Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

jjmccloud2011

Only upgrades so far are a sicce .5 return pump, intank 1st chamber media basket with filter floss, chemi pure blue and marine pure gems. Will be adding a AI Nero 3 soon and the AI prime 16hd soon along with a few other upgrades. Also using a cobalt Neotherm 70watt heater. Need opinions on best ATO as well, thinking tunze but not sure if the nano float is small enough back there

56 minutes ago, jjmccloud2011 said:

Only upgrades so far are a sicce .5 return pump, intank 1st chamber media basket with filter floss, chemi pure blue and marine pure gems. Will be adding a AI Nero 3 soon and the AI prime 16hd soon along with a few other upgrades. Also using a cobalt Neotherm 70watt heater. Need opinions on best ATO as well, thinking tunze but not sure if the nano float is small enough back there

Just ordered the D-D ATO nano thing and hoping it works 🙃 here’s to reefing!!! I got an ultra grave Zoa on the way and a bunch of snails ..... an ai Prime , let’s see what happens!! 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sealybomb said:

Just ordered the D-D ATO nano thing and hoping it works 🙃 here’s to reefing!!! I got an ultra grave Zoa on the way and a bunch of snails ..... an ai Prime , let’s see what happens!! 

I finally got an ato and went with the same Duetto ATO.  Best thing I have purchased by far.  

• Like 1
lambogriffin

Possibly last shots of the Evo before it gets retired, and I'm no longer an Evo owner. RIP.  Just finished the counter-weighted suspended hood I made for my new 29g aio I've been building, and I think with the lights complete, everything is ready for the big move(this weekend maybe). Nervous to disturb my healthy, established tank, but excited.PXL_20210305_001059005.thumb.jpg.9d48c854f191d52991346ec00e5b025b.jpgPXL_20210305_001140077.thumb.jpg.fece9e67e66a30cc736f96ab83aa4b3f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So we trundle along...
New thoughts about the tank. Have removed the "big black sponge" and simply dropped my carbon, Chemipure etc into chamber 2 after an issue with a badly fitting basket.
I'm kinda liking the idea of "open sump" as the water that goes into the overflow hits the skimmer, but also passes through all the media via the holes between chambers 1/2.

I have a "back feed" from chamber 3 to chamber two, so there always a wash going on.

Have lost the Evo stock pump and replaced with Eheim Compact 1000, and at same time lost the stock LED for a TMC Photon.... Its a different sport!
The two clowns are leaving tomorrow as they are utter bullies, as I fancy a more community feel. So a few Chromis will be added.
I removed a LOT of coral for credit at the local LFS as I thought it was time to upgrade the coral too, so Next.... LPS 

thumbnail_IMG-20210316-WA0002.jpg

thumbnail_IMG-20210316-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1
lambogriffin
49 minutes ago, Nang Yuan said:

Have lost the Evo stock pump and replaced with Eheim Compact 1000, and at same time lost the stock LED for a TMC Photon.... Its a different sport!
The two clowns are leaving tomorrow as they are utter bullies, as I fancy a more community feel. So a few Chromis will be added.

Gsp wall is looking good. The stock light may get the job done, but any light with a controllable spectrum is a game changer at the very least for aesthetics!

I'm glad I read this post.. was actually just considering getting another small clown to see if it would pair with mine (I started with 2, but they were about the same size and neither would back down so they just brawled almost constantly for months) but your post made me think.. I do not want a tag team of bullies either, and the clown has been very well behaved since it's been solo.. might pick up some chomis as well.

