Coral Vue Hydros

My first jar

SaltyTreats

Hello everyone, greetings from Sweden.

A few years ago i saw some pico jars on Youtube, and thought it was really cool and wanted to make one,  well i did not manifest that thought into reality then.

This week i said life is to short and started to get busy. I never owned a salt water aquarium, and i came from zero knowledge, there is so much to learn.

My reasoning for starting a jar instead of a aquarium is that the cost is way less to get started, and way less to maintain, and if successful i will be able to frag the corals for a bigger aquarium. 

The jar i picked could anyone never guess, it is so genius nobody ever thought of it.... A 1 galon cookie jar XD lol. Well seriously that was, what was readily available, in the future i do plan to get a bigger vase or jar with more unique design.

Here is what i have ordered

Heater, 10w: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010T1R8PE/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Light, 12w reef led: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F8B4H2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Air Pump, Ehheim 100: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-Adjustable-100-Air-Pump/dp/B008N9OHK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1517999630&sr=1-1&keywords=eheim+100

Water conditioner, Aquasafe: https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-AquaSafe-Fish-Water-Conditioner/dp/B00068JW0A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517999825&sr=8-4&keywords=aquasafe

Salt, nano reef salt: https://www.zoo.se/aqua-medic-reef-salt-nano-1kg-30l-saltvatten.html

And lastly some coral sand, and 1 kg live rock.

My light and heater will arrive in a week or two, without heat or light the temperature is solid 72.5f. I have not started any cycle, maybe the liverock is enough to get it started? If that is not the case, for that 1 galon what would be the best way to cycle it, i suspect shrimp method could toxify that small amount of water. Lastly i have not bought any testing kit, is that necessary for this small body of water if i change water weekly? 

To sum up My questions are:

* The materials i have listen are they suitable for this 1 galon tank.

* Should i start a cycle myself, if so how? Or let the live rock start it over time.

* Is it worth buying tests kits for this small body of water when i plan to change water weekly?

* Is there anything i missed? 

Of course since room is limited not much animals can live there, but i would like something that takes care of algae. Hermit crab would be cool, but i suspect that will have to wait to a much bigger thank. Primary this was ment as a reef tank, small critters is a plus if possible, but not essential. If i understand it correctly, this small body of water would do best with minimum critters cause the water would be more stable?

Well thank you all for inspiring me :)

Ps: I have concerns about the lid, i heard its best to have no lid, so the water can breathe, but i don't want the salinity rise cause of evaporation, would be best if it don't need to be top of every day. And will 12w led light still shine through enough for those cookie jar lids? Right now i cut an opening on the side like one inch exposed to air. is that enough airflow?

20180207_111107.jpg

20180207_120909.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR have fun!

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes i suspect it will be allot of fun, and allot to learn, and looking forward to interact more on the forum :) 

Looks like your off to a dynamite start. 

Yes, you should test, at least during your cycle. After that, 70-100% water changes will solve your problems. 

I also have a pico, albeit much bigger at 5.5 gallons. I have a lid. I've always used lids. It's personal preference.  A simple sheet of acrylic works as a lid. 

If you brought home the live rock & filled it that day. You might have already cycled. Best to give it another week of daily testing. 

It looks like your off to a good start. All your equipment looks good, and it sounds like this will be a fun experience for you.

I wouldn't worry about putting a hermit crab in your jar, if you keep up on weekly or even biweekly water changes you'll be fine.

Also it looks like your running an airstone, that will provide the tank with plenty of oxygen and will help keep the PH balanced.

I have a lid on my 2 Gallon Jar, and no issues after 3 months. :)

You should take a look at the creative container contest going on right now here at nano-reef.

A lot of people are using a small jar just like yours. Even more are challenging what can be done in such a small space.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Well looks like i should invest in a test kit after all. It is awesome to hear i am on the right track.

Way down the line when i got much, much more experience. I think it would so so cool to create a femto reef tank, like a really small short vial or flask, maybe 10 ml. 

