inTank Media Baskets

4th and Final Fish Suggestion

Looney4Nano

Hello all,

I'm in need for some wise advise.  Got a 32 biocube and currently have 3 fish in the tank.  I want to put in my 4th and final fish.  With compatibility  in mind, what would be a great addition to a tank that currently houses a bangahi cardinal, clown & watchman goby?  Thanks in advance for your help.

You forgot to mention if this is a reef tank, a fish only tank or a FOWLR tank.

If it's a reef tank, you're probably already pushing your limits as far as nitrate is concerned. Especially if you also have a decent CUC and feed your corals and fish twice a week. For example, I have a tomato clown and a pistol shrimp goby in my mixed reef and I think we're maxxed out on fish. 

If it's either of the other two (fish only or FOWLR), you should be able to get away with another fish. Your cardinal and goby aren't likely to bother anything. Clowns can sometimes be territorial (hey, they are related to damselfish) so depending on the clown... you may or may not have an issue.

I'd suggest something like a bicolor blenny or a firefish or something. Something that has some color and occupies the middle level of the tank.

5 hours ago, Looney4Nano said:

Hello all,

I'm in need for some wise advise.  Got a 32 biocube and currently have 3 fish in the tank.  I want to put in my 4th and final fish.  With compatibility  in mind, what would be a great addition to a tank that currently houses a bangahi cardinal, clown & watchman goby?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Suggest checking out live aquaria and see what fish catches your fancy. And then do research on that fish. It's all personal taste. You can add more than 1 fish too if they stay small. I  do not believe you are pushing your limits, with the availability of nutrient exports we have at our disposal nowadays. Add slowly and monitor your nutrients. 

I have 4 fish in a 29, and feed twice a day, and still have to dose nitrate/phos to keep it from bottoming out (not good for corals). 

• Like 1

Sorry forgot to mention it's an LPS tank.  I've been told by my respectful LFS that with my filtration setup (in tank setup rack with refug.) I can house up to 5 fish.  I too like to play it safe so will only go with 4 fish.  I'm concerned mainly about my goby.  I've heard bassests and wrasses will pick on him.  Is this true or false for those who have experience?  

Should be fine with 4 or 5 fish, I doubt anything will pick on the goby tbh. For fish you could add another cardinal or clown to have pairs. There's tons of other options as well, small basslets, peaceful pseudochromis, fang blennies, possum/pink streak wrasse, etc are all good.

5 hours ago, 1.0reef said:

Should be fine with 4 or 5 fish, I doubt anything will pick on the goby tbh. For fish you could add another cardinal or clown to have pairs. There's tons of other options as well, small basslets, peaceful pseudochromis, fang blennies, possum/pink streak wrasse, etc are all good.

you got me really interested in the possum and pink streak wrasse....could be the showpiece fish

I think 4 fish is fine for a 32g especially if it's a smaller breed.

The bicolor blenny is really cool. Great personality and character. Swims around alot, grazes on algae, and generally comical.

Royal gramma would add colour

20 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I think 4 fish is fine for a 32g especially if it's a smaller breed.

The bicolor blenny is really cool. Great personality and character. Swims around alot, grazes on algae, and generally comical.

Royal gramma would add colour

I noticed no one is selling the possum wrasse must  be a hard to come by fish....little scared of the royal gramma fighting with my YWG but the bicolor blenny looks cool

21 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Bicolor and starry blenny are great fish. 

starry looks bad ass but a little too big....don't want to go larger than a max length 4"

Your bioload really depends on your setup and what types of nutrient export you are running... the whole fish per gallon thing is really antiquated, IMO. 

*I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano (28 gal water volume in tank and sump) have 4 Medium fish, feed obscene amounts, and still have to dose aminos daily to keep my N and P detectable and my corals happy. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, William said:

Your bioload really depends on your setup and what types of nutrient export you are running... the whole fish per gallon thing is really antiquated, IMO. 

Thanks William I'll research your recommendations....i've been told though that a pygmy angel is no bueno in a bio cube 32

6 hours ago, Looney4Nano said:

Thanks William I'll research your recommendations....i've been told though that a pygmy angel is no bueno in a bio cube 32

Did they give you specifics as to why? Certain clownfish species (maroon) grow just as large, and produce just as much waste. An argument could be made that the square footage of the tank is to small compared to their natural habitat, but that argument holds for just about every fish in the hobby..... 

26 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Well the pygmy is rated for a 55g or larger and is cautioned in a reef- they are known to be coral pickers.

If you look at all of the various sites the specific tank size reccomendations are quite veriable. For the flame angel the larger size reccomendation is largely due to the potential for territorial behavior (especially if it is not the last addition). The Atlantic Pygmy angel or the coral beauty have less of an issue with this. Dwarf angels can nip at some corals, with some species being considered more “reef safe” than others... 

Orchid Dottyback gets my vote, be sure to get a captive bred one and make sure to NOT get a purple dottyback. Orchid = peaceful, Purple Dotty = mean mean mean!

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Orchid Dottyback gets my vote, be sure to get a captive bred one and make sure to NOT get a purple dottyback. Orchid = peaceful, Purple Dotty = mean mean mean!

hmmm ok

17 hours ago, ReefingRelapse said:

Im considering a 4th as well for my 32. Have 2 occelaris clowns

1 Bicolor blenny

Leaning towards a small sixline or yellow coris. Can't decide

Yellow Coris (Really a Halichoeres species) would get too large for a nano with a square footprint, and six lines can be aggressive. 

• Like 1