Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

21 minutes ago, mje113 said:

Ok thanks! I was planning on ordering two of those strips based on your rec... but now I'll just get one. And presuming that is need two dimmer/timers?

also did you glue the strip to the light itself, or the plastic hood?

Two dimmers will give you more control, you can put one on the stock light and another on the led, set them to what you think looks best.

I used hot glue to attach the light to the stock hood and it fell into the water twice...so probably use some screws to be safe!

No problem @DevilDuck, thanks for the inspiration.  

I ended up getting two strips and their sunset controller.  It may be overkill but this will have better coverage since I have pretty high rock work down the center of the tank.  And like you mentioned, I can just turn them down to whatever makes the corals happy. Also, I’m up in Canada and the shipping cost was higher than I would have liked so I didn’t want to order one to find it was t enough and have to incur the shipping cost again.  There really wasn’t anything available up here that was equivalent.

Should be here next week, so we’ll see how it goes. I was planning on using a glue gun but maybe super glue will work better.  

Well, while I’m here I might as well throw in a tank shot.  Algae is present but has been relatively stable, hoping it’s just a bit of the uglies. 

0EB7D604-CDF0-4581-8EA5-96D45AEE464D.thumb.jpeg.c46884ef4fa21cfaa2b631d0a0b8629b.jpeg

I was just about to buy a SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 replacement pump. I thought I'd seen it recommended but digging back earlier in this thread I see some people saying it's loud. Being silent is absolutely essential for me but I like the rated flow. So... is this a good choice or is there something better I should get?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, mje113 said:

I was just about to buy a SICCE Syncra Silent 1.0 replacement pump. I thought I'd seen it recommended but digging back earlier in this thread I see some people saying it's loud. Being silent is absolutely essential for me but I like the rated flow. So... is this a good choice or is there something better I should get?

I am using this pump and it is silent, as long as you do regular maintenance.  After about 2 months I noticed a decrease in flow and and increase in noise.  Once I cleaned it all was back to normal.  That being said I think the 1.5 is a better choice because the flow rate.  I am not sure if it will fit in the chamber, however.  the 1.0 is an extremely tight fit.

Cheers,

Bob.

reef jockey
54 minutes ago, NanoBob said:

I am using this pump and it is silent, as long as you do regular maintenance.  After about 2 months I noticed a decrease in flow and and increase in noise.  Once I cleaned it all was back to normal.  That being said I think the 1.5 is a better choice because the flow rate.  I am not sure if it will fit in the chamber, however.  the 1.0 is an extremely tight fit.

Cheers,

Bob.

I also have the 1.0 and it's been whisper quiet for me.  At most you may need to play around with it should it get noisy.

reef jockey
On 5/24/2022 at 7:19 AM, NanoBob said:

Got some good shots of the tank yesterday and thought I would share....

cheers,

Bob.20220523_190234.thumb.jpg.83f605caeeb8cdbeae20fa16d144ad17.jpg

20220523_190244.jpg

20220523_190253.jpg

20220523_190903.jpg

20220523_190354.jpg

20220523_191740.jpg

20220523_190533.jpg

20220523_190322.jpg

20220523_191036.jpg

20220523_190952.jpg

20220523_190557.jpg

20220523_190546.jpg

Great shots.. did you use a DLSR camera with filter?

On 5/28/2022 at 1:02 PM, reef jockey said:

Great shots.. did you use a DLSR camera with filter?

Thanks!  I use my Galaxy S22 and Orphek filters.  Those filters make all the difference!!

Cheers,

Bob.

• Like 1

I got the blue light strip that's been suggested on this thread and looking for ideas on fixing it to the stock hood. Clearly hot glue doesn't work, and was considering super glue or epoxy but then I remembered I have some "nano tape" on hand... if you aren't familiar it's this: https://nano-tape.com

It sticks like nothing else, but I'm concerned about how it'll hold up to the heat from the lights and evaporation. Any chance anyone has used it for aquarium use?

I've tried automotive double sided sticky tape (the kind used to hold spoilers and other parts on a car), hot glue, and Silicone. Hot glue held the longest but the heat and humidity will eventually loosen the bond. The underside of the stock hood is very smooth and slick so it might have helped to scuff it up with some sand paper. 

My lights have fallen through at least twice over the course of the year I had the tank up and running.

The best way is to drill holes and use stainless steel bolts.

Also I would suggest clipping off the unused wire that is used to daisy chain the the last light and glue or use heat shrink tubing to seal up the end. If that end falls into the water it will shock everything in the tank.

1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

I've tried automotive double sided sticky tape (the kind used to hold spoilers and other parts on a car), hot glue, and Silicone. Hot glue held the longest but the heat and humidity will eventually loosen the bond. The underside of the stock hood is very smooth and slick so it might have helped to scuff it up with some sand paper. 

My lights have fallen through at least twice over the course of the year I had the tank up and running.

The best way is to drill holes and use stainless steel bolts.

Also I would suggest clipping off the unused wire that is used to daisy chain the the last light and glue or use heat shrink tubing to seal up the end. If that end falls into the water it will shock everything in the tank.

