SaltCritters.com

My dream tank is a nano tank with anemone only

CinnamonTorch

CinnamonTorch

Hey everyone, so i’m currently rocking a 10 gallon nuvo which has been great so far.. but i’ve really wanted to make my dream come true and get a smaller 5 or 7 gallon tank which would only have anemones and one or two clown fish.. maybe i’ll do one clown and one yellow goby. Anyways, i wanted to know whats the better size tank to go with? 5 gallon or 7 gallon. I absolutely want it to be one of these sizes because it fits my night stand perfectly. Thanks again for your inputs

Five gallons is really too small for a clownfish in the long run.  Seven gallons is pushing it.  They get big enough and are messy enough that it's really better to have them in a larger tank.

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

There are other symbiotes that will work with an anemone in a small tank - sexy shrimp, some crabs, a few other small shrimp species. Make sure you get an anemone and symbiote that work well together.

CinnamonTorch

I’ve kept a clownfish in a 5 gallon for 4+ years, not a problem.. i’m pretty fixed on the idea of a clown and anemone. Should i be better off with a 7 gallon?

I think I'd go with the seven just for extra volume. What are your night stands dimensions? Would another IM10 fit? 

I'm setting up an IM20 now to move all my anemones and my clowns into. It's going to be pretty much anemones with a few small corals brought over from the 30 gallon that I'm shutting down. 

• 1 month later...
A_Sea_Shepherd

I personally have a mated pair of Maroon Clowns and I would say the larger size tank is always better for the fishes stress level. The good thing is an anemone (in my opinion) shrinks the space the clown/clowns need since they will primarily stay in it or within fins reach of it & it reduces stress. If its a cube style tank sometimes the extra size is wasted on vertical space, more horizontal space is better. On the positive side you wont have to wait long for the clown to begin hosting in the nem since he cant miss it.