Innovative Marine Aquariums

I did a thing!

chaostactics

I was too lazy to put together the right combination of search terms to find the "IM 40 thread". 

Built this with a circular saw and a dremel tool. The tank is now silent >6" away, nearly zero light spill from the fuge at night, looks SOOO much more clean, and reduces salt creep on the walls (probably reduces evap too). 

Before you count on your own there are 7 wires and 3 pieces of tubing in/out of my rear chambers.

PhotoGrid_1518928252478.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, dandelion said:

That looks really neat!

Btw how do you like having the wires tied up? It looks nice but it’s more work when I want to pull an equipment for cleaning.

So I used to have the wires held with a ziptie or other similar product. Now I made a cleat like object out of acrylic that holds all the wires and tubes flat with a single rubber band that I can remove in two seconds. It keeps the wires and tubes from jumbling up, makes them lay nice and flat and makes them fit through that slot nicely. 

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

What materials did you use for the cover?

3/16 100% opaque black acrylic. It's worth noted that this top will sag (and I expected it to) with out support. So I took some scrap acrylic pieces approx 1" x 1/3" and glued them lomgwise around the inner surface of the rear walls at 10(ish) intervals with a fan of superglue exactly 3/16 down from the rim of the walls so that it sits perfectly flush. I used superglue instead of silicone because it's very brittle when holding acrylic to glass and if I ever want to undo them I can snap them back off the walls with a pair of channel locks. 

• Like 1