inTank Media Baskets

what are these arms on my coral?

old_turkey

1 hour ago, old_turkey said:

as this is my first saltwater tank, any tips on the precision to get in between the heads of the palys (zoas?) to do this?  or do you mean the mouths?

I would take the frag out of the tank and put it in a small container with some tank water. The zoas should close up and the hydroids should retreat. Then you should be able to just use some super glue gel and cover the tube the hydroids call home. 

There are many types of hydroids. Some are do not spread fast and don't have a strong sting. However, it'd be a risk to keep them. Personally, it would not be one I'd take but everyone's different. 

Please be aware of working with zoas - they are very toxic and should be handled with caution.  I only ever habdle mine out of the tank with gloves and goggles.  I have friends who have been squirted by them and required hospital treatment xx

• Like 1

thank you for the warning.  I showed a picture to the owner of the local shop (and the one who has been encouraging me with this tank) and he thought these might be feather dusters.  I will try to get a better picture soon.

I would have said feather dusters from the pic hun but its been 3 years since I was last salty so am only just back to it and considering myself a "beginner" again until my brain kicks back into gear lol xxx

Its definitely worth googling zoanthid toxin or palytoxin to get a more in depth feel of the damage they can do, for such small beautiful creatures, they sure do pack a punch lol xx