Top Shelf Aquatics

Clams and Water Changes?

TheBig053

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else in the forum. I did a search and skimmed the first few pages here but didn't see anything. 

I added a 3.5" derasa to my tank yesterday and it seems to be doing well. Today is my regularly scheduled water change day. I generally vacuum my sand bed thoroughly with each water change and this tends to stir up a good bit if silt/detritus. 

Question: Will the stirred up particulate floating around in the water column be any danger to the clam? 

My assumption would be no, but since they are filter feeders I wanted to ask to be sure. I would imagine if the clam became irritated by too much "crap" floating in the water, then it would just close up until things settled. 

Thanks!

It'll be fine. My wrasse drops sand on him all the time and my royal grammas spit piles of sand on my clams. They might get irritated but spit out anythinf they don't like. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Don’t pour sand on it, but the fine particulates should not be an issue. When mixing my sand bed, I move my clam to the opposite side of the tank. 

Don't smother it in sand? What? Why not? Hah.

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

Don't smother it in sand? What? Why not? Hah.

Haha I meant like.... as long as you’re reasonable it’s fine. It can deal with anything waterborne, only heavy stuff like lots of large sand particles or small rocks would cause irritation.