MeghannWB

Free coral need help

Hey guys!! I had this little fella given to me because petco gives me their fallen soldiers sometimes so I can nurse them back to health (have done this several times in my fresh water tanks) however I do not know much about coral so if someone could help me to try and save this little booger I’d me more than appreciative! Also if someone could tell me just how far gone it is that would help a ton. 

9C9D74D3-2FBA-4884-AC03-3DDF9D7B46D7.jpeg

image.jpg

Need a better photo as this one really doesn't show the details that are needed.  What lights are you running? Tell about about ur tank. But judging by the photo you posted. He's dead Jim. 

It's hard to tell from the picture.  Maybe a Lobo?  I have had success bringing them back from terrible conditions with good water and meaty foods. 

What kind of lighting do you have? 

Honestly I’m not sure about my light. It’s one that came with the tank. I’ll see what I can do about figuring this out. I’m extremely new to the salt water part of this hobby. So I apologize for my lack of knowledge. :happy:

THis is the best photo I can take. My husband said it’s abtype of tube coral?

B766F8A6-457C-4602-BD33-4E0A0E3DBF42.jpeg

I’m not sure where to find the lighting info so herebis some pictures of the hood. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

upon further inspection this’s little guy is way different than I thought. My husband got it and put in in the tank while I was at work so I was clueless but my curiosity discovered it is branched. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’m doing some in-depth research on what it could be and I think it may have been a hammer coral that is either dead or dying.

I also vote candy cane coral I see flesh on it so it is possible to save it. You need a new light though as that looks like an incandescent light and won't help this guy.

What is your budget for a light?

Depends. How much would a good light for a ten gallon run that will not break the bank entirely. I.e. what do I need for the little coral?

Looked up “candy cane coral” and they look exactly like this little fella!! Now that I think it’s been id’d maybe I’ll have a chance to save it!

27 minutes ago, MeghannWB said:

Looked up “candy cane coral” and they look exactly like this little fella!! Now that I think it’s been id’d maybe I’ll have a chance to save it!

Looks like you can get the chinese LED "boxes" for $60 on ebay these days. They are dimmable which you would absolutely need to dim it down on a 10g. You also may need to remove the optics and hang it yourself from the ceiling or a bookshelf, ect.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/180W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Dimmable-Full-Spectrum-Marine-Reef-Coral-SPS-LPS/253210559224?hash=item3af48682f8:g:-BMAAOSw3ZtaMlEf

Obviously there are nicer things out there if you want to go up in price but I totally get it if you are on a budget. Stalking the forums to find something used on here is also a good way to get a deal.

Current Marine Orbits use to be popular and are around $130 but there is a used one up for $90. It's too long for your tank, upgrade time? :P

I would recommend you make a post in the lighting section with your tank size and budget so you can get some suggestions. I am not familiar what people are all using now-a-days!

Awesome!! Thanks for the tip. This is my first saltwater tank. I have 7 other fresh water tanks so I think my hubby would be slightly annoyed if I “upgraded “ again because that just basically means get ANOTHER tank in my house hold. I have a sight addiction. Buuuuuut...... my house is super zen from al the water noise!! :lol::lol::D

Lol! I get it... I have 4 tanks and my husband thinks it is 3 too many! He doesn't get why I can't be happy with just one.

• Like 1

Budget lighting options that work very well.

Abi par 38- 12w you'd need two but the screw into standard light fixtures, many use desk lamps.

Rapid led or coral compulsion par38 - 1- 24w

Google par38 reef and You'll see a ton of ways ppl have used these.

Aquamaxx nemolight- mines great, programmable too and really well priced

• Like 1

How long has your tank been set up?

Candy cane are easy L P S corals in most cases... when they are hungry there tentacles are quite  obvious and will accept food. With the light you have now I would  keep the coral high up in  the water column and try to feed small pieces of Mysis shrimp.if it is not too far gone. 

Thanks! I’ll look up that lighting and see what I can afford. And my tank has been set up for a little over two months. I just added live stock in the last two weeks. 

On 2/15/2018 at 11:02 PM, Tamberav said:

Lol! I get it... I have 4 tanks and my husband thinks it is 3 too many! He doesn't get why I can't be happy with just one.

1 is not enough unless you could go diving in it! Lol and even then I’d still wand a little one in my bed room! :lol:

Just a quick update on the mysterious coral. You guys were right. It’s a candy cane coral and it’s doing so much better. I got a new light for the tank and have been dosing it with 1 ml of liquid calcium, strontium + molybdenum,and iodine. The difference between when I got this a little over a week ago till now is outstanding!!sorry the pictures aren’t that great but you can definitely tell the difference. It still has a couple spots on it that look white ish but actually looks like a candy cane coral now!!! Thank you all for your help. You played a major part in saving this little guy!! Top two pictures are now, bottom two was when I got it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

67DDC79B-7B78-4793-9008-D4C9BD46C598.jpeg

81049AAF-ACCC-4B7C-9A58-E16B3708838E.jpeg

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions