Innovative Marine Aquariums

Welcome to Picoville

jemmott

Hello All 

I havent posted much on here as it seems as if forums have gone silent over time?

Here is a little updated photos from picoville... tank is doing really well and more corals have been added.

Many thanks 

20190225_160301.jpg

20190224_180242.jpg

20190224_180329.jpg

20190224_180311.jpg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Welcome back @jemmott!

Everything looks to be responding really well to the Asta Lumini 20 light upgrade. I see lots of growth in your montipora and the trumpet coral heads in particular.

Without many predators in the tank, have you found that you have a large population of amphipods in your pico reef after its first year? Can you see them scurrying around the tank regularly?

8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @jemmott!

Everything looks to be responding really well to the Asta Lumini 20 light upgrade. I see lots of growth in your montipora and the trumpet coral heads in particular.

Without many predators in the tank, have you found that you have a large population of amphipods in your pico reef after its first year? Can you see them scurrying around the tank regularly?

Hello mark

Thanks for the reply 🙂

100% coral growth since adding the asta, the corals seem to really enjoy it and the growth has been fab,i have added 6 new corals and the tank is really starting to fill out, im not too sure if i will add any more corals due to me not dosing so i will probably let the corals grow out.. the trumpet is doing amazing, i think there is 12 heads now without counting amd more forming 😎,i also added a hollywood stunner challice which lives on the sand bed.

I also added 2 different types of montis which i will take a photo of.

The tank is full off copepods, amphipods and stortamella snails lol, its a different world when the lights go out.

I still have my blue legged hermit crab and plan to keep it at that as i dont want to add to the bioload.

Im still doing 3 litre water change every Wednesday and saturday and top up r.o when needed and that seems to be more than enough.

Any coral suggestions welcome lol, i did fancy a acan frag or blasto but thats pending the wifes authorisation 😂.

Many thanks 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Christopher Marks

That's awesome to hear, you're going to have to make plans for a frag tank before long 😉 

I'd highly recommend an Acan for your next coral frag addition, they should do really well in your system! You might consider relocating that mushroom coral in the lower right corner to accommodate them. They grow quick too, so go for a smallest but best colored frag you can find 😄 

Did you ever end up adding any snails to your reef?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

That's awesome to hear, you're going to have to make plans for a frag tank before long 😉 

I'd highly recommend an Acan for your next coral frag addition, they should do really well in your system! You might consider relocating that mushroom coral in the lower right corner to accommodate them. They grow quick too, so go for a smallest but best colored frag you can find 😄 

Did you ever end up adding any snails to your reef?

Ahh now that was another plan until i got told absolutely not 😂.

I was looking at maybe getting a single torch head and placing it just infront of thw sweeping toadstool to the right?

Idealy i would like the whole of the sandbed covered in bright lps but will need to see how the funds cope lol.

The tank costs me around £5.20 in water a month and i dont have to add or buy anything else lol.

I did think of adding snails however i think the hermit will kill them for their shells, i do like the nassarius snails and turbos, i may just add 2 nass to keep my sandbed clean and 1 turbo to clear the glass.

many thanks

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Haha, maybe you can come to an import/export agreement with your wife, and you can trade some frags from your system for new coral. Get creative 😉 

I was curious about snails since you had mentioned having a crab, that makes sense. Maybe if the snails you get are all smaller than the crab they will be less of a target? A few spare shells added to the tank for the crab could help too.

17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Haha, maybe you can come to an import/export agreement with your wife, and you can trade some frags from your system for new coral. Get creative 😉 

I made a similar arrangement with my wife. Altho, she seems to be happy with "free" frags for now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tank looks awesome @jemmott!!  I hope mine will be heading in the that direction eventually once I get some more corals (softies) in my tank!  

I agree with you about the forums and lack of posting.  I remember in years past, threads would be pushed into the second page in a few hours or even less.  Now, I see stuff I posted/responded to from over a week ago that hasn't moved one "spot" in the list.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Superdave said:

Tank looks awesome @jemmott!!  I hope mine will be heading in the that direction eventually once I get some more corals (softies) in my tank!  

I agree with you about the forums and lack of posting.  I remember in years past, threads would be pushed into the second page in a few hours or even less.  Now, I see stuff I posted/responded to from over a week ago that hasn't moved one "spot" in the list.  

Thank you very much @Superdave im still toying with softies and lps, i think im slightly leaning towards more softies as i dont dose nor feed, but then again i love chalice corals lol.

Its a shames because i remember when you could post a question amd it was answered straight away, i think people are on facebook pages more as its easier and the response is quicker.

I will continue to post on here so keep a eye out lol 

Cheers

7 hours ago, jemmott said:

Thank you very much @Superdave im still toying with softies and lps, i think im slightly leaning towards more softies as i dont dose nor feed, but then again i love chalice corals lol.

Its a shames because i remember when you could post a question amd it was answered straight away, i think people are on facebook pages more as its easier and the response is quicker.

Cheers

How long you do you have lights on for each day?  Just wondering since you don't dose!

On 2/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, Superdave said:

How long you do you have lights on for each day?  Just wondering since you don't dose!

I turn the lights on around 7 am full spectrum and turn the tank to moon light around 5pm 😀

On 2/26/2019 at 5:17 PM, Superdave said:

Cheers

20190301_165815.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

@jemmott, I found your journal while searching light settings for the Lumini Asta 20.  Do you mind sharing your settings?  It seems as though this light has been terrific for you.  

Congratulations on having such success in such a small tank!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TatorTaco said:

@jemmott, I found your journal while searching light settings for the Lumini Asta 20.  Do you mind sharing your settings?  It seems as though this light has been terrific for you.  

Congratulations on having such success in such a small tank!

Thank you very much, I just keep the light on full spectrum, I think its channel 4 I use.

Here is a updated shot of my tank

Many thanks 

20190525_151517.jpg

• Like 4

Full spectrum...like you hit the "full power" buttom, or do you have Channel 4 at max and all other channels set at the minimum? 

• Like 2