybe reduce it an hour or so for a few days or week to make sure it isn’t negatively effected. Then another hour and repeat. Less light will starve the algae but also the algae in the coral so it’s a tough trade off. 

As I’m sure many have said be patient and take it slow. There are no quick fixes in this hobby. Quick fixes lead to more problems down the road. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, nicholc2 said:

Get a Mexican turbo for the hair algae.  Unfortunately hair algae is usually a part of the process of a tank as it ages. It’s best to take out what you can and let it run its course. The snail should help though. 

I've read that a Turbo might be a bit big for the Fluval Evo 13.5gal (53L) and may knock over Coral/Rockwork.

You think it will be okay?

I'll definitely start reducing light, seems like 12hrs a day might be a bit much!

I'd say reduce your light period to 8 hours a day. 12 hours is quite a lot. One turbo will be enough for your Evo (they do knock down corals if they're not glued down to the rock scape but they are big algae eaters). 

If you're not too sure about turbos, you can always get 2-3 astreas or the harder-to-find trochus snails. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, M-A-T-T-Y said:

I've read that a Turbo might be a bit big for the Fluval Evo 13.5gal (53L) and may knock over Coral/Rockwork.

You think it will be okay?

I'll definitely start reducing light, seems like 12hrs a day might be a bit much!

I had one in my 13 and it did great. Once it did its job I traded it back in. 

• Thanks 1

Have reduced my light to 8hrs and will look at getting a Turbo on Saturday morning.

Urgent Question:

I have run out of Salt & RO Water, which I only realised mid-water change.

The tank is full enough to just reach the overflow, however the overflow is too low and water drips right through the Biological filtration rather than water settling there. 

It settles at the level where the chemical filtration media is.

Currently it is Thursday night, won't be able to get to the LFS until Sat morning.

The way I see it I have 3 options:

1. Wait until Saturday morning, hope all is okay and trust the biological media will be fine (and the water barely going through it)
  2. Use Tap water to top it up 
  3. I live 10mins from a beach, can I use Natural Sea Water?

Thank you!