Canadiangirl
On 2/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, StephLionfish said:

Fluval Evo 13.5 Arch* Thread

ftfy, because let's be honest :lol:

My tank is still under a month old, but here it is :happy:

28359735269_1ca3d57cdf_c.jpg

25268064997_3a95d640b2_c.jpg

Love the rockwork.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:39 PM, lambogriffin said:

Custom glass top built by me, Amazon, and Lowe's, total cost around $20-30. The evap with the screen top was KILLING ME. Glass virtually eliminates evap loss, and I think it looks more rimless-y than with the black screen frame sitting in there. 😃IMG_20201001_185955_23.thumb.jpg.536230421ad44f460f33e6455f830f67.jpgIMG_20201001_185944_36.thumb.jpg.0334dde814a18f2acc84ab0da8f796b9.jpgIMG_20201001_190002_01.thumb.jpg.a5c2c6542280ffcb9a987f0bdef7b4e9.jpg

Hey there @lambogriffin, any chance you could share some details on what you purchased to build that lid? I've been up and down to Lowes / Home Depot a number of times, been all over their websites but can't quite find what I'm seeing here. I think I've seen those clips on Amazon but the glass / perspex / acrylic and handles has me lost...

I did pick up some plexiglass that I thought would be ok but it's clearly too thin and is sagging over night. Is that actually glass or some other perspex / acrylic?

I know there are ~$100 dollar options out there for me to have one custom made but I really don't want to spend that much and to be honest, I'm kinda itching to DIY something myself...

Thanks in advance!

On 3/19/2021 at 12:42 AM, DevilDuck said:

Those are some massive asterina stars! Have you noticed any munching on your coral? 

No all good that I can see. I read that they were mostly harmless...

On 3/18/2021 at 11:40 PM, lambogriffin said:

Gsp wall is looking good. The stock light may get the job done, but any light with a controllable spectrum is a game changer at the very least for aesthetics!

I'm glad I read this post.. was actually just considering getting another small clown to see if it would pair with mine (I started with 2, but they were about the same size and neither would back down so they just brawled almost constantly for months) but your post made me think.. I do not want a tag team of bullies either, and the clown has been very well behaved since it's been solo.. might pick up some chomis as well.

Clown gone and few coral bits and 1333509216_DSC_00351.thumb.JPG.8fcb46fd14855f3baee85b153b704019.JPG.
Im now in a place where I want to go LPS / SPS. I'd like to try with another Evo but not sure it'll have the strength, even with the new TMC light...

lambogriffin
On 3/22/2021 at 8:42 PM, mmbaba said:

Hey there @lambogriffin, any chance you could share some details on what you purchased to build that lid? I've been up and down to Lowes / Home Depot a number of times, been all over their websites but can't quite find what I'm seeing here. I think I've seen those clips on Amazon but the glass / perspex / acrylic and handles has me lost...

I did pick up some plexiglass that I thought would be ok but it's clearly too thin and is sagging over night. Is that actually glass or some other perspex / acrylic?

I know there are ~$100 dollar options out there for me to have one custom made but I really don't want to spend that much and to be honest, I'm kinda itching to DIY something myself...

Thanks in advance!

Hey.. acrylic is always a no-go for a lid.. it warps because of the humidity differential, bottom side exposed to moisture expands because of humidity, while top side does not. The clips are these I believe https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Rimless-Clips-3MM-5MM/dp/B072C3NJ46/ref=asc_df_B072C3NJ46/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735747789&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1337040330503858572&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003323&hvtargid=pla-574898792618&psc=1 , I bought some others a while before this that were not a good size..

For the handles, search "replacent aquarium top handles", lots of options. I found that the handles weren't really necessary, as I would tend to pick up the lid by the clips anyway.

The actual top is glass, and it's cut to size at lowes(usually the is a cutting station where the acrylic/plexiglass sheets are), I don't think hd does it any more.. it's thin..I think 3/32.. it's really intended for picture frames. I've used it on a 55 gallon, on my current 29g, and on the Evo.. never had any issues. The edges are sharp, so I've covered them, sanded them.. and left them sharp.. but quick sand paper to the edges is best.

• Thanks 1
On 3/29/2021 at 10:22 AM, lambogriffin said:

Hey.. acrylic is always a no-go for a lid.. it warps because of the humidity differential, bottom side exposed to moisture expands because of humidity, while top side does not. The clips are these I believe https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Rimless-Clips-3MM-5MM/dp/B072C3NJ46/ref=asc_df_B072C3NJ46/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735747789&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1337040330503858572&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003323&hvtargid=pla-574898792618&psc=1 , I bought some others a while before this that were not a good size..

