Pod Your Reef

Chinese multi-chip LED light review.

tarunteam

I'm setting up a pico tank and need(ed) a light for it.  The big two factors that i like about the Chinese led chips i liked is the size and the cost. The chip itself consist of 3 parallel rows of 300ma 3v led's consisting of two rows of royal blue and one row of 15000k white. Overall the color of the light doesn't look bad at all, it's got a heavy hint of blue but it's not overpowering. I've linked what i used below.:

link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Royal-Blue-Cold-White-Hybrid-LED-Lamp-Light-for-Aquarium-Driver-Heat-Sink/391622264311?var=660728310908&hash=item5b2e8185f7:m:mn3Oo6C9ss_CgbqDKL9g2nQ

Total cost of Investment

LED + Driver + Heatsink: 10.88$

Lamp: 6$ (good will)

Glue of various types : 1$ish

So the positives are the light is small form factor and fits inside an 4 inch by 4 inch lamp hood that was initially used for Halogen bulbs, the light only has to be 3-4 inch off the top to get nice full spread over the entire jar, and the color isn't bad at all. The cons are this thing run HOT, the heatsink that came with gets really hot and definitely needs a fan with it if you're putting it any type of enclosure. The power supply also runs way to hot for comfort. After running the light continuously for 4-5 hours the powersupply is too hot to hold for more than a minute or two. I'm probably going to replace with meanwell LDD driver along with a spare 12V fan or maybe replace the entire thing with a par38 bulb. 

Definitely get a fan on that heatsink, and go with a better power supply. I've had these catch fire before, and life is too short to play with that sort of danger.

Meanwell LDD drivers are available with free shipping at LEDsupply, and come in versions with wires attached for easy hookup. Add a suitable power supply and it's a nice safe efficient upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

What does a "10 watt" LED chip end up with for power output?  About 5 watts?  

(Assuming proper setup for maximum equipment life.)

A lens would be nice to get that light down in a tank from higher up off the water. :)