Jump to content
Raindog3030

Jebao OW10 v SW2

Recommended Posts

Raindog3030

OK, I am researching affordable wave maker options for a 12g long and I had been looking at a pair of Jebao SW2s, but then I stumbled across the new OW10.

 

So, despite the obvious hardware upgrades, moving from a dipole drive to a quadpole and more electronics moved into the controller...have any of you had experience with both, and if so, would you say the OW10 is a reasonably better product versus the SW2?

 

If you have the OW10, how long have you been running it/them and what is your personal opinion on this creature?

Or do you want to finance a pair of MP10wQD's for me to shut up!

 

Links:

SW2:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS8782D/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3ONTTBZVZ0K7&colid=22KGV9V9ZHVQI&psc=0

 

OW10:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TPF5L2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1EVEHRDRMHL43&colid=22KGV9V9ZHVQI&psc=1

 

Share this post


Link to post
gsechen

i just bought the ow10 on amazon, i'll update you as I try it out

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Paleoreef103

Had an old RW-8 and have had the OW-10 for a month or so now. I really like the OW-10. It's definitely smaller and the mounting is definitely better than my previous RW-8. Considering the price difference is like 3 dollars go for the OW-10

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

I didn't like the sw2. Many have had issues with this model.

 

I had problems with both of mine, got replacements from the store.

 

Didn't care for the flow. The spread was narrow.

 

I now use the aqamai kps and love it. Love the Wi-Fi control and how you can completely customize the flow to your tanks needs.

Share this post


Link to post
MakoMan36

On those Jebao dc pump you want to buy the latest model.

with a little more you can get the Icecap 1K gyre instead of 2 jebao , it's a lot more reliable pump and you can set different mode in 24hr.

Share this post


Link to post
Raindog3030
46 minutes ago, MakoMan36 said:

On those Jebao dc pump you want to buy the latest model.

with a little more you can get the Icecap 1K gyre instead of 2 jebao , it's a lot more reliable pump and you can set different mode in 24hr.

Oh my, I didn't even consider that, it would just fit vertically in one rear corner, at 8.8" wide that leaves...1.1"

 

That may be pretty perfect, but do you think that leaves enough space for sand without bringing the pump too close to the surface?

Share this post


Link to post
MakoMan36

you can even take off one side of the gyre off  and have it half the length. imo upper side glass is the best to get flow on the whole tank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gsechen
On 2/14/2018 at 10:45 AM, Paleoreef103 said:

Had an old RW-8 and have had the OW-10 for a month or so now. I really like the OW-10. It's definitely smaller and the mounting is definitely better than my previous RW-8. Considering the price difference is like 3 dollars go for the OW-10

any issues with it? what setting do you run it on?

Share this post


Link to post
gsechen

put my ow-10 in today,  its small and the flow is really good.  I have it set on W1 and around 50% on the wave speed and flow speed is 30%.  I saw some detritus get kicked up off the rocks so it seems like doing good.  i replaced my koralia nano for this and so far so good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Paleoreef103
19 hours ago, gsechen said:

put my ow-10 in today,  its small and the flow is really good.  I have it set on W1 and around 50% on the wave speed and flow speed is 30%.  I saw some detritus get kicked up off the rocks so it seems like doing good.  i replaced my koralia nano for this and so far so good.  

I have mine running opposite a Tunze 6025 in a 40 breeder in Random Mode at 100%. That way the zone of chaotic flow gets moved across the tank. I will say the little OW-10, even at max flow, does not have the strength of my modified Tunze 6025.

Share this post


Link to post
CarolinaShoreReef
On 2/15/2018 at 1:30 AM, Clown79 said:

I didn't like the sw2. Many have had issues with this model.

 

I had problems with both of mine, got replacements from the store.

 

Didn't care for the flow. The spread was narrow.

 

I now use the aqamai kps and love it. Love the Wi-Fi control and how you can completely customize the flow to your tanks needs.

Was that on the fluval evo v that you didn't like the sw2 flow or spread? 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

No. I don't have an evo.

 

That was in my

 

15g

25g lagoon

10g fusion

5g spec

 

It had nothing to do with the tank. It was a faulty product. The price is great but the brand is known to be hit or miss.

The spread sucks on it, very narrow pattern.

 

 

There is no warranty with the company nor replacement parts.

