Coral Vue Hydros

getting rid of Mushrooms without killing them

Mido

Sorry for the newbie question, got a fancy mushroom colony on a rock from a friend of mine , discovered that there is one head on the bottom of the rock which is different a still very unique, would like to take it off the rock but i am too afraid to break the rock around it cz i can't do it without crushing the mother colony, is it possible to use a razor and peel it off? will this kill it?

thanks

What kind of mushroom?

Ricordea it doesn't work so well as they have a different foot than rhodactis and discosoma.

Otherwise, most use a razor.

There are many videos on YouTube for removing/fragging mushrooms. It's a good idea to watch them.

Mushrooms can't be glued down though.

If you can put the rock in the tank so that it isn't buried in the sand, and just leave the mushroom where it is on the underside, it may move on its own if it wants light, or may just start multiplying and eventually grow to where it will be seen.

• Like 1

It might be the same type of mushroom but just look different since it was under the rock and not getting enough light. I would just remove it by scraping the rock under its foot with a razor. The mushroom then needs to be held down/trapped with some rock rubble or sand to attach to. Some people put them in a little dish with mesh over. Basically so it doesn't blow away and get lost. 

thanks guys for trying to help,

as of what kind of mushrooms it is ... no clue !!!!!!

the original colony is blue/ green with bright orange, yellow, brown spots at the edges pretty spectacular!, the head i am trying to remove is purple with blue dots all over

all the vids on you tube that i watched suggests cutting the rock , which i think it is impossible without applying enough force to cause harm to the mother colony,i might buy a dremmel tool and try to cut the rock with it ..

on another note i found ant like critters on my rock/ sand about 1-3 mm they are moving fast and smaller ones are almost clear while the larger ones almost have a brown line in the middle , they are not bristle worms for sure but have no clue what are they and whether i should be worried

my tank is 2 1/2 months old 34 Gal AIO, 

2 clowns 

2 nassaruis

4 torchus snails

duncan

zoas

GSP

Candy cane

and the new mushroom

parameters are 

phosphates 0.25

nitrates 10

Calcium 440

dKh 7-8 can't get it higher ( or should I)

marco live rock, 1.5 inch of aragonite, 30 lb rocks, added extra GFO in a bag and 

perigean/ chemipure elite/ seachem matrix in sump

any suggestions?

IMG_5974.JPG

ant like critters sounds like pods running around.

People suggest cutting the rock just so the mushroom is still attached to something as they can't be glued (slime up too much). They won't die easy and some people say you could chop them up and end up with tons of baby frag mushrooms. Don't sweat it. 

• Like 2

Yup. Mushrooms don't die easy.

I had one I cut off with a razor. Upgraded my tank, flipped the rock over, attached other corals on the new side- 4 months later I have 3 of those mushrooms grow from under the rock between little cracks.

They were in total darkness.

Your alk is fine. Stability is more important than a certain number. Your target it number is what your salt mixes at.

• Like 1

Those are pretty mushrooms. I still say just leave the loner alone unless it will be buried in the sand. Be careful about removing too many nutrients too fast. While I agree your nitrates and phosphates are a bit high, removing them too fast with too much chemical filtration (GFO and Purigen and Chemipure Elite) can cause problems for your corals.

• Like 1

I agree with @Pjanssen

Chemipure elite and gfo shouldn't be used together. Elite already has gfo in it, so you will strip the tank.

Better off using granulated carbon and gfo, or granulated carbon and phosguard. You can control the quantities when you but these in bulk and bag them yourself.

the elite and perigean has been in since the beginning i thighs that amount of gfo in the elite is not sufficient so i supplemented half dose which i would say have helped cz my phase was at 0.5 before !.. the idea if making my own sounds great just need to master the amount of each component...

clown 79 i see that u are in Canada, GTA by any chance? wanna ask u about fish stores  if u don't mind

7 hours ago, Mido said:

the elite and perigean has been in since the beginning i thighs that amount of gfo in the elite is not sufficient so i supplemented half dose which i would say have helped cz my phase was at 0.5 before !.. the idea if making my own sounds great just need to master the amount of each component...

clown 79 i see that u are in Canada, GTA by any chance? wanna ask u about fish stores  if u don't mind

Elite itself doesn't last as long as it claims.

I used to live in Toronto and gta, now I'm farther west.

Are you looking for livestock?

Stores with good reputations

Fragbox- never been but they have been around for a long time and have an excellent reputation

Canada corals- great store. Very well run. Tanks are pristine

Bigshowfrags- has a good reputation 

Coral reef shop Burlington - nice store

Aquatic kingdom - large selection

Big al's aquarium Mississauga - really well run big al's

Dry goods:

Reefsupplies.ca

Petsandponds.com

I would also add J & L Aquatics to the list, they have excellent prices for the most part on dry goods and ship Canada wide.. They also sell live stock and ship although you have to call the store to order live stock, I can say from living 15 mins away they take very good care of their live stock. They have been around 21 years so not a fly by night operation.

I always found pets and ponds to have higher prices, so I never ordered from them.

I did order from big show frags, the shipping was quick, but I wouldn't order from them again, I prefer now to buy corals in person so I can see what they look like, photos online are deceiving...

many thanks guys , i mainly used reef supplies for all my dry goods, but will check these other stores for  fish, cz ben to two of the big al's around me and they were not great at all, bubble algae, ice, dead fish... etc