Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can't ID this algae/worm?

preston904

So I have been searching the internet for about a month and discussing this with my local FB group. I have not been able to find out what this is.

Few details about it.

--It doesn't seem to be harming anything that i can tell.

--It moves around the tank and if I look VERY closely it looks like a microscopic worm maybe.

--I have a few pics of it including close ups and one of it on the glass. These were taken at different times after it had moved around.

--It has been up to about 20" long and sometimes it disappears completely. It does not extend off of the surface.

All parameters have been fine. Only thing that has happened was my ato dumped extra water dropping salinity to 1.024 from 1.025 a few weeks back but this has been around since before that occurred.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Anyone else ever seen something like this before?

I have dipped every coral that has come in the tank in RxPro and made sure everything was visibly clean.

1 hour ago, preston904 said:

Anyone else ever seen something like this before?

I have dipped every coral that has come in the tank in RxPro and made sure everything was visibly clean.

You can actually see it move from place to place? Or does it just show up in different places? Does it appear to have any “mouths” ?

56 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You can actually see it move from place to place? Or does it just show up in different places? Does it appear to have any “mouths” ?

I would have to sit there for hours to watch it move any real distance but i can see small pieces moving if I look closely. It never stays in the same spot for long, like every couple hours it has moved.

I do not see any visible mouths.

27 minutes ago, preston904 said:

I would have to sit there for hours to watch it move any real distance but i can see small pieces moving if I look closely. It never stays in the same spot for long, like every couple hours it has moved.

I do not see any visible mouths.

That’s so weird.  Hopefully someone else chimes in. It seems there have been a few similar threads here lately and nobody really has an answer yet. 

11 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

@kimberbee has a lighter colored one in one of her tanks? If not Kim then someone else because they were taking pictures of something similar.

I have an orangey spidery looking thing that people claim is a sponge, but it's  smaller than an inch. 

@preston904 is it the black spidery looking thing? I'm on mobile so pics are small.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:48 AM, kimberbee said:

I have an orangey spidery looking thing that people claim is a sponge, but it's  smaller than an inch. 

@preston904 is it the black spidery looking thing? I'm on mobile so pics are small.

Yeah it’s the spidery looking thing. It’s a very dark green.

I've had something that looked very much like the first two, I think it's a variant of cyanno. I noticed when the cyanno died it sorta puffed off and fell away after turning greyish. It also kind of looks like diatoms. I think the third is a green hair algae variant or general "green scum" that shows up on glass sometimes. 

Could be a type of cyano but I don't know. It moves around the tank like it's an animal fairly quickly.

Also the third picture is not hair algae, it is the same stuff as in the other pictures. It was just taken when it moved on the glass and was only on there for about an hour before it moved back down to the sand/rocks.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Lypto said:

can you scoop some up in a cup and see what happens?

i'll try next time it's in a good spot to grab some and post it up.

• Like 1