Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

5 hours ago, less than bread said:

When I ran a stock Evo, I had the full (white) mode for 9 hours during the day and then blues for a couple hours, then lights off the rest of the night

So I am probably fine leaving it on white since its on a timer...

• Like 1

Here is my 13.5

I really haven't kept up with it. Today was the first time I was able to see in it properly. Had to bust out a razor to clean the glass since my magnet scraper couldn't do anything on it.

I might get something a little bigger

IMG_0528.heic.jpeg

I just dropped a Jebao SOW-3 (their smallest) Wavemakers in my evo and even at lowest level  (132gal) its blowing the snot out of all my baby corals. I read people putting even larger powerbeads in there evo's, but this seems like way too much flow. 

Am I crazy? should it be this strong?

16 hours ago, emmysnewtank said:

I just dropped a Jebao SOW-3 (their smallest) Wavemakers in my evo and even at lowest level  (132gal) its blowing the snot out of all my baby corals. I read people putting even larger powerbeads in there evo's, but this seems like way too much flow. 

Am I crazy? should it be this strong?

I find that some people like strong water movement. I tried the smallest wave maker I can find in the evo and it was too strong for my liking. I ended up just upgrading the return pump for stronger flow. 

• Like 1

I have a Nero3 in mine and don't find it to be very over powering. I run it up to 65% and nothing seems to get blasted. I had the Jerboa sw3 when I first setup and that didn't move enough just a narrow beam. 

Has anyone made a custom glass/acrylic top that is not mesh vented? I like the stock lid as I don't want to deal with the evaporation, but do want to upgrade my light....

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to get into a nano saltwater tank. Look at the fluval Evo saltwater any ideas on what I need to add to it to make it a great tank. No experience with saltwater tanks. Any advice is welcomed 

Hi I'm new to a saltwater setup. Looking at the evo 13.5 as a nano reef setup. I would like corals and some nice small fish in it. Any things I should upgrade on the tank before I begin to add water and everything?  Not looking to go crazy but want a good setup for the fish and corals. How long do you have to cycle before adding fish?

On 11/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, 05XRunner said:

I have a Nero3 in mine and don't find it to be very over powering. I run it up to 65% and nothing seems to get blasted. I had the Jerboa sw3 when I first setup and that didn't move enough just a narrow beam. 

So maybe that's my issue is that the Jebao just moves a single blast column of water. What other Wavemakers move more of a wide swatch?

On 12/1/2021 at 9:55 AM, cburt0n3 said:

Hi I'm new to a saltwater setup. Looking at the evo 13.5 as a nano reef setup. I would like corals and some nice small fish in it. Any things I should upgrade on the tank before I begin to add water and everything?  Not looking to go crazy but want a good setup for the fish and corals. How long do you have to cycle before adding fish?

I am pretty new too, but there is a lot of info if you go back to the start of this thread. I upgraded the return pump, added InTank media basket (with floss, carbon and purigen), added a bag of biomax and dumped the fluval sponge. added a Jebao Wavemaker too, but thinking it is too strong for my tiny frags...

Also...anyone have thoughts on how MANY cuc I can add? currently have 1 nassarius, 2 astrea, 1 small turbo and 3 hermits. they are doing a good job with algae, but can I add another snail or two?

I also bought the Jebao SLW-10 and thought it was too powerful for the Evo 13.5. I am using it now in my 3 foot tank, and It's still dialed down to 50%. I think all the Evo 13.5 needs is a bigger return pump like the Sicce Synchra 1.0, that should provide plenty of flow for LPS and softies.

• Like 2
less than bread

I believe I had this one in my Evo with the stock pump and thought it was the right amount of flow. It’s just a constant flow but I had it pointed up towards the surface and that helped break it up some.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Sea-Circulation-Pump-Aquarium/dp/B009XSGI3S/ref=asc_df_B009XSGI3S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072615033&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8549666126073636217&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019571&hvtargid=pla-349199599590&psc=1

19 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I also bought the Jebao SLW-10 and thought it was too powerful for the Evo 13.5. I am using it now in my 3 foot tank, and It's still dialed down to 50%. I think all the Evo 13.5 needs is a bigger return pump like the Sicce Synchra 1.0, that should provide plenty of flow for LPS and softies.