Welp, I went with the nano tape so 🤞I will say that in other situations that stuff sticks better than anything else I've used. I guess I'll check every once in a while about how the bond is holding up. I also taped the extra cord, but... I guess clipping it off is a better idea.

Any chance anyone happens to know where I can get an extension cord for the light bar? I don't really know what size the plug is, I'm guessing something fairly standard.

Any hard to the tank when the light fell in? Guessing the low voltage isn't an issue.

• 7 months later...

So I've had my Fluval up for about 10 months now...moved over from a 10g Nuvo.   Was loving things but let the dredded GSP get out of control.  So yesterday I redid the scape with some new rock that I had ready.  Left what little rock the GSP didn't infest so hopefully no mini cycle.  This is my office tank (I have a 300g main tank) so it sometimes gets neglected.  I run the Marapros 30w LED (not bad for $120CAD as we pay up to $350 for AI prime).  I have the Syncra 1.0 return and just added the Hygger Mini yesterday (love how tiny it is!).

Here are pics of before and then after.  I've had more trouble taking pics with this light than others.  Even with filters.

PXL_20221011_021938859.jpg

PXL_20230116_202339922.jpg

PXL_20230116_231150105.jpg

• Like 1

Ya, I've never seen a different hood.  It's unfortunate because personally I like the contained look and I'm not a huge fan of having a hanging spotlight with tons of light bleed all over the room (mine is located in our dining room).  I know you can get deflectors/directors for specific lights but still.  I also don't have to worry about an ATO with the lid since the evaporation is quite minimal.

I ended up adding 2 blue light strips to the underside of mine along with the stock light on different schedules.  Works pretty well though the colouration isn't likely as good as some of the other options out there. 

Was just looking up through the thread and realized I haven't posted a pic in a while.  My last one was when my tank was 3 months old and looks so new and immature. It's either at the top of this page in the thread or on the previous page if you'd like to see a comparison. 

Might as well post an update now that I'm at 11 months.  I'm still having some trouble getting my zoa's and mushrooms (just rhodactis/discosoma, Yuma/Ricordea are doing well) to grow well. These just slowly shrink and sometimes melt away, some just stay the same for months and months.  Most of my other coral seem to be doing ok.  The GSP has been doing GSP things and I might have to break off that arch and turn it into a island in the front/middle of the sand bed, but we'll see, I like the grassy arch look.

Mixed light 50% Blue strips, 20% white with yellow lens

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.7e001e87b1755a90e61e8869e6327f69.jpg

Blue light only 20%, orange filter

IMG_1894.thumb.jpg.915f032ac427e9621687a9ffa82afa3c.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings fella Fluval 13.5 owners. I am just setting mine up and I have a question about ATO. Will the magnet work well on the back of these little guys? Mine is right out of the box, with the honeycomb sticker on the back and rim. I am looking at this one: Exo Auto Top Off - ReefBreeders

Many thanks

Fed

Forgive my bragging. I picked up a 1-year-old Fluval 13.5, heater, In-Tank for chambers 1 and 2, upgraded pump, and a zero-time stock light for ... $40. Guy said he couldn't get anything to grow. I'm not surprised since I guess he thought he had upgraded the light, but it was a piece; notably dimmer than stock.  

Carib Sea Fiji Pink

Marco Rock new and old

Using just the chamber 1 box.

Brown rock is from my existing Fluval 5. I tried to get the RFA off the rock but no-go, so over it came. 

Livestock to move:

Duncan

Two more RFAs

Small Ric

Decent Gongordian

Four Zoas (will have a dedicated rock!

Green Clove Polyp (will have dedicated rock!!!)

Red mushrooms (will also have dedicated rock!!!!!)

Filefish. Little buddy crushed the aptasia.

Fully grown blue-leg crab

A few snails.

Lots of plans. I need to do something different with the brown rock...

Anybody need an In-Tank chamber 2 box? I think I'll try growing some cheato back there.

IMG_4150.jpg

• Wow 1

That’s a steal there @shredder56 congrats! 

Wish that was all I spent on it haha.  

I don’t use the chamber 2 rack.  I suppose if you were planning on using a skimmer in chamber 1 it might be useful, but I’d you already have the 1st chamber one I think you’ll be fine.  Just depends on the setup 

@shredder56 That’s what I’ve read as well.  I’ve been using floss and carbon in my 1st chamber.  I’m still not able to get detectable nitrates, and phosphate has generally been near zero, up to 0.1 when I was feeding heavier.  So Ya, at this moment I don’t see the need for one.

Could totally use a skimmer on any size tank. And there are great nano skimmers available these days. I just ordered a Reef Glass which would also work for the fluvial 13.5.

Skimmer or not, just depends on what method of filteration your going for. Skimmers are one way to export nutrients and oxygenate water. Practically they can extend the periods between WCs and add more stability to a reef. The downside is they require regular maintenance and they can be loud.

When i had a fluvial 13.5 i was running a fuge with chaeto in the middle chamber. Worked very well. No skimmer on that tank.

In many ways its good to really plan out your reef. What corals will be your focus, what conditions do they need and how will you balance the systems need for nutrients and elements with mechanical equipment, water changes, and natural filteration. 

Hope that helps

• Like 2