inTank Media Baskets

A pair of Randalli Shrimp?

rO.oster

I like how Randalli shrimp are smaller than your average Tiger, keeping the sand dust storms and coral frag theft at a minimum.  

Do they pair, or, tolerate one another?  The tunnels they make seem medium small at times (limiting goby choices), I wonder if there were 2 in a BC29, would they make a bigger tunnel labyrinth?

• 2 weeks later...

The only tank I remember seeing a pair in, the person bought them already paired.  I don't think the hobby knows how to sex them, so you can't just go out and buy the opposite sex of the one you already have.   However I agree with jambon that if you add a second they are more likely to be friends or ignore each other than to hurt each other.  If you do try it, let us know how it goes!

1 hour ago, jambon said:

I think it is worth a try. The 29 has a good size footprint. You may end up with a pair or they will ignore each other. Or it will go south.

HEH those are three outcomes for sure!

46 minutes ago, sublunary said:

The only tank I remember seeing a pair in, the person bought them already paired.  I don't think the hobby knows how to sex them, so you can't just go out and buy the opposite sex of the one you already have.   However I agree with jambon that if you add a second they are more likely to be friends or ignore each other than to hurt each other.  If you do try it, let us know how it goes!

If I find them at a good price, I just may have to try it.

• Like 1

I believe they will increase the size of their tunnels to accommodate a goby roommate.  I had a Randall shrimp who lived alone for a year and then added a Randall goby.  Within a half hour, the shrimp was frantically rearranging his burrows to make room for his new friend.  They have been living together ever since.

• Like 1

Randall's pistols get along very well with others!  I have had up to 4 in a 12gal nanocube.  Originally had 1 with yasha goby and introduced what I thought was a female yasha and it stole the other yasha's pistol.  Shipping is expensive so I ordered 3 additional Randall's pistols and was going to split between a couple of tanks.  To make a long story shorter 2 pistols paired with one goby, and the other 2 switch off with the other goby.  They will sometimes pop off at each other, but not aggressive.  My original pistols started off less than .4inch long and now is over an inch in size and been in the tank for over 7yrs. 

• Like 2