Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Bigals-nano-1

Has anyone removed the bottom section  between chambers 2&3 on the evo as looking at the way the water flows through the rear chambers it is serving no purpose and would allow a better return pump to be fitted whilst still keeping the filter etc on the inlet side of it. This would also avoid voiding the pump manufacturers warranty by having to cut threads etc off the pump and give more space to stop the vibration noise a lot people get because of the pump touching the glass etc. 

10A1FA85-8859-498D-A283-9BCB9AD1D681.jpeg

• Like 1

Gathering all my stuff to setup a new tank.  Concerning the pump what is the best recommendation.  Should I replace the pump with the Sicce or Tunze OR add a glass mounted circulation pump like the Kydor Koralia or Sicce ?  Or something else?

I am running stock light for now and plan on just a few softies and shrooms, maybe an LPS, but not stocking too heavy.

THANKS
Lakedawgs

Somebody help me build my 3-stage filter set up please?  I've scoured the pages, these AIO's are new to me but not reefing, I've had several tanks when a high quality P-Skimmer, large volume powerheads, Halides, T5/VHO's were in.   Just trying to get an idea. So far I've come up with, Filter Floss, ChemiPure Elite and either more FF or some sort of Bioball Media.  I've been looking but not sure what size packet of ChemiPure I'd need or what else.

Obviously, it's going in an Evo 13.5. Tank will be reef orientated soft/LPS corals, CUC and 2 Clowns.  I'm attempting to skip the ugly stage and order agricultured live rock and live sand from a few online farms.  My LHS claims it's illegal, but I've done the homework and spoke to a few shops already.  Thanks for any insight, suggestions, tips or tricks.

Waiting on my tank and a few last bits and pieces and have been reading up on setting up the filter chambers.  I am going to start with floss then Purigen then Seachem Matrix.  

Concerning the Purigen.  It seems like with tanks our size you would use very little.  Roughly how much are you using?  And how do you contain it, just a bag?

Thanks

On 2/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, 05FLSTCI said:

Somebody help me build my 3-stage filter set up please?  I've scoured the pages, these AIO's are new to me but not reefing, I've had several tanks when a high quality P-Skimmer, large volume powerheads, Halides, T5/VHO's were in.   Just trying to get an idea. So far I've come up with, Filter Floss, ChemiPure Elite and either more FF or some sort of Bioball Media.  I've been looking but not sure what size packet of ChemiPure I'd need or what else.

Obviously, it's going in an Evo 13.5. Tank will be reef orientated soft/LPS corals, CUC and 2 Clowns.  I'm attempting to skip the ugly stage and order agricultured live rock and live sand from a few online farms.  My LHS claims it's illegal, but I've done the homework and spoke to a few shops already.  Thanks for any insight, suggestions, tips or tricks.

Here is my setup.....

chamber 1... Fluval mini protein skimmer

chamber 2... InTank removable media basket.  Chemipure (25 gallon), floss and rock rubble.  My ATO return also feeds into this chamber.

chamber 3... heater, Sicce 1.0 return pump (upgrade), ATO sensor and float valve.

It is a bit crowded and I hate the look from the cords, but it seems to be working.  I can post a picture if you like.

Cheers,

bob.

• Like 2
Bigals-nano-1
19 hours ago, Jduke314 said:

What ATO are being running? Any recommmendations?

D&D H2OCEAN compact ato and can’t fault it. Best purchase made and definitely helps with stability. 

Kitchen Shoals

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to get back into Nano Reef keeping, a lot has changed since '08-09....

Are these Fluval All in Ones pretty decent if I just want to set it up for one piece of rock with some coral on it?

I would like to set it up as a small tank for in the bedroom, a nice piece of rock, some coral and/or frags on it, maybe a feather duster and that's it....Would this fit the bill? 

I want this nice and simple...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Franz in NJ

On 2/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, NanoBob said:

Here is my setup.....

chamber 1... Fluval mini protein skimmer

chamber 2... InTank removable media basket.  Chemipure (25 gallon), floss and rock rubble.  My ATO return also feeds into this chamber.

chamber 3... heater, Sicce 1.0 return pump (upgrade), ATO sensor and float valve.

It is a bit crowded and I hate the look from the cords, but it seems to be working.  I can post a picture if you like.

Cheers,

bob.

I'd be very interested, please.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears I have sponges or something growing in my evo sump areas. can't really take pics through the wrap, but it looks like I have a bunch of white fluffy looking 'pods' or small 'tufts' growing inside the sump chambers. from really tiny to size of a dime.

anyone have any idea what these are?

• 2 weeks later...

I did a lighting upgrade under the stock hood today.  Added 2 of the 12", 9watt actinic ReefBars.

I know a few others have done this.  I also added a light controller for the factory light.  I am going to start with a 1.5 hr ramp on the stock light from 0-50% for sunrise and sunset and bring on the 2 ReefBars when the factory light hits 50%.  

If anyone else has this setup what light schedule are you using? 

Here is a link to my journal page with pics of the new setup.

Thanks to all,

Lakedawgs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just about to setup my evo after more than a decade from my previous tank!

I poured through this thread and think I have most of my questions answered, however I'm not really sure what my options are for putting a timer/dimmer on the stock lights. It seems like it's not straightforward, but any tips, products, etc would be helpful!

Hey @mje113

I've got a nearly 3 month old Evo and I ended up going with the Nicrew Single Channel LED Ramp Timer Pro.  Works pretty good to time the lights and has either a 15 or 30 minute option for ramping up and down.  Got mine on Amazon

I'm currently waiting on a shipment from 21LED for a couple Actinic blue light strips.  The stock light i've heard can grow decently but I saw a few people on the forums like @DevilDuck who modified the stock hood with these and I like the additional blue to make the corals pop. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, 4d-Rock said:

Hey @mje113

I've got a nearly 3 month old Evo and I ended up going with the Nicrew Single Channel LED Ramp Timer Pro.  Works pretty good to time the lights and has either a 15 or 30 minute option for ramping up and down.  Got mine on Amazon

I'm currently waiting on a shipment from 21LED for a couple Actinic blue light strips.  The stock light i've heard can grow decently but I saw a few people on the forums like @DevilDuck who modified the stock hood with these and I like the additional blue to make the corals pop. 

Thanks for the shout out @4d-Rock! @mje113 You can check out my Evo 13.5 Journal here: 

Personally, I also bought one of these Nicrew LED Ramp Timers or some chinese no-name clone and found programming them more trouble than it was worth. Instead, I just staggered the timing of the 21LED blue strips and the stock light so that the strip came on first and then the main light during the peak time. In my journal, I used two 21LED strips but I feel that was a bit overkill for this tank as I had to dim them by 50%. Save yourself some money and start with one supplemental led.

Ok thanks! I was planning on ordering two of those strips based on your rec... but now I'll just get one. And presuming that is need two dimmer/timers?

also did you glue the strip to the light itself, or the plastic hood?