Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquatop Recife Eco 24G AIO

six sons

Hi N-R    Jumping back in.. In a small way :)

Coming from having 120G, 90G & 50G mixed reefs quite a few years ago that nearly bankrupted me in Electric bills all running MH & VHO lighting. I took a break and only had 2 small freshwater tanks for the last few years, A planted 20H and an 8G Bio-cube Neocaridina shrimp tank.

I grabbed a damaged box deal ( My son runs a pet-shop) on this AIO that appears to be similar to other AIO's but is so new I cannot find any information on it.

The first upgrade I will employ is lighting. A lot has changed from a lighting standpoint and I have been reading quite a bit about LED's. I am looking for feedback on this Nano and some lighting options, Looking at AI Prime HD. Appears to be sufficient for SPS in the top half of the tank?

From their site:

Recife ECO Series

Introducing AQUATOP's Recife Eco 24 Gallon All-in-One reef aquarium systems. These entry-level aquarium kits include all the necessary accessories to provide an ideal habitat for marine fish and corals. The Recife Eco series utilizes a Back Filter Box system for a simple and effective way to hide the filtration components for optimal, unobstructed viewing of your aquatic environment. This system includes a reef ready LED light, a nano protein skimmer, a submersible pump and a matching cabinet stand. Available in Black, Dark Zebra Wood Brown, or White. Suggested additional equipment: 100-200 watt heater.

• 24 Gallon Tank with Glass Lid
  • Built-in Multi Stage Filtration
  • Custom Nano Protein Skimmer
  • Reef Ready Lighting - Daylight / Actinic
  • Replaceable Filter Sponge (Item #RC24ECO-RFS)
  • Media Tray with Ceramic Rings (x3)
  • 475GPH Submersible Return Pump
  • Stylish Matching Stand (Black /Dark Zebra Wood / White)

RC-24ECOBK_Web_large.jpg

Welcome back to the hobby.

That's a nice looking tank. Never heard of them myself but where I am it's pretty much fluval, biocube, IM, and red sea that's all for AIO.

The prime is more than capable of handling sps. They are very powerful lights.

I would use custom filter media rather than the sponge which will cause to nutrient issues and the ceramic rings aren't needed for reefs. Your liverock provides enough biological filtration.

Using filter floss which is replaced twice a week is better than a sponge.

• 1 month later...
seafishinmn

New to nanos and just purchased this setup...do you use the skimmer, and have you modified the three media boxes. Was thinking of Chaeto in place of the sponge, and adding live rock pieces to the ceramic  ring boxes. Looking for ideas. Thanks. 

Mine is set up since 2/19 and post cycle. So far I am running it in it's stock form minus the sponge in chamber 1. The skimmer has not started producing but I will keep it online for a while as I build the boi-load and see where it takes me.

I thought about using the first chamber for the refugium, and the LR rubble is a good idea for the media chambers. I added a NeoTherm heater, MP10QD, Hydor ATO, and my old Reefkeeper controller.

still deciding between AI Prime HD or a Kessil lighting upgrade. The stock light will only work with soft coral IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased this set up this afternoon. The dealer I bought it from suggested upgrading the light at some point and using the light provided to turn the media chambers into a refugium and then take the sponge out and put media in there in bags. Any thoughts on this?

So far..Chaeto in the first chamber replacing the sponge on my set up. Lit 24x7 by IM magnafuge light, then floss in the top basket of the media chamber changed very often as Clown79 suggests. LR rubble in the lower 2 baskets because I started with old dry rock from my 120G.  I don't think the opaque plastic on the media chamber baskets will allow sufficient light penetration to grow macro-algae within them.

You could make the first chamber for media(included media baskets will not fit in that area). and use the larger media chamber emptied of the baskets for a refugium.

I prefer how I have it set up because the macro gets nutrients before the water gets to the skimmer.

• 6 months later...

six sons; how is chaeto working for you in place of the sponge as you had posted earlier? Iplaced a tennis-ball size into the area after the skimmer where the 3 media boxes were, but it's not growing  very fast. having hair algae issues and think nutrients are going there before the chaeto

• 1 month later...

