Coral Vue Hydros

robertsdalton

robertsdalton

F9F44CCF-E071-40A6-BC88-2EAF541B1FF2.thumb.jpeg.9c876dabed0c725adc2ec3f2df36f056.jpeg

The journey begins! After wanting something different from my freshwater, I did lots of research on reef keeping and I’m so excited to get started. I’ve just set up my very first pico and the cycling has begun.

I wanted to challenge myself by using the small tank I already had. It’s a 5 gallon with internal filtration.

Here’s what’s in the tank so far:

About 7lbs live sand

5lbs live rock

Aqueon pro 50w heater

Hydor Koralia 240

I’ve taken out the filter cartridge for the cycling process and plan to add filter floss and Chemipure Elite when the time comes. I added a pinch of flakes to the water to kickstart the cycling. My test kit will come in the mail tomorrow. The 3.6w LED light that came on the tank probably won’t be enough to grow corals, so I’ll be buying one tomorrow.

Is it okay to put in a clean up crew now or should I wait until ammonia and nitrite is at 0? Also I plan to make this mostly coral but a pair of clowns is very tempting.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated! I’m new and still have lots to learn so I’d love to hear from you.

Welcome and good luck! I would wait to put the clean up crew in until after the tank cycles and you have zero ammonia. Ammonia will kill inverts as well as fish. 

• Like 1
robertsdalton
23 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Two clowns would not live a happy life in 5 gallons. Cute tank. Do you know what light you will use? Welcome to NR.

I’m planning on the Current USA Orbit Marine LED. Thoughts?

robertsdalton
22 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Welcome and good luck! I would wait to put the clean up crew in until after the tank cycles and you have zero ammonia. Ammonia will kill inverts as well as fish. 

Thank you! You should know your 10 gallon nano has been a big inspiration & big help to me. I’d love any tips you may have to keep my tank thriving.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, robertsdalton said:

I’m planning on the Current USA Orbit Marine LED. Thoughts?

That light was used in last years 100 days contest. You can check a couple of those threads for reference if you like. I have one on my 20L tank. For the money it is a pretty decent fixture. For softies and LPS it is fine. I do not have SPS but people in the context placed some near the top. This light will support coral and some will grow but it is slow growth. So depending on what you are going for it may not be what you want. It works for me. I keep a very simple tank and do not want to have to frag every thing all the time. For me it works great. It is very sleek. 

• Like 1

Definitely no clowns in 5g, but if you want a pair of fish, look into green banded gobies. They're super cute little guys! The Current Orbit should be fine if it fits the tank, otherwise look at something like a Kessil A80 or AI Prime (can get used for reasonable price).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
robertsdalton

It’s been a while since I’ve posted with an update. The tank is doing really well! It finished cycling a couple weeks ago but I’m now fighting some cyano.

910EF6AE-E486-41B0-B7B7-228E9E4EFD54.thumb.jpeg.c10bc3b99abb5ebf5851f914a54838d4.jpeg

Here’s what I’ve got in the tank right now:

2 nerites

2 ceriths

1 astrea

3 nassarius

2 red leg hermits

2 blue leg hermits

I also got a turbo snail & what I think is a Mexican turbo to help with the cyano. I’m thinking about buying some chaeto or Chemipure elite to help out. Maybe both? Could use some tips.

Just yesterday I picked up my little yellow clown goby to bring some new character & color to the tank!

AF806B8B-7F21-4CA2-BC25-2CBDA43BF517.thumb.jpeg.b1e85393fbaad2d8d075d4af41cb21a0.jpeg

I’m also starting to see some pods scurrying about the rock & sand, there are some tiny feather dusters showing up on the rock, and I’ve seen a bristleworm or two in the rock.

From this point I’m excited to start getting some coral in the tank and see it flourish over the coming months. I’ve had a tiny purple mushroom frag for a few weeks now that’s looking good but hasn’t really seemed to grow much since I got it.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Before you get buying more coral, I would get control of the nutrient issue. Vacuum the sand bed, water changes, less feeding, check water source, etc. 

