Pod Your Reef

SPS/ACRO Growout Contest, REBOOT!

Nola Bear

We have an official acro grow out contest sponsored by Cultivated Reef, who has agreed to Frag ~20 frags of upscales microclados for contestants interested in joining. So who wants in????

The details:

Frag=25

Shipping=40

Winner’s Pot=10

$75 total cost

if we can drum up 20 people, then we will have a $200 winner’s pot 

Christopher Marks, Cultivated Reef and I have agreed to judge. 

The contest will run for 6 months and only requires a pic of the Frag next to a ruler once per month. 

If you have any questions, you can post here or even PM me directly. 

———————————————————————

To all of those People Interested in the grow out contest, I have decided not to give up on this so easily.  fingerscrossedI reached out to Holly at Cultivated Reef and received an email an hour later with some significant interest. We are communicating about the details and she has already sent me a link with two different acros that would be possibilities for the contest, and I don’t think any of you will be disappointed. 

I just wanted to send  a heads up to those interested and see if there is any more interest out there. 

Let me know if you want to be added to the list  :Dor taken off of the list... :closedeyes:

@Nola Bear

@pal

@Polarcollision

@dmw913

@Okinawa_Reefer

@kdcarey

@Droy008

@This guy is extra salty

@LeoB

@DaveFason

@jbb_00

@Figster

@RotaryReef

@TheBig053

@Cannedfish

@micoastreefing

@spectra

@tk3445

@HarryPotter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I believe it is officially official. I have had the pleasure of going back and forth with Holly @Cultivated Reef and she is in:bowdown:  

she has enough of Upscales Microclades for up to thirty similar-sized frags :happydance:. I will send a PM to all on the list to see who is in and who is out. 

The buy in is $75, (40 for shipping, 25 for Frag and 10 for winners pot=CR GIFTCARD). So if we have 15 people, there will be a $150 giftcard, 25 people=$250 gift card, etc etc etc. 

I propose a 6 month contest duration. 

I also propose a 3 judge panel and Holly has agreed to be a judge. I’m wondering if @Christopher Marks Would be willing to judge as well. I’m willing to be a third judge, but I would also like to compete. If anyone would have an issue with me being a competitor and a judge, then I could serve in either capacity. And though I’d like to be in and get this frag and grow it out, I’d be willing to step to the sidelines and serve as a judge. 

3228DB27-E3F0-4156-A2DE-4D5C46A1167A.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

Once everyone is aware that the contest is running, each person will send Holly@Cultivated Reef a PM to get a PayPal invoice for the $75. 

It is inevitable that people will have different ship out dates, and so everyone’s start date will be different. I imagine that if everyone gets their coral within one month’s time, all should be good. People will have to submit a pic with ruler within three days of coral receipt and then each person will have to submit one ruler pic each month to stay eligible for 6 months straight.  

The judges will need to agree on a scale. In the one I’m competing in in r2r, they are considering four categories of growth: height, branching, encrusting, and coloration. 

Just now, Droy008 said:

That acro looks very nice, any idea on the starting frag sizes? Or is it determinate on how many participate?

Holly suggested that she would be cutting Y-shaped frags, but hasn’t said a size other than they will all be similarly sized frags. 

I’m not opposed to recruiting a few folks out there that may be missing this. In an ideal world we would have ~20 contestants. 

I don’t know if any of the following are interested, but you came to my mind :grouphug::

@teenyreef

@markalot

@RIP Sebastian

@ninjamyst

@tanacharison

@metrokat

If there is anyone on NR that would enjoy this, you are welcome to join. If we get too many peeps, we can have a standby list...

• Like 1

Can participants add more corals to their orders from the site, making efficient use of the shipping cost and their sexy SPS inventory? ?

edit: not me, I mean people here in general ?

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Thanks for thinking of me, Nola, I'm touched. However, $75 is a little too much for a student like me. I'll absolutely be following along, though!

Thanks again!

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Can we add a few more corals to our orders from their site, making efficient use of the shipping and their sexy SPS inventory? ?

I second this motion

plus holly @Cultivated Reef should announce when all the coral shipped and contest begin date so everyone has a chance to “acclimate” the coral under its new lighting.

• Like 2