I have lighting on the first chamber 24x7 and chaeto grows like crazy for a few months and then slowed quite a bit. I was pulling a baseball sized chunk out every 2=3 weeks. I have not harvested since August.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a few modifications since I last posted. I was so frustrated with hair algae issues that I upgraded the stock skimmer to a Tunze 9001 nano size skimmer.  I moved the Tunze  into the third chamber area (as it wouldn't fit in the second section where the stock skimmer was placed). I put the Chaeto into the second area where the stock skimmer was and am using a light  on cheto   24 hours. I still have one box of ceramic rings placed beneath the Tunze skimmer in 3rd chamber.  I have left the one box there there as I dont have any more live rock to substitute it with.  Heater and  return pump are in last chamber as designed.  I am still using the foam block and rinsing it more frequently  but was hoping that the chaeto would grow enough to fill that chamber as well.  I have also upgraded my light to the AI prime HD.  Coral seems to like the light, but still working on the lighting schedule as I think adding the increased light may have contributed as well to the hair algae issue.  I have been trying to do water changes every 2 weeks. Maybe one day all algae will be gone.  wishing I had a controller to monitor all.  

20181202_122101.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have the 40g version. I cut one of the included media baskets to fit the 1st chamber and I use that for floss. It's easy to do but in any case I would get rid of that sponge. I tried the Tunze 9001 but it drove me crazy with constant water level adjustments. It also made chamber 3 useless for anything else including an upgraded light mount if so desired. I went with an Aquamaxx 1.5 which takes up little in sump space. The only media besides the floss in chamber 1 I use is a bag of chemipure hanging in the pump chamber.

• 9 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 9:39 AM, bioload said:

I have the 40g version. I cut one of the included media baskets to fit the 1st chamber and I use that for floss. It's easy to do but in any case I would get rid of that sponge. I tried the Tunze 9001 but it drove me crazy with constant water level adjustments. It also made chamber 3 useless for anything else including an upgraded light mount if so desired. I went with an Aquamaxx 1.5 which takes up little in sump space. The only media besides the floss in chamber 1 I use is a bag of chemipure hanging in the pump chamber.

Hi, 

I am looking to get an aquamaxx 1.5 HOB, what section/chamber did you fit it into, the one where the stock skimmer was?  Have you made any other modifications to it, I am returning to reefing after 20 years so a lot has changed any pointers are welcome.  IMO the stock pump isn't really pulling enough as well so was thinking of replacing it, seems like the stock setup isn't pulling in the surface water as fast as it should and the protein skimmer seems useless which leaves me with some film on the top.

Thanks for any help

Hello. i have had the 24 gallon setup for almost one year. i kept it stock except added a second stock light. i am thinking about removing the sponge filter because nitrate seems to be a problem.

i do a 3 gallon water change every week. i have 7 green mushrooms, 2 Duncan, star polyps, zoa's, and a toad stool? (not sure).  i also have two nano circulation pumps. i started with just two mushrooms the divide like crazy. i noticed a film on top of water no mater how much surface agitation i use.

IMG_20200215_113506165.jpg

IMG_20200215_113446561.jpg

IMG_20200215_113501983.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So how many of you guys that have these tanks are using the AI Prime HD?  I recently purchased one of these tanks and want to upgrade the stock light.  I tried the aqami light but the mounting hardware for the light wouldn't fit with the skimmer.  I have also considered the Red Sea 50.  I have been back and forth on what to put where media wise and chamber wise.  I will take out the sponge for sure and thinking about putting a filter sock in the first chamber then some chaeto under it.  Then in section 3 I was thinking about using the first top chamber box to run carbon/purigen/anything else, and then the next two run some rubble rock or maybe even one of those pod things to house pods.  I have a MP10 I'm going to be inserting for sure.  Other than that I think Im going to use the Tunze ATO.  