• Like 2
On 2/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, robertsdalton said:

Thank you! You should know your 10 gallon nano has been a big inspiration & big help to me. I’d love any tips you may have to keep my tank thriving.

Thanks! I agree with @JBM, this is normal for a tank in the first few months. You don't have a heavy bioload so you just need to be patient while your live rock and sand build up a healthy bacteria population and all the little critters in the rocks multiply. 

Unfortunately you'll have to feed more than once or twice a week with a yellow clown goby. They are notorious for not eating and just wasting away. I hope you have better luck with your than I did with mine! 

• Like 1
Just now, HarryPotter said:

Before you get buying more coral, I would get control of the nutrient issue. Vacuum the sand bed, water changes, less feeding, check water source, etc. 

^this

Check phosphate levels in your new salt water to make sure it's good.

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Unfortunately you'll have to feed more than once or twice a week with a yellow clown goby. They are notorious for not eating and just wasting away. I hope you have better luck with your than I did with mine! 

Thats good to know. What's the recommendation of feeding?

robertsdalton

Great news! I put in some frozen brine to see if the new guy would eat yet, and sure enough he scarfed it down. Here’s a photo you can see of him eating.

E64D90DF-9DAE-48B0-9F89-788F9F44972A.thumb.jpeg.82e024ca8e280c2da038ed4a7870e99f.jpeg

Also I’ve decided to go with the name “Lellow”. I picked a yellow clown goby because my girlfriend loves the color yellow & I thought it’d make her happy. “Lellow” is how she used to pronounce the word “yellow” when she was young. I think it’s cute.

Anyways, just wanted to give a quick update saying that Lellow seems happy in his new home!

• Like 4
Theshivinator

@robertsdalton love your tank and set up ! Looks really great ! My clown goby went on a eating strike when I first got him but finally started eating , they are fun fish to watch perch on everything in the tank . 

• Like 2
robertsdalton

So I knowwwww I should have waited to put in coral until I got the nutrients more under control, but I just couldn’t help but pick up this one.

641A6141-6BBC-4C19-9260-7D04EE19AC8C.thumb.jpeg.95460bebb76624552d471a2cdf089760.jpeg

I’m not really even quite sure what it is. Anyways, it was a deal I couldn’t pass up & I thought just maybe Lellow might choose to host it someday. We’ll see.

I’ve also been debating whether or not I want to take the glass top off the tank. I know glass in notorious for trapping in heat & summer here in Texas is brutal, so taking it off would help. I love how sleek & minimal it looks without it, but I’m just worried my goby may one day feel a bit courageous & jump. I know I could do a screen or egg crate but those take away the aesthetic appeal & turn my rimless tank into a rimmed one. What do you think?

It's not gsp, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Try googling goniopora and see if that looks like it. Also possibly blasto merletti, but blastos don't usually have long stalks like that.

As far as the cover goes, I keep screen covers on all my tanks. On the 30g rimless I invested in an acrylic cover from @Artfully Acrylic. It's expensive but pretty. Then I just take the cover off when I want to work on the tank or just look at it. But so many fish will jump eventually, even ones that "don't jump". It's just not worth it to me, I've lost too many fish that way.

• Like 1
robertsdalton
29 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

It's not gsp, but it's hard to tell from the picture. Try googling goniopora and see if that looks like it. Also possibly blasto merletti, but blastos don't usually have long stalks like that.

Definitely looks like goniopora. Thanks!!

• Like 1
On 3/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, robertsdalton said:

Definitely looks like goniopora. Thanks!!

That would not be a good starter coral.  

The advice on feeding often is good.  If you want sustainable pod populations you must feed to establish this integral food web.  Yes, you will get some nuisance algae.  You are the Master Gardner. Get appropriate janitors.  In a pico, that means you.

Of course, you can contract that job to snails.