ReefCleaners.org

Macro algae?

Brian whitman

Brian whitman

My tank is about three years old now, it is a red sea max 170, 34 gallons.  Coming along nicely I have a lot of Coraline growth and just a little bit of diatoms left. Unfortunately some pests are showing up, I just saw my first bubble algae yesterday and there are two aptasia,  I know this is to be expected in all tanks  and I know how to deal with them. However, I also noticed this little plant growing. I’ve never had macro algae grows in my tank before (had this tank setup previously for 7 years)  and wondering if it is “good“ algae. Should I leave it be or remove?   I think it would be cool to have some nice macro algae growing I think it makes the tank look more natural but just want to know what I have here. This is the biggest piece it is about a half an inch tall. I also have several other pieces starting to grow out of the sand bed.

8241D1DD-B26A-48E5-A1F6-516FBE4BA8C7.jpeg

It is not unusual for macro or for that matter Coral to volunteer.  I have had diver collected live rock for 8 years that started sprouting differrent things when moving rock around.  I have also had red grapes go sexual and sprout out two years later.

you have too much blue to help with ID.  Instead, you ID it from two links I will send.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookgreenalgae.htm

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Brian whitman

Ok thanks if I can’t figure out I will switch light to only white.  But either way I don’t mind some cool leafy macro algae. It is interesting that the bubble algae and the stuff showed up at exactly the same time