Cultivated Reef

Live rock thingamajig

MeghannWB

Can someone please help me identify these things? I’m new to the salt water aquarium and am just starting this ten gallon nano. I have some experience with freshwater but I am aware that they are very different. This is some live rock I got and it has some fun things on it that I can’t seem to id on Google? Oh, and don’t mind the peppermint shrimp that photo bombed my picture!:D

EC489624-0F4B-41BA-B096-F043266C801D.jpeg

AF7AE7CD-552F-41C0-BAF8-E63E55187BC4.jpeg

116AE420-3386-4B6D-A8A7-DE50FBF12DA5.jpeg

7F2F776E-141A-4FC9-B81F-64668F9C566F.jpeg

Is it in that last pic I can't tell with that one. A barnacle will open and close and has these feathery things it feeds with does it move at all? If it's a sponge you should be able to squish it a bit with your finger.  Most of the time it has some give not like a skeleton. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The squishy thing helped a ton!! None of them a squishy at all so you were right Lazyfish, they are all skeletons unfortunately. The do add character to the rock. I can’t imag how beautiful the would have been alive if they are this pretty dead!! The barnical one doesn’t move from what I have seen but it’s most likely another dead coral seeing as that is what the other two are. Thank you both for your help. I have never been part of a forum that is so quick to assist! I appreciate that 

10 hours ago, MeghannWB said:

The squishy thing helped a ton!! None of them a squishy at all so you were right Lazyfish, they are all skeletons unfortunately. The do add character to the rock. I can’t imag how beautiful the would have been alive if they are this pretty dead!! The barnical one doesn’t move from what I have seen but it’s most likely another dead coral seeing as that is what the other two are. Thank you both for your help. I have never been part of a forum that is so quick to assist! I appreciate that 

Meg,

Welcome to reefing.  Most of us are addicted.  Sometimes you will hear opposite viewpoints.  I have been a reefer for 45 years and I often press on things to see if the are  hard or squishy.  

I suggest you start a tank journal to keep all notes and the progression of your tank as it matures.  There is a forum specifically for this.  You can expect a progression of differrent algae as your tank cycles.  It helps to know this in advance so as not to try and fight the natural  cycle as tank matures.

have fun.