Pod Your Reef

Rust proofing DS18B20

JBM

So, im smack dab in the middle of a reefpi build. I have a "waterproof" DS18B20.... reports and forums say that it isnt "rust proof". id much rather not have to replace it every few months.

krylon paint?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:lol:

Meh saltwater takes its toll on anything.  I have an inkbird temp probe that's been great.  They're typically plastic or stainless - are people reporting rust issues with these?

Paint will likely peel off at some point - I would use silicone or hot melt glue.  I've used small amounts of hot melt glue just fine in my tanks (3g & up).

48 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Dip it in some epoxy... No water will get in there!

You know... I'm still stuck on the rust thing - for some reason I can't see these things rusting in any substantial way...  Inadvertently I steered my prior suggestions more toward the seams/connection points so yeah that probably isn't helpful.  Silicone and hot glue would possibly insulate the probe. 

Epoxy could work I suppose if you can get a thin enough coating.  If all you want to do is coat the metal part then I think a coat of spray paint would be easiest and it would be super easy to re-apply if needed.  Also I think you could use nail polish maybe?  Or just get a new probe every few years.  Probably a good thing anyways.

Good luck!

11 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Or just get a new probe every few years.  Probably a good thing anyways.

Good luck!

not much on the subject out in the forums. But the stainless steel waterproof versions are rusting through in a couple of months.  apparently it's cheap stainless

7 minutes ago, JBM said:

not much on the subject out in the forums. But the stainless steel waterproof versions are rusting through in a couple of months.  apparently it's cheap stainless

I don’t see why epoxy wouldn’t work! You could also dip it in clear nail polish. 

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Slather it in aquarium silicone.

I went with clear nail polish. 

Silicone would have have been to thick and skewed the readings. 

Here is a snap of my readings

IMG_1468.PNG

23 minutes ago, JBM said:

I went with clear nail polish. 

Silicone would have have been to thick and skewed the readings. 

Here is a snap of my readings

IMG_1468.PNG

Unless it is the best insulator in the world, I don't see how silicon would effect a submerged probe. At the very most it might delay the reading a few minutes, but nothing significant for our reef tanks? A small metal probe even in silicon will match external temperature pretty quickly. Try putting it in ice water, and then in the tank. Within a minute or two it'll read correctly; thermodynamics.