Coral Vue Hydros

Kalristo's Slice of Ocean + FROGFISH + IM FUSION 20

kalristo

Hey all,

I came back to salt water reefing after 4 years. New objective: AUTOMATION.

Trying to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible except for cleaning. That means once live rock is set, its set.

I really wanted to run an auto top off this time and to figure out a refill schedule so that less time is spent tinkering with the tank.

This time I also wanted to create the aquascape to resemble a beach with the transition from shallow to deep live sand.

For the rockscape I 'm going for the side of a cliff look and wanted to show the bare bones on the bottom of the rock so that whatever I put into the tank can swim between the open spaces.

Since this is a true journal I will also document how much $$ is spent. RIP my wallet.

[TANK]

+Innovative Marine 20 Gallon NUVO Fusion Tank

[LIGHTING]

+Aqua Illumination Prime HD LED Light Fixture

[SKIMMER]

+Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Ghost Protein Skimmer

[AUTO TOP OFF]

+Innovative Marine HyrdroFill Ti Auto Top Off ATO Controller

+Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti ATO Return Pump

+Innovative Marine HydroFill Ti Universal Auto Top Off ATO Return Bracket

+Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget HydroFill Ti Auto Top Off ATO Reservoir

[HEATING]

+Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Aquarium Heater w/ LED Display

[ROCK & SAND]

+CaribSea Arag-Alive 20-Pound Fiji Pink Sand

+15-20lbs of live rock

[LIVESTOCK]

2 - Green Clown Goby - 2 MISSING
1 - WARTY FROGFISH NAMED AMBUSH

1 - Tailspot blenny (future AMBUSH dinner *update* DEAD

1 - ORA Maxima Clam

[INVERTS]

2 - Nassarius snails 

2 - Margarita snails

2 - turbo snails - 1 MISSING

1 - Cleaner shrimp

1 - Emerald crab
[CORALS]

1 - Monti Cap - DEAD

3 - Headed Frog Spawn - 2 HEADS DEAD 

1 - Dendro 

2 - Sun Coral - 1 HEAD DEAD

5 - Acan various types

1 - Duncan - 2 NEW HEADS

1 - Rose Bubble Anenome DEAD

3 - ZOA various types

1 - Gold Cloves

1 - Pink Cloves

1 - Cloves

1 - Pom Pom Xenia

1 - Hitchhiker mushroom

ECBBDE1A-7944-4A46-938E-ABD3A800BF79.JPG

• Like 3
On 2/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @kalristo, I like your new project! Hands-off with automation is an admirable goal. What sort of coral and inverts are you planning to keep?

Thanks! I really like nassarius snails. I just introduced 2 nassarius snails, 2 margarita snails, and 2 turbo snails today!

On 2/9/2018 at 8:35 AM, Cintax said:

I just purchased the same tank so I'll be watching with interest. I like the idea of the beach transition as well. 

Awesome! Have you set up your tank yet?

• Like 1

I am replacing my 30 gallon so it's going to be a bit of a juggle. The IM20 is undergoing a leak test currently. I'm planning to start the cycle process tomorrow-ish. I'm using new sand and new rocks in this build. 

• Thanks 1
Christopher Marks
On 2/17/2018 at 11:10 PM, kalristo said:

So many micro bubbles. I wonder what it could be from? 

Check out the back chambers with a flashlight, you should be able to find the source. You may need to strategically place some filter floss somewhere to catch them, or adjust your water level.

• Thanks 1
On 2/19/2018 at 7:21 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Check out the back chambers with a flashlight, you should be able to find the source. You may need to strategically place some filter floss somewhere to catch them, or adjust your water level.

I think it was the ghost skimmer I have. The micro bubbles are all gone after turning it off..

17 hours ago, mystersyster said:

Barrier reef has some pretty good deals. I didn't get to take advantage of the sale as I'm still setting up my tank after a move :(

I didn’t even know that they were doing the sale, I just happened to be in the area! Just found out they do .50 per gallon for salt water on Wednesday so I’m going to make it a ritual to go Wednesday’s!

21 hours ago, k4ndyk1ng said:

Nice corals, I can't wait to see this tank grow 

Thanks! I’m trying my best not to ever put my hands into the tank aside from adding corals :)

• Like 1

Finally starting to see small micro bacteria forming on the glass. I think it’s from the pink Fiji sand. IIRC these are beneficial to the salt water tank right? 

Also just topped off 5 gallons into my auto top off reservoir. Now to see how long it takes for 5 gallons to evaporate and see what my rate of filling the 5 gallon reservoir is! 

Also so just got this turkey baster from Amazon to blow off the debris on my live rock and spot feed future Acans ;)

5C583A99-05BC-4BD8-A77A-4BC393D2B7AC.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My two clown gobs have no disappeared. I have since added a cleaner shrimp, rose bubble anenome, hammer coral, two headed dendros, and a bunch of acans! 

15AE4E5C-D7BA-4175-9D29-2B746245F6F0.jpeg

8220B20A-7A83-4192-9EB4-F5559754685E.jpeg

E4886F60-06AE-4B10-800B-664E226C61BA.jpeg

604D875F-22B9-403E-B775-F130824A4790.jpeg

F16A9BA0-9091-4565-9ECC-C13D48B46612.jpeg

FFB7DA2E-49C1-4116-A70D-D2E1AE7746C1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I like the idea of shallow to deeper sand and also the cliff rocks.  You are getting a nice variety of coral as well.  Did the green clown gobies ever show up?

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 4:06 AM, vlangel said:

I like the idea of shallow to deeper sand and also the cliff rocks.  You are getting a nice variety of coral as well.  Did the green clown gobies ever show up?

Unfortunately no. I have my suspicions that the cleaner shrimp killed them but hard to say since I haven’t seen their corpse. Hopefully they make a comeback one day. 

On 11/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, banasophia said:

Beautiful corals, I especially love your two varieties of cloves! 💙

Thanks! I have 3 varieties. I’ve been warned that they are territorial and grow fast which could compromise my acans breathing space but honestly I think I’m going to let nature take its course and let  everything grow as they please.

• Like 1