Cultivated Reef

New to forum need light help please

embrit345

Hi all :D  I am new to the forums, back to marine keeping after a very long break.

Have set up a 82l Aqua Medic nano tank and am just about to swap over the equipment that came with it for some better stuff.

I have an AI Prime HD arriving tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could help with suggested presets and timings etc so that I can essentially break the tank into having new lights without causing issues please.

Tank currently only has mainly softies in - kenya tree ( soon to be gone lol ), mushrooms ( rhodactus, discosoma and ricordea ), a few small zoa frags and a golf ball sized goni.

I don't want to shock anything or bleach anything out by going too strong too quick with the light so any advice would be greatly appreciated please xx

What is the current light they are under?

Normally it's suggested to start the Prime at 35-40% and increase weekly by 3-5%

Soft corals only need moderate lighting so going too high may cause them issues.

Everyone has different schedules and spectrum settings according to their livestock, life schedule, and personal viewing preferences.

There are preset options with the Prime where you can just choose 14k, 15k, 16k etc.

My schedule for the non hd prime for example is

11am-1pm ramp up

1-8pm

B, rb  85%

V, uv  80%

W 15%

R, g 10%

8-10pm ramp down

10pm - 2am lunar

Black out till 11am

I have a fully mixed reef

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

What is the current light they are under?

Normally it's suggested to start the Prime at 35-40% and increase weekly by 3-5%

Soft corals only need moderate lighting so going too high may cause them issues.

Everyone has different schedules and spectrum settings according to their livestock, life schedule, and personal viewing preferences.

There are preset options with the Prime where you can just choose 14k, 15k, 16k etc.

My schedule for the non hd prime for example is

11am-1pm ramp up

1-8pm

B, rb  85%

V, uv  80%

W 15%

R, g 10%

8-10pm ramp down

10pm - 2am lunar

Black out till 11am

I have a fully mixed reef

My reply didnt show up xx

I replied to ask...

Shoukd I start all the settings on 35% then adjust to suit or is there a preset for it xxx

Red high will burn your corals. Some only run them for a few hrs.

As for the other colours, it's up to you.

If you put white at 35% with all the others being 35%, you will have 50/50. 

You want a spectrum between 14k-20k, which one you visually enjoy is up to you.

Thanks Clown :D

I managed to get a good few preets so am just seeing which of those meets the visual I want while giving optimum health and growth etc to my corals.  On acclimatisation mode at the mo so nothing above 30% xx