 

I was happy in the beginning but after dealing with the issues and comparing it to another wave maker, I wouldn't recommend it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Lugmos12

The SW2 worked fine for the first 3-4 months and then its output began to decrease; no matter how much I cleaned it. Might upgrade to akamai kps.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
9 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

The SW2 worked fine for the first 3-4 months and then its output began to decrease; no matter how much I cleaned it. Might upgrade to akamai kps.

My exact experience.

Wasn't pleased. 

It was a waste of $160 for 2 of them. I could have gotten the aqamai right away.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
CarolinaShoreReef
40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

My exact experience.

Wasn't pleased. 

It was a waste of $160 for 2 of them. I could have gotten the aqamai right away.

 

 

160 for two? I ordered one for 40$ because I'm on a college budget. Would you have recommended something else at that price range? I can still cancel the order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Kyl

My SW-2s were flawed garbage from day 1, something i finally realized after months of fiddling (my build thread had multiple posts about this last year). I would avoid them specifically, especially if using an external controller. 0-10v on many does not function properly, and even the default controller seemed to just be riddled with problems. I used them on my new frag tank for about a week and they would not operate as they should in terms of the native controller. The SW-4's I replaced them with operated completely normal for whichever programming they were set to.

Good luck with finding the right fit!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
22 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

160 for two? I ordered one for 40$ because I'm on a college budget. Would you have recommended something else at that price range? I can still cancel the order. 

They were $79cdn dollars each with the controller.

 

For a wave maker, there's none that are $40 I've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Raindog3030

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Yup. US Amazon.

 

Why isn't this line sold anywhere besides Amazon and eBay?

 

 

 from my experience, exactly the reason why jebao costs so little is because of the quality of the product. 

 

The product is hit or miss and how long it will be a bit is another issue. 

 

I was warned by many and took a chance. After wasting my money, I simply won't touch their products again.

 

No warranty, no replacement parts, no customer service

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
CarolinaShoreReef
57 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Yup. US Amazon.

 

Why isn't this line sold anywhere besides Amazon and eBay?

 

 

 from my experience, exactly the reason why jebao costs so little is because of the quality of the product. 

 

The product is hit or miss and how long it will be a bit is another issue. 

 

I was warned by many and took a chance. After wasting my money, I simply won't touch their products again.

 

No warranty, no replacement parts, no customer service

I see. I cancled my order. Would you go with a koralia instead? Or is there something at around $60 that's a decent wave maker? 

Share this post


Link to post
Raindog3030

I currently have 2 Koralia Nano 240s in my 20 long and they do provide some rather efficient flow, I can not speak to the effect of the wave maker as I don't have one.

 

I have always enjoyed reliability and design from Koralia, love those pumps!  I just wanted more of a wave/gyre in this new build since I'm planing on running filterless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
CarolinaShoreReef
44 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

I currently have 2 Koralia Nano 240s in my 20 long and they do provide some rather efficient flow, I can not speak to the effect of the wave maker as I don't have one.

 

I have always enjoyed reliability and design from Koralia, love those pumps!  I just wanted more of a wave/gyre in this new build since I'm planing on running filterless.

Nice, would you recommend it in a 5g? I'm no longer worried about controllability as I am reliability. How big would you say they are, golf ball sized, tennis ball, etc. ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Raindog3030

 

4 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Nice, would you recommend it in a 5g? I'm no longer worried about controllability as I am reliability. How big would you say they are, golf ball sized, tennis ball, etc. ? 

Depends on what you're keeping in your 5g, but I don't see why not?

Maybe someone who has a similar size aquarium can better answer this.

Edit: When I was exploring the possibility of setting up a Fluval Evo V, I was planning on adding a Koralia Nano 240

 

Approximately 2 golf balls next to each other.  I had an old nano several years ago that ran for 4 years, and was still running when I gave it away with the setup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
CarolinaShoreReef

That's promising and they're cheap. I'm just keeping softies and low to moderate flow corals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
2 hours ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

I see. I cancled my order. Would you go with a koralia instead? Or is there something at around $60 that's a decent wave maker? 

Never had an issue with hydor powerheads. Aqamai is hydor.

 

Excellent customer service too. If something breaks they send you replacement parts.

 

My Pico powerhead had a shaft break after 2yrs. I emailed them and 2 weeks later I had a whole new impeller.

 

The Pico in a 5g would be good or the Koralia 240

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...