SaltCritters.com

Is this normal for a toadstool leather???

StephDaReefer

StephDaReefer

So my toadstool seems like it’s shrinking. The edges are folding down so it might just be giving me the illusion of it shrinking because it’s covering the stem. Is this normal for a toadstool? It’s been doing this Id day for the past week. The polyps are still extending so I know it’s not shedding. I tried changing the flow but didn’t make much of a difference. My parameters are all up to par salinity is always constant at 1.024, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph is a little low at 8, and notates are at 5 ppm. 

Heres some before and after shots. Around the time I fist got it to now. 

ADF8BB77-1D4E-4008-91C4-16EB7B001474.png

E67F1C9F-8DFA-493D-93D2-0CEF3487CA63.jpeg

CC28349F-DFB7-44B5-BD09-F7B0B50FDDEF.jpeg

37842C6A-494D-484D-8D30-050C5E5BFE41.jpeg

Yes.

Leathers close up, can be for weeks. Some wax over and then shed the wax.

It's a method of them shedding detritus and growth.

If it happens too frequently, it can be a sign it's unhappy with it's location ie: too much light, too little light, too much flow, or too little flow.

• Thanks 1
StephDaReefer
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

To me it looks like it wasn't getting enough light and was maybe stretching?... honestly looks happier to me.

Thank you. Didn’t want to make the mistake of moving it and pissing it off when it was just fine where it was. 

• 1 month later...

Just to tag on, is it normal for them to close up at night, and "shrink?" mine seems to stretch out and "Grow" to another 3rd of its size during the day

2 minutes ago, Kahmu84 said:

Just to tag on, is it normal for them to close up at night, and "shrink?" mine seems to stretch out and "Grow" to another 3rd of its size during the day

Completely normal . 

They also shrink up lile that right before they shed

1 minute ago, jbb_00 said:

Completely normal . 

They also shrink up lile that right before they shed

Thank you, its the first I've had, at the LFS it was tiny, and not overly open, brought it home, and within days it stretched out and seemed to have grown, and really started to put the feeders out, I was amazed at that.

4 minutes ago, Kahmu84 said:

Thank you, its the first I've had, at the LFS it was tiny, and not overly open, brought it home, and within days it stretched out and seemed to have grown, and really started to put the feeders out, I was amazed at that.

20180408_214310.thumb.jpg.f7b115e24e9709ea0b153c31f46a27f8.jpg

Lights have been off for about 2.5 hours. During the day its about the size of a dinner plate 

3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

20180408_214310.thumb.jpg.f7b115e24e9709ea0b153c31f46a27f8.jpg

Lights have been off for about 2.5 hours. During the day its about the size of a dinner plate 

That's awesome, and yeah I'm always finding new things out.

On 08/04/2018 at 10:30 PM, Kahmu84 said:

Very normal.