Top Shelf Aquatics

Blue Spot Jawfish, new updated information

SXReefer

We've all heard the stories of bsj disease, cold water, dsb, no opening lid, etc.

What's the story now compared to the 90s and early 2000s?  Has the survival rate increased?  80 degree water ok?  No more bsj disease due to proper collection practices?  If you're an owner, how long have you had yours?

And, I've read the bsj has a better personality than the pearly jawfish.  However, I've also read they're both the same with different "designs" and price tag.  What's your take if you're an owner?

Following, I've kept a Dusky Jaw before, but not a BSJ...was going to say too expensive, but I collected that Dusky myself and it was not a cheap expedition!

14 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Following, I've kept a Dusky Jaw before, but not a BSJ...was going to say too expensive, but I collected that Dusky myself and it was not a cheap expedition!

How long did your dusky live for while in your care?

He was mature when collected, approx 6 inches.  I kept him for just over a year.  Unfortunately I lost him, along with everyone else, in a major tank crash due to a prolonged power outage and fire.

I had the pearly, he had tons of personality. Always redoing his caves, would hover above it at times, and make big mouthed grumpy face at other fish who got to close to his home. I think personality comes down to individual fish as well.

I would still use a chiller to keep the reef 72ish and have a fair amount of open sand bed if I wanted a blue spot. Seems like trying to keep the environment closer to their habitat would always be a good idea and corals can handle 72.

Ever see the tattoo jawfish?

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/04/tattoo-jawfish/

I had a pearly too. Loved her. She was too cute with her little home in between rocks and crushed coral. Always bobbing up and down.

It was yrs ago. Don't see them that much here anymore.

11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I had a pearly too. Loved her. She was too cute with her little home in between rocks and crushed coral. Always bobbing up and down.

It was yrs ago. Don't see them that much here anymore.

Yeah, I think I may just settle for a pair for my evo.  Just saw 2 at the lfs.  Unfortunately, it wasn't eating so I will have to wait another week if they survive.

• Like 1

They are not packed as well as Divers Den fish but overall a good place to buy from. Why not just wait till one pops up on Divers Den though?

KPA aquatics is also a good vender and come from a shorter supply chain since you are getting a fish directly from a collector. Probably a better bet than Live Aquaria as far as health but LA has the 2 week guarantee.

https://www.kpaquatics.com/product-category/marine-fish/jawfish/

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, SXReefer said:

Thanks for the site @Tamberav.  The site lists a "yellow head jawfish" and another "pearly jawfish".  Is there a difference between the two?

KPA website: The difference between the Pearly and the Yellowhead Jawfish is that the Pearly Jawfish are imported from Haiti and don’t have as bright yellow head as the Florida ones.

• Thanks 1