TheCrockers200

Huge algae bloom after cycle HELP

TheCrockers200

Hey everyone! So our nano IM fusion 10 that has been up and running for about 2 months now is going through a huge algae bloom. Water parameters are good as far as ph, salinity, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. We have added a few snails but didn’t want to go crazy if for some reason the water isn’t right. Is there something else I should be testing the water for now? A lot of people say this is a normal part of the process but I am wondering should we be turning the light down or off and adding more cleanup crew? What are so recommendations for the sand bed and keeping it clear? 

It is okay to now add filter media to the tank, just planning on filter floss and chemipure blue in the upgraded media caddy basket. 

Also what are thoughts on the ghost protein slimmer? We have it in the tank but it’s not on right now...

F704A64F-6349-4E1F-A199-18BD38B5C2FB.jpeg

WV Reefer
1 minute ago, TheCrockers200 said:

Hey everyone! So our nano IM fusion 10 that has been up and running for about 2 months now is going through a huge algae bloom. Water parameters are good as far as ph, salinity, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. We have added a few snails but didn’t want to go crazy if for some reason the water isn’t right. Is there something else I should be testing the water for now? A lot of people say this is a normal part of the process but I am wondering should we be turning the light down or off and adding more cleanup crew? What are so recommendations for the sand bed and keeping it clear? 

It is okay to now add filter media to the tank, just planning on filter floss and chemipure blue in the upgraded media caddy basket. 

Also what are thoughts on the ghost protein slimmer? We have it in the tank but it’s not on right now...

F704A64F-6349-4E1F-A199-18BD38B5C2FB.jpeg

Hard to tell from pics for sure but looks like cyano not algae. 

I would suck it all out and up the flow. 

dandelion
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Hard to tell from pics for sure but looks like cyano not algae. 

I would suck it all out and up the flow. 

Agreed. With minimal livestock you can also do a 100% water change.

• Like 1

NanoRox

Thats cyano.  take it all out and hydrogen peroxide IMO

TheCrockers200

Agree on the cyano, I do also have algae, I should have taken a before picture I had just scraped the glass prior, I will be siphoning the sand and doing a hefty water change, also adding a small pump for some more flow in the tank thank you

• Like 1

jeffmr4

If it doesn't go away you could use chemiclean.  I've used that with success and no adverse effects on the tank.  Its pretty amazing really.  Be sure to pull your carbon if you do and follow the directions.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Clown79

Cyano for sure. 

Check phos levels. What's nitrates actually at? 

Add more flow to the area. That helps.

Yes you can add media now. I like purigen,  gac, floss. Phosguard is great for phos but you need to monitor levels and using small quantities is better.

During cyano outbreak filter floss will need changing more often than 2 times a week.

An additional water change during the week will help.

Clean out your return pump. It's gets full of crap after a cycle.

Are you vacuuming sand and turkey basting rocks during water changes 

What is your water source?

• Like 1