For the handles, search "replacent aquarium top handles", lots of options. I found that the handles weren't really necessary, as I would tend to pick up the lid by the clips anyway.

The actual top is glass, and it's cut to size at lowes(usually the is a cutting station where the acrylic/plexiglass sheets are), I don't think hd does it any more.. it's thin..I think 3/32.. it's really intended for picture frames. I've used it on a 55 gallon, on my current 29g, and on the Evo.. never had any issues. The edges are sharp, so I've covered them, sanded them.. and left them sharp.. but quick sand paper to the edges is best.

That helps a lot (and explains why my makeshift hood is sagging!) - thanks a lot.

jjmccloud2011

Anyone using a skimmer on these thats not the crap ps2 made for it lol. Looking at either staying skimmerless or using the small overpriced reef glass or buying a K1 nano from ice cap

I’m thinking I will be joining the tanks of the Fluval evo 13.5, but my tank might confuse the hell out of people. Youll just have to wait and see what it will be. A question for everyone, I have a choice of live “deco” rock or live coralline rock. I feel like the coralline rock could be better due to less die off but it has less “stuff” on it. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I really just don’t like none white rock and the biodiversity of ocean rock is so nice 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, ThisPlaceIsAPrison said:

I'll contribute, great idea!  Here is my recent update.  Stay tuned as I'm about to giveaway a P2 Skimmer!  (once I hit 100 subscribers)

That's pretty amazing. I guess after 9 weeks that's a good test. I am so conflicted over getting the 13.5 Evo or the innovative Marine 14 gallon. I was going to get a budget light for about $120. It just seems that the IM comes with a media basket and a much more powerful pump so I don't know. Your tank is exactly what I'm looking for. Great job!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 11:14 PM, jjmccloud2011 said:

Anyone using a skimmer on these thats not the crap ps2 made for it lol. Looking at either staying skimmerless or using the small overpriced reef glass or buying a K1 nano from ice cap

I use the crap ps2 - no issues at all!

aSaltyKlown
42 minutes ago, Nang Yuan said:

I'm using this as well, figured I'd try it out as it was on sale for $30.  It's a little loud, but works just fine.  

I couldn't figure out how to get it set up correctly so I returned it and went with a custom media basket instead.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:22 AM, lambogriffin said:

Thanks for the heads up - I found the bits I needed - much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

any tips for cord management? i.e getting all the cords on one side with the stock everything without just having a wire from a powerhead on one end to the other area?

If you still have the black trim thats around the top of the tank, that hides things pretty well, I used suction pads and kept the cable as close to the top rim as possible and ran it round, couldn't notice it at all. Blue-tac would also work and just dot a few bits along and mold the cable into it.

1 hour ago, Reef Reece said:

If you still have the black trim thats around the top of the tank, that hides things pretty well, I used suction pads and kept the cable as close to the top rim as possible and ran it round, couldn't notice it at all. Blue-tac would also work and just dot a few bits along and mold the cable into it.

Thank you! I'll try this!

On 4/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, Nang Yuan said:

Okay scrap that!
I'm gonna try losing the skimmer for fuge
Now have a DFlow in Ch1 and have set the stock light vertically (outside tank) alongside Ch2 - ready for some chaeto...

Lets see how this goes.

5 hours ago, ChickenJo said:

Anyone upgrade their light using the stock lid still? DIY lights or otherwise? If so, how'd you do it?

Have a scroll through this thread, Im sure I've seen a few people have had success with buying Actinic LED strips, either using the existing light as well, or having it turned off and relying totally on the LED's.

If you're only just starting though stick with the stock light for a while, I see many people crapping all over it, yet I've seen plenty of people with VERY matured tanks, SPS/LPS/Soft growing amazingly well. I had it for a while and everything was doing okay, but it was a very small sample size and ive now upgraded to an AI Prime 16HD for the automation.