• Like 2
On 12/13/2018 at 8:21 PM, seafishinmn said:

I have made a few modifications since I last posted. I was so frustrated with hair algae issues that I upgraded the stock skimmer to a Tunze 9001 nano size skimmer.  I moved the Tunze  into the third chamber area (as it wouldn't fit in the second section where the stock skimmer was placed). I put the Chaeto into the second area where the stock skimmer was and am using a light  on cheto   24 hours. I still have one box of ceramic rings placed beneath the Tunze skimmer in 3rd chamber.  I have left the one box there there as I dont have any more live rock to substitute it with.  Heater and  return pump are in last chamber as designed.  I am still using the foam block and rinsing it more frequently  but was hoping that the chaeto would grow enough to fill that chamber as well.  I have also upgraded my light to the AI prime HD.  Coral seems to like the light, but still working on the lighting schedule as I think adding the increased light may have contributed as well to the hair algae issue.  I have been trying to do water changes every 2 weeks. Maybe one day all algae will be gone.  wishing I had a controller to monitor all.  

20181202_122101.jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 8:21 PM, seafishinmn said:

20181202_122101.jpg

Thkining to do the same on my aquatop 24 gallon. Adding cheato in first chamber and using small grow light. 

just wanted to see everyone who had success with it?

I got me a cheap led light on amazon I'm going to try.  In all it's a $33 for the Light, power supply, and dimmer for it.  You can probably skip the dimmer and have it on a full, but I wanted to be able to control it so why not.  As far as timers, I'm using the wemo wifi outlets.  I have them connected and added to my Homekit for Apple and setup automation to have them turn on and off.  You can also do the time automation in the wemo app itself and skip the homekit if you don't have that as an option. The wemo is $18.  So total with timer and light you are talking $51.  

Light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ1YKDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Supply

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q31UG1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dimmer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXKJT8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wemo WiFi Switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBI0A6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still haven't ordered my cheato yet.  Going to get it from Algae Barn when I do.  

You get what you pay for lighting wise. It’s no coincidence all the best looking tanks have $500 lights. I’ve wasted so much money on crap budget lighting I could have a 2 radion pros by now.

• 4 months later...
tdannhauser30

How do you all like your aquatops? My lfs has the tank and stand for 420 and I think I might pull the trigger. Just need some encouragement! Please respond

• 5 months later...

Hey guys!  Out here on the east coast, NJ.  I Lost everything in my 55g when super storm sandy hit and took this Pandemic for me to get back into the hobby.  I saw this 24g Aquatop at my LFS for 380!  I couldn't resist and here I am 9 months later!  Everything is growing! even the red slime/hair 😞  Reading through all these post to get ideas on what works best for you guys with the small filtration spaces these tanks have.  I'll be posting some pics shortly and the equipment I have on it!  

Here's everything I have in my 24g Recife Eco 

REEF TANK

CORAL:

Neon Green Pocillopora

Red Monti Cap

Fruit Loops Zoa

Fire and Ice Zoa

Eagle Eye Zoa

Blondies Zoa

Purple Green Favia (Dragons soul? Alien Eye? War Coral?)

Yellow Hammer Coral

Green Hammer Coral 2

Purple Hammer Coral

Bi-Color Hammer Coral

Peach Hammer Coral

Neon Green Trumpet Coral

Green/stripe Trumpet Coral

Sun Coral

GSP

Firework Clove Polyp

Green Ricordea Florida Mushroom

(Yellowish/Brown Carpet Coral?)

FISH:

Wyoming White Clownfish

Banggai Cardinalfish

Purple Firefish

Sixline Wrasse

Yellow Watchmen Goby (died caught in the wave pump)

CRUSTACEANS:

Cleaner Shrimp (dead)

Peppermint Shrimp

Emerald Crap (missing)

Red leg Hermit Crabs

random snails

EQUIPMENT:

AI PRIME 16 HD

AI PRIME NERO 3 (2)

TUNZE ATO (HATE IT)

REEF BREEDERS REFUGIUM LED

STOCK SKIMMER

STOCK RETURN PUMP

STOCK MEDIA BASKETS (WITH CHEMI PURE ELITE CARBON, PhosGuard AND CHAETO)

AQUATIC LIFE RO BUDDIE PLUS DI FOUR STAGE RODI

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG