Luxembourg

Will loud noises bother fish?

Luxembourg

Hello, I've been a long time lurker and this is my first post.

Let me explain my situation, I am a drummer (and a guitarist). I play the drums almost everyday, and let me say "a drumkit is a loud instrument". Once in a blue moon reaching around +100dB (around that of a firecracker), with an average volume of around +80dB (a very loud car or saw). I also am interested in getting a nano-reef aquarium. I would keep the tank in the same room as the drumkit. So, I was wondering if the loudness of my drumming may impact my fish in a negative way?

Any info would be super helpful!

Thanks,

Luxembourg

(I should also mention that the loudest part of the drums are the cymbals, which have high range frequencies. And I mute my bass drum, so that in comparison, it is not that loud. So I really only am worrying about the mid-high range frequencies.)

ajmckay

Very interesting question...  I personally don't have any evidence that points one way or the other but what I can say is that the inhabitants of the tank can probably get accustomed to most noises.

My primary concern would be when introducing new inhabitants.  It's much less stressful to introduce a new fish to a tank that's quiet and with subdued lighting. For an example my tank is just off my kitchen and the kids regularly tear through there making loud noises and shaking the floor.  Initially the fish all freaked out and hid but now they don't really react in any way (actually they're more likely to hang around the surface in anticipation of food).

So maybe when introducing a new fish you could give it a few days alone to acclimate, then over the next few days gradually build up to full volume?  It seems like that way the fish would have a better chance at acclimating to the activity.  Also I don't think the sound in particular is bad, but the vibrations and jolting movements that might cause stress.

Armaghanyan
3 hours ago, Luxembourg said:

Hello, I've been a long time lurker and this is my first post.

Let me explain my situation, I am a drummer (and a guitarist). I play the drums almost everyday, and let me say "a drumkit is a loud instrument". Once in a blue moon reaching around +100dB (around that of a firecracker), with an average volume of around +80dB (a very loud car or saw). I also am interested in getting a nano-reef aquarium. I would keep the tank in the same room as the drumkit. So, I was wondering if the loudness of my drumming may impact my fish in a negative way?

Any info would be super helpful!

Thanks,

Luxembourg

(I should also mention that the loudest part of the drums are the cymbals, which have high range frequencies. And I mute my bass drum, so that in comparison, it is not that loud. So I really only am worrying about the mid-high range frequencies.)

The fish dont have ears so they can not hear sound, but they do feel vibrations.Your aquarium glass will deflect most of the vibrations, but they will still get some, but i dont think it will bother them much. I also play my guitar real loud all the time, and the fish just dont seem to care.

brandon429

Shearing heavy metal on vol 11 will not hurt anything in the tanks mine have been assaulted for twelve years straight :)

What is likely to be offended are all surrounding neighbors/police et al

I have not purchased a talking bird though, due to the metal. I want an African grey so badly but I think six feet under would keel et 

IMG_20180208_072244505_HDR.jpg

It's ok to rock out and still have a clownfish bed.

• Haha 1

Clown79

They won't hear the noise but they will feel the vibrations, just like when you walk by the tank.

I play piano in the same room as a tank and have not had any issues. 

Just ensure your drums aren't kept too close to the tank because of salt spray.

OPtasia

If you're really worried about it, make a sound baffle and enclose the aquarium or your drum set in it.

Luxembourg

Thanks for all the information! This has been really helpful.