ReefCleaners.org

Aquarium Depot

GenericReefer

GenericReefer

On my quest to get more corals, I stumbled upon Aquarium Depot. It has mixed reviews between people, ranging from people getting quality livestock and others getting DOA packages. It doesn't seem too expensive, so is it worth a shot trying? 

7 minutes ago, GenericReefer said:

On my quest to get more corals, I stumbled upon Aquarium Depot. It has mixed reviews between people, ranging from people getting quality livestock and others getting DOA packages. It doesn't seem too expensive, so is it worth a shot trying? 

I use them all the time and they have been great. 

tdannhauser30

Prob the most hated saltwater company bar none. OR they were when they were called reefs2go, then renamed themselves aquarium depot. Horrible horrible reviews and even worse customer service. Thatttttt being said, I have placed two orders with them, one from each company ( during respective time frames) and been happy with both. So basically order at your own risk. Expect things to arrive dead and be pleasantly surprised if they make it lol. Do a quick google search, you will find more info on them than you know what to do with.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Prob the most hated saltwater company bar none. OR they were when they were called reefs2go, then renamed themselves aquarium depot. Horrible horrible reviews and even worse customer service. Thatttttt being said, I have placed two orders with them, one from each company ( during respective time frames) and been happy with both. So basically order at your own risk. Expect things to arrive dead and be pleasantly surprised if they make it lol. Do a quick google search, you will find more info on them than you know what to do with.

I had no idea that people hated them so much. I’ve had excellent experiences with them. They have cheap coral and inverts and I always buy pods off them when they are on sale. Everything is always packaged nicely and if you leave reviews they send you codes for money off your next order. 

tdannhauser30
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I had no idea that people hated them so much. I’ve had excellent experiences with them. They have cheap coral and inverts and I always buy pods off them when they are on sale. Everything is always packaged nicely and if you leave reviews they send you codes for money off your next order. 

Yeah do a search of them on this forum, any other, or google. Most people hate them. Although  I agree with you had good experiences both times. Especially for the ridiculously cheap prices they charge and free shipping packages, even if something doesn't make it and they ghost you when you try to make DOA claim, your still probably getting a decent deal lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have  it ordered from them since they were Reefs2go. I had 5 wonderful orders from them and one bad one. The customer service response to the bad one is why I haven’t gone back. Though, If they happened to have something I was looking for, I would prob give them another chance...

• Like 1
tdannhauser30
13 minutes ago, William said:

I have  it ordered from them since they were Reefs2go. I had 5 wonderful orders from them and one bad one. The customer service response to the bad one is why I haven’t gone back. Though, If they happened to have something I was looking for, I would prob give them another chance...

If you don't mind sharing, what was the customer service response that sent you away?  Just curious what could be heading my way when I get a bad order lol

I think they're definitely better than they used to be. I've ordered from them 3x in the past year and had good experiences. Only one DOA coral out of about 20. One thing to be aware of though, the pictures are usually very inaccurate and don't entirely represent the coral yo u will actually receive. Sometimes they're better, sometimes they're worse.

I had an order where I had two DOAs and they sent me the wrong fish, had a really hard time getting them to respond and in the end just gave up on recouping my money. But this was back in 2014

tdannhauser30
1 hour ago, William said:

I had an order where I had two DOAs and they sent me the wrong fish, had a really hard time getting them to respond and in the end just gave up on recouping my money. But this was back in 2014

Yea that sucks! Wrong coral i can live with. Wrong fish its like i dont even wanna put this in my tank.. Send you tang for 10 gal or something. Seems most feedback lately is positive tho so i say give em a try OP! (And report back)

• 1 year later...

It’s 2019 and I placed an order at the end of last week...All of my items arrived in great condition with the exception of a couple of the tiniest hermits. My order was huge. I bought $450 worth of critters and will post an unboxing video soon. I spoke with 1 of the owners through emails and she responded within 24 hours and most of the time the same day. I asked if they were under new ownership and she said no...but they use to have their employees running the show and now the owners are hands on.

They didn’t have the flame scallop out of the whole order...that is not bad. My anemone crab had algae growing on him but something will eat that quickly..Also, I was in touch with her the morning of my shipment and divers were bringing in sponge and red cluster dusters, so I added that to my order. I love everything and the deals. I ordered before when they were other companies and had mixed opinions...I decided to give them a try again and I am glad I did. 

I got :

• Checkbox 476913 label
    Feather Duster (Sabellastarte sp.)
    $17.99
    1 × Feather Duster (Sabellastarte sp.)
  • Checkbox 476927 label
    Red Gorgonian (Gorgonia sp.)
    $22.99
    1 × Red Gorgonian (Gorgonia sp.)
  •  
    Purple Sea Whip- NANO
    $1.99
    8 × Purple Sea Whip- NANO

This product cannot be reordered because it's out of stock.