The lid would have led built in, and it would stand on a base that both has built in heating, and an air pump, it would go from the bottom so you would not see it. 

Why do i want to do such a thing, well i think it would be fun to see how small you can make it. Maybe one day we end up with the size of a drop of water lol

But that is just a silly fantasy for now, my focus for the next few years is establishing a good reef jar, and who knows maybe an actual tank down the line.

• Like 2

Well the bubbles where bothering me, to big, and i did not have the filter that came with the air stone left. So i improvised and took the micro filter i had unused ment for vacuum cleaners.  Well i quickly noticed the mistake, threads of cotton was falling of the filter, and i removed it, i see 1 or 2 threads left in the water.

Well my thoughts is that they will get removed next time i am suppose to drain the water. Or maybe its needed to remove everything and put in new sand and rinse of the rocks in saltwater.  It's like 1-3 small 1 cm threads, since there are no animals in the tank, maybe best to led the tank cycle, and hopefully the treads dissapear next drain.

They wont hurt anything, but if they bother you that much. A 100% w/c, while not ideal. Will fix your current problem. I highly suggest testing your parameters first, prior to doing a w/c if the tank has been running a week or more.

• Like 2

JBM Thank for the advice, no they don't bother me i was afraid they could be harmful for the system in the future. 

So then i will let it cycle undisturbed and let the bacteria grow, i have disturbed it enough messing with the air stone. 

It's good to know i learned something, yet did not make a fatal mistake. 

Maybe that's the best advice i can take, hands of and let it grow lol

Yes i been looking at test kits, i prob just buy a cheap 5 in 1 strips kit. I'm not sure i need to spend 100 bucks for a super accurate one, but i am open to it if that will be needed. 

8 minutes ago, JBM said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo (x2)

stay away from salifert for right now, you don't need it. 

Get a API combo kit $30-40 at a lfs 

https://www.zoo.se/produkter/akvaristik/vattenpreparat/vattentester-matinstrument-akvarium.html

These are what is available from my local store, i think google translate will work.

Anyone of these you think i should go for, else i can always order API online but then i wil haveto wait for shipping

2 hours ago, SaltyTreats said:

https://www.zoo.se/produkter/akvaristik/vattenpreparat/vattentester-matinstrument-akvarium.html

These are what is available from my local store, i think google translate will work.

Anyone of these you think i should go for, else i can always order API online but then i wil haveto wait for shipping

The Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit would also be a good option and is a bit more affordable.  Red Sea makes good quality test kits that are commonly used in the hobby.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Felicia said:

The Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit would also be a good option and is a bit more affordable.  Red Sea makes good quality test kits that are commonly used in the hobby.

Awesome thank you, affordable is always better :)

Well i did wonder if there was any life inside the rock, and yay i found a super tiny worm creature, it swayed back and forward like its tail is trapped in the stone. And then open and closes its mouth. It's good to see something is alive, will be cool to see if anything else emerges. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I have a 2 gallon cookie jar. I’ve never been a fan of lids but in a small jar without an ato you really need a lid to keep salinity in check. I used a clear plastic drip tray for plants as a lid because I hated the way it distorted the light. 

• Like 1

Got my light and i was so surprised how big the led bulb was, i was thinking of having a 12 hour on and off cycle, i don't have any special mode on the led. Would anyone advice something else?

Right now there are small life that could either be worms or corals i have no idea, but its like worms that is fused to the rock and moves in place. Should i have the led going now during the cycle, or wait till its time to add snail? 

20180210_181724.jpg

20180210_181729.jpg

• Like 1

12 hr light schedule will just beckon algae to grow. 

4-6 hours is more then enough for right now. 

Eventually, when you have corals you can add/ subtract time & height. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, JBM said:

12 hr light schedule will just beckon algae to grow...

Thank you :) then for now i limit it to those hours, when i add corals will it be apparent if the height is wrong, like do i see it on the corals if they are exposed to too much or to little light. But of course it is a few weeks till i have to worry about that.