100% agree with this, I didnt go with the Sicce but a non brand 900LPH (240GPH) pump and waiting on a RFG nozzle, the Sicce i think is approx 950LPH(250GPH)so mine isnt far off. Also really nice to not have equipment in the display. 

I would be curious to see how the SLW-5 does, but typically not available in the UK without a boat tonne of tax added ontop 

So I'm having a serious issue with particulates in the water column. I have both the Intank chambers 1 and 2 baskets. I'm running floss and chemipure elite in the first media rack and 2nd is a fuge. I'm at wits end. My stupid goby will stir up the sand bed and the particles just linger in the column. I can literally watch it right now. Any ideas? In my 15 years, I've NEVER had a problem like this.

its the Goby. Not much you can do.

I have a pistol shrimp and when he wants to go on a new digging spree I will have particulate all in the water column till he calms down from digging after a few days

20 minutes ago, 05XRunner said:

its the Goby. Not much you can do.

I have a pistol shrimp and when he wants to go on a new digging spree I will have particulate all in the water column till he calms down from digging after a few days

I get that. That's normal. I'm talking constant particulate. It's been this way for over a week now. Cannot get rid of it. Never settles and doesn't seem to ever get filtered out. I just turned up my wavemaker one notch. Gonna see if that helps filter it out faster. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Once all the very tiny lightweight particles are moved out of the sandbed this should subside. I went through the same thing, took a month or two.

Yeah I've been hearing that. I really don't like this tank's filtration chamber. With all the money I spent modding and upgrading, I could've just bought a better all in one.

Its probably your sand causing the big issues. I see it looks really fine grain. That is probably alot harder to get to settle down.

I run Special grade size sand and when my shrimp stirs things up my water is completely clear in a few hours after it has finished with its digging binge.

I only run a 3D printed first basket and filter floss. no socks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

i am looking to put the fluval PS2 skimmer in chamber 2 as I have the in tank chamber 1 insert. What is the easiest way to raise the skimmer in chamber 2? I thought I read egg crate. Does anyone know the best measurements to go with when they did it?

thanks!

Here are a few shots of my 13.5 setup.  I added a mini skimmer and a AI 16HD.  Along with an upgrade to the return pump, I added an orbit powerhead.  I also made a DIY screen top on which I will be replacing the screen with clear screen from BRS.

Critters and coral include a pair of Black Ocellaris Clownfish, a Banggai Cardinalfish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Pistol Shrimp and assorted snails and crab clean up crew.  Corals consist of Zoas.   The only type I am sure of are the frozen armageddon frag.  Assorted ricordea in their own little garden, a rock anemone and a branching frog spawn.

I have very happy with this tank which has been set up now for almost 4 months.  Since removing the hood the evaporation has been noticeably worse, especially now when it is so dry here in Michigan.

Cheers,

Bob.

20211230_162054.jpg

20211230_161603.jpg

20211230_162032.jpg

20211230_161715.jpg

20211230_161933.jpg

20211230_161727.jpg

20211230_161659.jpg

20211230_161651.jpg

20211230_161637.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have been running stock lighting about 3” over a mesh cover with just a few softies. I have come into possession of a second stock light.  Do I gain anything by using 2 stock lights side by side?

On 5/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, chvvkumar said:

I made this egg crate cover today for my Fluval Evo. Costs about $20 ($25 if you want it in black with plastidip). I plan on wrapping it with a finer mesh if needed later.

Parts List:

• Home Depot egg crate diffuser - $14

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolite-4-ft-x-2-ft-Suspended-Egg-Crate-Light-Ceiling-Panel-1199233A/202025149

• Clear Aquarium cover clips 6mm - $6.50

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXN784N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Plastidip - $6

https://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW

IMG_20200519_172921.jpg

IMG_20200519_172928.jpg

IMG_20200519_172941.jpg

IMG_20200519_172958.jpg

IMG_20200519_173027.jpg

IMG_20200519_173042.jpg

Are you still running this lid?? Happy with it?

• Like 1