Coral Vue Hydros

ADA Bacter 100 as DSB additive

chathurai

This can be sound stupid , but i got this stupid idea of putting ADA bactor 100 additive underneath the tank bottom and build deepsand bed on top of it , ADA describe bactor 100 like this '

" Bacter 100 is a substrate additive, containing more than 100 kinds of substrate bacteria in a dormant state. By sprinkling on the base substrate, it can make an ideal substrate environment. By applying on top of blue green algae, it suppresses the growth of it."

will it help to grow helpful bacterias on sand bed , will these bacteria survive on saltwater ,,  give me your ideas about my stupid methode :D 

image.png

I went to their website.  Very general statement with no specific bacteria named.  It looks to me like they focus of hydroponics.  

Many strains of nitrification and denitrification bacteria can live in fresh or marine environments.  RidX as a septic tank starter culture would work to introduce those bacteria.  

Tell me why your focus is on DSB.  

@Subsea Im thinking of runing new tank  which is shallow cube 24*24*12  , with only biological filterations including DSB,Refugium ,Mangrove 

i have attached side view of my tank design, please have a look i hope you can understand what im going to do,i want to create very natural system where some fish can swim to 

seagrass area ,maybe will put clam there on shallow area, and my main focues is for DSB is to build  drop off reef tank on budget :) ..let me know what you think

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 6.15.17 PM.png

Yes, I saw the other thread.  The astetics are fine.    Your concept of easy to maintain seagrass is not correct.  Seagrasses require intense lighting and get the bulk of their food from roots in sandbed which takes years of detritus accumulation.  Unless you have advanced experience with seagrasses, I would stay away from them.  Use seaweed instead (macro algae),  Something like Caulerpa Prolifera, which looks like Oar Grass.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/

5 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Yes, I saw the other thread.  The astetics are fine.    Your concept of easy to maintain seagrass is not correct.  Seagrasses require intense lighting and get the bulk of their food from roots in sandbed which takes years of detritus accumulation.  Unless you have advanced experience with seagrasses, I would stay away from them.  Use seaweed instead (macro algae),  Something like Caulerpa Prolifera, which looks like Oar Grass.

https://www.marineplantbook.com/

yes ill go with Caulerpa,, is it possible to keep Montipora capricornis colony in this system without skimmer ? i have tow reactors with me so i can GAC on one reactor. 

M

32 minutes ago, chathurai said:

yes ill go with Caulerpa,, is it possible to keep Montipora capricornis colony in this system without skimmer ? i have tow reactors with me so i can GAC on one reactor. 

I know zero about your SPS.  There would be no need for a protein skimmer on this set up.  Aside from helping with gas exchange, I see no benefit from a protein skimmer in a reef tank.  Why remove nutrients with protein skimmer to have to add a coral smoothie to feed tank.

If you want a supercharged tank for SPS growth, then research “calcium reactor”.   I very much disagree with the use of organic carbon dosing in a reef tank.  Organic carbon feeds bacteria and depending on which strains, you will have a problem in your reef tank.  Carbon dioxide through a process called “carbon fixation” supplies ALL of the carbon required by algae to grow, coral zooanthellia is an algae.  So carbon fixation supplies a gas molecule to contribute to alkalinity which when coupled with photosynthesis produces glucose, a source of carbon.  So, for fast growing SPS, with a calcium reactor you supply C02 to grow coral zooanthelia and with the dissolving aroggonite you supply alkalinity for coral to grow limestone base.