Pod Your Reef

Yellow Head Jawfish time in the burrow

Muffin87

Does the Yellow Head Jawfish spend a good part of the day outside the burrow (around 30-40% of its time awake)?

Or can you only catch the occasional glimpse of it, when it decides it's finally time to leave it for 15 minutes a day?

Do you need to be very careful when cleaning the bottom of the tank to avoid inadvertently collapsing its burrow?

I keep seeing really good-looking pictures of the Yellow Head Jawfish online, but at the same time I've come across threads saying the Yellow Head Jawfish spends 99% of the time hidden in its burrow, with his head resting inside it, just past the entrance. Like this:

a-yellow-head-jawfish-peeking-out-of-his

1 hour ago, OPtasia said:

They're infamous for being jumpers.

Exactly. This is why I wonder if they're worth it.

Even if their burrow-building behaviour is fascinating, I'm not sure I want a fish that spends 90% of the time hiding in their burrow, and 9% of the time trying to jump out of the tank.

That's why I was wondering if people who have a Yellow Head Jawfish in their tank actually manage to see it swimming around at all.

As others have mentioned they are crazy good jumpers, you really need a secure lid.  If it's a mesh lid - then it needs to be a 1/4inch or smaller, they can get through tiny holes, no gaps in the back, front or sides either. Mine stays in it's burrow 100% but sticks its head and half its body out 90% of the time.  He comes out at night sometimes and cruises around but its awkward and doesn't look natural. They are not designed to be out and about. I target feed or even tong feed him 2 to 3 times a day.  Mine is a Blue spot jaw - so slightly different then yours but same behavior.  It's a great fish, I really enjoy watching him as long as you take a few special precautions. Just my experiences!

My 2 are out of the burrow about 90% of the time.  Feeding time gets iffy as they charge the surface for food. Could easily see an airborne fish situation if open top. 

On 2/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, Dell said:

As others have mentioned they are crazy good jumpers, you really need a secure lid.  If it's a mesh lid - then it needs to be a 1/4inch or smaller, they can get through tiny holes, no gaps in the back, front or sides either. Mine stays in it's burrow 100% but sticks its head and half its body out 90% of the time.  He comes out at night sometimes and cruises around but its awkward and doesn't look natural. They are not designed to be out and about. I target feed or even tong feed him 2 to 3 times a day.  Mine is a Blue spot jaw - so slightly different then yours but same behavior.  It's a great fish, I really enjoy watching him as long as you take a few special precautions. Just my experiences!

How long have you'd had yours and at what temperature?

Once mine was comfortable, he was out hovering outside the burrow a fair amount of time, mostly when he was hungry and hoping I would feed. It was in a 40 gallons so he actually had 2 or 3 burrows. 

4 hours ago, SXReefer said:

How long have you'd had yours and at what temperature?

I have had him/her for about 6 months, I keep the temperature a bit cooler because in my research Blue Spotted jawfish likes it cooler.  Keep tank around 74, I don't have a chiller or anything just no heater.