inTank Media Baskets

Kalristo's Slice of Ocean + FROGFISH + IM FUSION 20

kalristo

Very excited to have found your journal! I am new to reefing and am currently in my water cycle phase with that same tank you are running. I have been doing some research on the likely-hood of a single AI Prime working well on my reef. I am currently running the IM Skyye 18-watt lights that were supplied with my tank. It appears that over the last 8 or so months you have had good success with one on the IM Fusion 20. Would you recommend only one AI Prime be sufficient based on your results? 

3 hours ago, LJ-Precision said:

Very excited to have found your journal! I am new to reefing and am currently in my water cycle phase with that same tank you are running. I have been doing some research on the likely-hood of a single AI Prime working well on my reef. I am currently running the IM Skyye 18-watt lights that were supplied with my tank. It appears that over the last 8 or so months you have had good success with one on the IM Fusion 20. Would you recommend only one AI Prime be sufficient based on your results? 

Hey! I ended up cycling it for a a few months due to initial neglect. haha I had my auto top off running like a champ and the ai prime is set on a light schedule so I literally have a very low maintenance tank! I do a 2.5 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks and everything seems to be very consistent! I think having two ai primes would be awesome aesthetically and for greater coverage but my acans, zoas, and some of the hardy sps have been doing well. So in short, yes 1 will work but 2 would be epic! 

• Like 2

My frogfish ate my tail spot blenny....quite a gourmet $25 dinner for his homecoming into my tank lol

also just got a ORA Maxima clam I won through a raffle at my local salt water fish store! $70 value! 🤘 photos of the clam coming soon!

42018E43-040F-4256-99F5-C9FDF3B72386.jpeg

70A00DE0-0A77-447C-80E4-976C1B8D88C6.jpeg

AD813489-1AA1-4733-8C02-F34D447FED2C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Wow, AMBUSH is awesome!!! He’s so colorful. What do you have to feed him? 

He ate my tail spot blenny as a homecoming meal. A $25 food expense lol I’m not sure what I will feed him though 

7 hours ago, kalristo said:

He ate my tail spot blenny as a homecoming meal. A $25 food expense lol I’m not sure what I will feed him though 

Aww poor little TSB. 😫 

So I went and spent $130 and set up a Mollies + ghost shrimp fresh water tank on my desk. I wanted to see if I can breed mollies since they are livebearers and reproduce pretty quickly. This will be food for AMBUSH! Worst case scenario it’ll be storage for his food but would be cool to see them reproduce. 

First day in and I made sure to buy female mollies that looked pregnant. Turns out she was and I had one small fry in the tank first day! That made the compulsive purchase worth it. 

The only downside is that the tank is pretty basic. I kind of want to find a more aesthetically pleasing modern 10 gal tank for the desk. Any suggestions? 

Also I ended up buying

1 male molly

4 female mollies 

4 ghost shrimp 

+1 hitchhiker snail 

Hairgraas + plant bundle 

29E7AF35-35E8-48CD-AE99-7DA726942B86.jpeg

• Like 2

You can actually breed your mollies in brackish/saltwater, with brackish being best. SG: ~ 1.015. I’m not sure the ghost shrimp would tolerate if,  but the fish would prob survive being in saltwater better if they started off brackish. 

• Like 1

Lol I have 9 baby mollies within the first 24 hours. Damnit I think I’m going to need a third tank or to set up a quarantine area within the 10 gallon 

D63E3DC1-9FAC-45F7-B3F6-6E90133D522B.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 12/2/2018 at 2:30 PM, kalristo said:

So I went and spent $130 and set up a Mollies + ghost shrimp fresh water tank on my desk. I wanted to see if I can breed mollies since they are livebearers and reproduce pretty quickly. This will be food for AMBUSH! Worst case scenario it’ll be storage for his food but would be cool to see them reproduce. 

First day in and I made sure to buy female mollies that looked pregnant. Turns out she was and I had one small fry in the tank first day! That made the compulsive purchase worth it. 

The only downside is that the tank is pretty basic. I kind of want to find a more aesthetically pleasing modern 10 gal tank for the desk. Any suggestions? 

Also I ended up buying

1 male molly

4 female mollies 

4 ghost shrimp 

+1 hitchhiker snail 

Hairgraas + plant bundle 

29E7AF35-35E8-48CD-AE99-7DA726942B86.jpeg

I think the tank looks nice, maybe just add some decorations? 

• 4 weeks later...

Tank update! 1/6/19

tank was over run by green bubble algae

took each of the rocks out and removed almost all of it! And redid the rocks cape!

AF9D9E35-2613-43BF-BB29-76131EE775E0.jpeg

D40DD262-FEDF-4F0B-81CE-0B1E87954BC2.jpeg

EB677329-072A-435A-9309-73CBD7C16BF3.jpeg

824C65F9-10F3-4A92-A55A-305A18B35ECF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

Your frogfish looks so cool! Love the colors 🙂

The strings are a mucus web used by vermetid snails to trap food. If you trace the web back to the rocks you should see a thin, hard tube that you can pop off with needle nose pliers or something similar. Not harmful but some people don't like the webs and they reproduce quickly. Up to you whether you want them or not.

• 4 months later...