Cultivated Reef

Stocking advice for a 34g DT!

chunkylovah

I wanted some opinions and ideas on possible next fish for my barebottom 34 gallon dt tank + 9 gallon sump. I mainly want a variety of color, personalities, and variety of where they like to hang out. In terms of future coral, I am planning on softies and lps only.

I wonder if all these fish will be happy together?

If that is to many fish?

If I have to add them in some specific order?

if anyone has better suggestions for possible fish?

Currently I have:

2x - Clownfish

2x - turbo snail

2x - trochus snail

2x - tiny crabs

Thinking of adding:

1x - Yellow Clown Goby

1x - Orchid Dottyback

1x - Undecided, thinking about a tailspot blenny.

RIP Sebastian

The two clowns and the dottyback plus the two smaller fish should be okay. There might be some issues between the clown goby and the tailspot just because they are similar in size. In general, though, two clowns, the dottyback, plus two smaller fish should be fine. Definitely add the smaller fish first, then the dottyback, and the clowns last.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Midas blenny. Gorgeous fish with. Great personality.

I have been opting for the yellow clown goby instead because the way the midas blenny swims gives me the heebie jeebies. 

I have flash backs to when I was scuba diving for the first time in Oahu when I was like 10 years old and a giant eel slinked out from the depths of hell and started swimming at me. While the intentions of the eel are unknown to this day, I am still slightly creeped out by that hither and slither like motion... haha

Totally understand.

In a 34g the clown goby may "get lost".

Have you considered a yellow watchman or the orange spot watchman.

These are bigger gobies but out more often and don't swim like blenny fish.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Totally understand.

In a 34g the clown goby may "get lost".

Have you considered a yellow watchman or the orange spot watchman.

These are bigger gobies but out more often and don't swim like blenny fish.

I did, but I would feel bad putting a sand dweller in my bottomless tank. I've been thinking about a 6-line wrasse but there is so many horror stories on the forums about them. Then I thought about a flame hawkfish but then I wouldn't know what would clean my tank cause they eat every type of CUC there is!

I thought stocking was suppose to be the easy part! hahaha

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Watchman goby doesn't burrow and they aren't sand sifters so they should be fine with bare bottom

Oh, I thought they were! awesome maybe I will do that instead. Thanks for the idea!

I had one with crushed coral, it made it's home under a rock, it couldn't move the cc.

My orange spot watchman just made a dent in the sand at times but mostly his home was under a rock.

Non of my watchman ever truly burrowed but my sand is 1" not much to burrow.lol.

The info is hit and miss on them because many confuse them with the sand sifters.

The orchid would be a nice addition since it swims around alot and well the colour stands out.

Royal gramma is another idea