Cultivated Reef

Tunze 9001 rocks!

Indiana Reefin

Indiana Reefin

I have heard a lot of gripe on how difficult a 9001 is to set up.

i have had nothing but success with mine! It pulls nasty funk all day long. Best nano skimmer I have ever had. 

This is 1.5 days worth of skimmate

5C6FD219-B2D7-455D-B313-A4B88803677D.jpeg

• Like 1

People tend to only bitch on the internet, especially about skimmers, and especially if they are NEW to skimmers.

Good to see a "here everything is working fine" thread.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, StevieT said:

People tend to only bitch on the internet, especially about skimmers, and especially if they are NEW to skimmers.

I'm currently running hob-xc on fusion 20. I ended up with a tunez 9001, is it worth swapping out the hob-xc with tunez 9001

6 minutes ago, tarunteam said:

I'm currently running hob-xc on fusion 20. I ended up with a tunez 9001, is it worth swapping out the hob-xc with tunez 9001

Tunze 9001 will install in the middle, pump chamber of this tank.  Use two return pumps going to each nozzle and mount in the middle.  Get rid of the Y and use straight 1/2" tubing.

Or use one pump going straight to one output nozzle.  But you're better off with two return pumps.  Tunze 1073.008 or Eheim 600 or there is a sicce pump that fist.

Personally I wouldn't want to look or hear a HOB, and the Tunze 9001 works well and is much more hidden.

1 hour ago, StevieT said:

Tunze 9001 will install in the middle, pump chamber of this tank.  Use two return pumps going to each nozzle and mount in the middle.  Get rid of the Y and use straight 1/2" tubing.

Or use one pump going straight to one output nozzle.  But you're better off with two return pumps.  Tunze 1073.008 or Eheim 600 or there is a sicce pump that fist.

Personally I wouldn't want to look or hear a HOB, and the Tunze 9001 works well and is much more hidden.

The noise and the sight isn't too bad as it's in the basement and the tank has a cover on top. But would i see any improvements besides that? Not saying that the noise and sight isn't an improvement.

Indiana Reefin
5 hours ago, StevieT said:

I know right. I get sick of those threads. This is definitely an improvement from the 9002 which I also had no issues with 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, tarunteam said:

The noise and the sight isn't too bad as it's in the basement and the tank has a cover on top. But would i see any improvements besides that? Not saying that the noise and sight isn't an improvement.

I've never ran that skimmer or know what kind of skimmate you are getting so I can't say.

48 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

I know right. I get sick of those threads. This is definitely an improvement from the 9002 which I also had no issues with 

It's night and day difference between the 9002, Tunze put in a lot of work on this unit and included all of the modern skimmer technology. 

The 9002 will always be by favorite skimmer with a honkin' huge cup that started inTank ;)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Indiana Reefin

Have you tried taking the impeller and pinwheel out to make sure there is no debris or the foot is set in the proper place. 

I would also also recommend giving it a vinager bath 

21 minutes ago, Indiana Reefin said:

This.. Mine was noisy. I tried to pull the impeller out and nearly broke it getting it out. Should have just soaked it first. 

I’m using the 9001 in my IM 30L. I removed a baffle plate and changed the magnet to side, so I would have to place it in the return chamber. Working good so far, thanks only been up about a week.

Indiana Reefin

I know this skimmer is rated for 37 gallons and I feel that it is accurately rated. It can definitely handle my 29 without an issue. I am dosing vinager as well and my nitrates are dropping below 10. My nitrates were around 25 before I started dosing vinager. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I get it around 5 or less.  This skimmer has done an excellent job and has pulled some really dark skimmate. I have it an inch above the water line and I have had excellent results. IMHO best nano skimmer on the market. The aquamaxx is also a good skimmer but it is HOB. 

If the 9001 is mounted in the middle chamber of the Innovative Marine (25 Lagoon in my case) is there still enough room for a Kessil gooseneck mount? I am setting everything up and it looks like there is maybe 3/8" of a inch from the skimmer cup to the back wall of the tank. I have not purchased a light yet and worried it will not fit. 

19 hours ago, Adrock15659 said:

If the 9001 is mounted in the middle chamber of the Innovative Marine (25 Lagoon in my case) is there still enough room for a Kessil gooseneck mount? I am setting everything up and it looks like there is maybe 3/8" of a inch from the skimmer cup to the back wall of the tank. I have not purchased a light yet and worried it will not fit. 

It's going to be tight but it should fit by my dry test here.

Otherwise you can build something for the gooseneck to grab onto the back of the tank.  Or mount the 9001 to a side of that chamber.  

On 2/7/2018 at 6:46 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

Have you tried taking the impeller and pinwheel out to make sure there is no debris or the foot is set in the proper place. 

On 2/7/2018 at 7:08 PM, jamescstein said:

This.. Mine was noisy. I tried to pull the impeller out and nearly broke it getting it out. Should have just soaked it first. 

I did give it a vinegar bath before hand. The real issue is I lost the internal grommet and used an tiny silicon ear bud at a replacement so the impeller bounces around a bit in the inside and is slowly destroying the motor. The hob-xc pump doesn't have the grommet available individually and an replacement impeller with the grommet would cost 25-35 bucks shipped. Not about to buy a replacement impeller for a depreciated skimmer that was only a 100 bucks at  time of purchase.   Either way, the skimmer wouldn't come back online after shutting down without a bit of jiggling so I just replaced it with the tunez. 

On 2/7/2018 at 8:22 PM, Indiana Reefin said:

I know this skimmer is rated for 37 gallons and I feel that it is accurately rated. It can definitely handle my 29 without an issue. I am dosing vinager as well and my nitrates are dropping below 10. My nitrates were around 25 before I started dosing vinager. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks I get it around 5 or less.  This skimmer has done an excellent job and has pulled some really dark skimmate. I have it an inch above the water line and I have had excellent results. IMHO best nano skimmer on the market. The aquamaxx is also a good skimmer but it is HOB. 

They make an in-sump aquamaxx one now but the footprint is a fair amount bigger than the Tunze.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:42 AM, StevieT said:

It's going to be tight but it should fit by my dry test here.

Otherwise you can build something for the gooseneck to grab onto the back of the tank.  Or mount the 9001 to a side of that chamber.  

Gotcha, thats what it kinda looked like to me . I figure if I cant make it work behind the skimmer I can always shift it over to the side which wouldnt be my first choice but not a deal breaker.

For the size and price the 9001 is awesome! Gets a bit noisy if not maintained, in my experience its been salt creep in the airline makes it a bit gurgly. Keep the airline clean and run it in vinegar every 6 months or so thing is pretty much silent.   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
rock_lobster
On 2/16/2018 at 9:19 PM, Sancho said:

For the size and price the 9001 is awesome! Gets a bit noisy if not maintained, in my experience its been salt creep in the airline makes it a bit gurgly. Keep the airline clean and run it in vinegar every 6 months or so thing is pretty much silent.   

Mine are completely dead silent. Are you using the carbon chamber? it mutes any noise to zero.

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, StevieT said:

Hello, i have Tunze 9001 and Fusion nano 20, i see you are recommend fitting in return chamber, but isnt problem water level? Its most volatile place for water level and skimmer need stable water level.. thanks for answer.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, jackson8800 said:

Hello, i have Tunze 9001 and Fusion nano 20, i see you are recommend fitting in return chamber, but isnt problem water level? Its most volatile place for water level and skimmer need stable water level.. thanks for answer.

Make sure to top off the aquarium in this or the accessory chambers.  You need to do this regardless to maintain stable salinity.  An Auto Top Off is a great investment.