•  
    Saltwater Porcelain Crab
    $24.99
    1 × Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai)
  • Checkbox 476911 label
    Halloween Hermit Crab
    $9.99
    2 × Halloween Hermit Crab (Ciliopagurus strigatus)
  • Checkbox 476902 label
    Saltwater Crab
    $12.99
    3 × Porcelain Crab (Porcellana sayana)- Blue

(2 refunded)

• Checkbox 476925 label
    Saltwater Red Porcelain Crab
    $12.99
    1 × Red Porcelain Crab (Porcellana sayana)
  • Checkbox 476908 label
    Scarlett Leg Hermit Crab
    $2.99
    2 × Scarlett Leg Hermit Crab
  • Checkbox 476901 label
    Flame Scallop
    $13.99
    1 × Flame Scallop (Lima scabra)

(1 refunded)

• Checkbox 476924 label
    Lettuce Nudibranch
    $11.99
    1 × Lettuce Nudibranch
  • Checkbox 476912 label
    Amphipods & Copepods - 250
    $9.99
    1 × Amphipods & Copepods - 250
  • Checkbox 476926 label
    Coral Banded Shrimp
    $15.99
    1 × Coral Banded Shrimp (Stenopus hispidus)
  • Checkbox 476923 label
    Green Pistol shrimp
    $9.99
    1 × Green Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus euphrosyne)
  • Checkbox 476915 label
    Marginella plumiosum
    $2.39
    1 × Glowing Marginella Snail
  • Checkbox 476907 label
    Mexican Turbo Snail
    $3.59
    4 × Mexican Turbo Snail
  • Checkbox 476914 label
    Spiny Star Astraea Snail
    $0.99
    1 × Spiny Star Astraea Snail - (Astrea phoebia) - LIMIT 10
  • Checkbox 476917 label
    Nassarius sp
    $7.99
    1 × Large Speckled Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp)
  •  
    BubbleTip Star Fish (Ophiomastix annulosa)
    $9.99
    1 × BubbleTip Star Fish (Ophiomastix annulosa)

• Checkbox 476906 label
    Turbo Snail - (Turbo fluctuosa)
    $1.49
    3 × Turbo Snail - (Turbo fluctuosa)
  • Checkbox 476920 label
    INV_CR_E-2
    $20.00
    1 × INV_CR_E-2
  • Checkbox 476903 label
    INV_CR_R-30
    $35.00
    1 × INV_CR_R-30
  • Checkbox 476904 label
    INV_SN_CER-30
    $17.00
    1 × INV_SN_CER-30
  • Checkbox 476905 label
    Blue Leg Hermit Crab - XLG
    $2.29
    4 × Blue Leg Hermit Crab - XLG
  • Checkbox 476900 label
    Yellow Coral Gorgonian
    $13.99
    1 × Yellow Gorgonian - sm (Gorgonia sp.)
  • Checkbox 476919 label
    Green Millepora  (Acropora millepora)
    $9.99
    1 × Green Millepora Coral (Acropora millepora)
  •  
    Duncanops aka Duncan - 2 Heads | Duncanopsammia axifuga
    $29.99
    1 × Duncanops aka Duncan - 2 Heads | Duncanopsammia axifuga

•  
    Rum Punch Acropora Frag - 1-2"
    $9.99
    1 × Rum Punch Acropora Frag - 1-2"

•  
    Purple Aussie Lord Acan - 1 head (Acanthastrea lordhowensis) - Aquacultured
    $9.99
    2 × Purple Aussie Lord Acan - 1 head (Acanthastrea lordhowensis) - Aquacultured

Subtotal:
$427.05
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I just received a decent size order and it was horrible.  Multiple DOA and no response from customer service.      Frags weren't even attached to the plugs and I've never seen so many pasasites after a dip in my life.      I will not be ordering from them again.   Worst experience yet ordering coral online.      

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered a decent sized order from them back in November and everything is still doing well.  The fire and ice zoas I had to glue back down because half the rock came off the plug, but the Pocillpora, Blasto, Acans, Mushroom and zoas are all fine now.

I recently ordered 3 zoa frags, 2 pink cocos and Candy Apples.  The candy apples are doing fine, but I have lost 2 polyps because yet again, they were not secured well enough to the plug.  I didn't want to mess with pulling the frag back out and all that so I've let it go.  The remaining polyps are open and look great.

Neither of the pink cocos even opened up.  After 3 days, both the zoas had appeared to be picked over/eaten, probably by my shrimp.  He hasn't messed with the other 4-5 zoas I have in there so I'm assuming they were DOA.

They did credit me for the zoas, and I also uploaded a video review for the candy apples, which you're supposed to get 5,000 points on your account.  Well 3 weeks and 3 emails later about the points and I've given up trying.  I won't spend any money there, but was going to at least cash in the points and try to get something for free.

It was a bit of a hassle to get them to credit the pink zoas, like they didn't believe me.  Way too much hassle over a $9 frag.

Also when they arrived, all three frags had a crap ton of detritus and junk in the bags.  So I had one good order and one not so good order.  But because of the hassle and the fact that they won't give me the points for the review I spent time on, I won't use them in the future.