Pod Your Reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

Smitten4Witten

Hi All! Long time lurker, not finally started by own Evo!

Journal is here: 

Just wanted everyone thinking keeping the stock lid. I added a  21LEDUSA 12 inch ReefBar to the tank and added a manual inline dimmer switch to the stock light.

It took about 10 minutes to put on using double stick tape found in auto parts stores. The ReefBar is inexpensive at under $20 and provide a good amount of light (9W) per bar for this size tank.

The same tape used to attach spoilers and other auto body parts.

With the dimmer on the stock light it is easy to control the color temp (more white or more blue) of the tank. 

20210115_111606.jpg.880bb99183e83d71137c

image.png.ef5cfd4d23b412577b3f84cc985cf658.png

• Like 2

I started my Fluval a little over a week ago.

I made a Mesh lid with some plexi to cut down on evap and I am running the Aqua Knight light with sheet of parchment paper on the light to soften the shimmer to more like a MH look.

Other items are Finnix titanium heater and Jebao SW2 pump

Thanks. The Plexi is also to help keep the cats from wanting to touch

Hopefully I keep this tank longer than the RedSea Reefer 350 I bought in may and had it all going and just didnt have time and sold it all off in August. 

Been reading some of this thread.   I am considering getting a 13.5.  I do have some equipment left from my retired bio cube 29G.   An MP-10 pump which may be a little too large for the Evo, a nice ATO as well.   Still have all the rock from that tank that Ive cleaned and dried that I can "restart". Also, I did get a black sheet of the starboard/cutting board type material that I had intended on putting the bio cube but never got around to it before we experienced a crash and a horrible bubble algae invasion.  Gave up that battle and shut it down.  Anyway, I plan to use that in place of a sand bed and it should look nice and protect the bottom glass.   

Obviously I plan on a few upgrades such as the main pump, an InTank media basket, and maybe some more powerful lighting down the road.   

So I hate to fortify this even more from the cats. Before I had an inch of open mesh front and rear not covered in plexi. Well someone overnight pushed in the screen in that opening and splashed water. So now I cut some plexi that is the exact size and is inlaid over the mesh.

This is the MadMax Fluval 13.5

Thank god for 3D printer I can make the spikes

DSCF1491.jpg

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, kcamp317 said:

Been reading some of this thread.   I am considering getting a 13.5.  I do have some equipment left from my retired bio cube 29G.   An MP-10 pump which may be a little too large for the Evo, a nice ATO as well.   Still have all the rock from that tank that Ive cleaned and dried that I can "restart". Also, I did get a black sheet of the starboard/cutting board type material that I had intended on putting the bio cube but never got around to it before we experienced a crash and a horrible bubble algae invasion.  Gave up that battle and shut it down.  Anyway, I plan to use that in place of a sand bed and it should look nice and protect the bottom glass.   

Obviously I plan on a few upgrades such as the main pump, an InTank media basket, and maybe some more powerful lighting down the road.   

MP10 is too large for sure. 

Is say consider one of the IM or Waterbox aquariums before getting into an Evo 13.5. I would definately have preferred either of those options. 

Is anyone dosing into chamber 3? Ive got all-for-reef coming in into CH3, as well as my ATO. 

Any considerations on increasing the flow and mixing rate in CH3?

I finding a calc whiteness to the top of the water there. Maybe its no biggie.  

On 1/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, geekreef_05 said:

MP10 is too large for sure. 

Is say consider one of the IM or Waterbox aquariums before getting into an Evo 13.5. I would definately have preferred either of those options. 

I won't disagree that an IM Nuvo, Waterbox or Fiji Cube are nicer tanks - but they are also all considerably more expensive.   I got my Evo for $101 plus tax which is half the cost of the other alternatives.   Sure, it's not the greatest filtration system, and the light is OK at best - but for $100 it ain't bad.  And with a little work and a few mods it can be a very decent nano tank (as can be witnessed by the hundreds of posts in this thread).

IMG_4097.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/20/2021 at 2:55 AM, Ash1176 said:

Here is the 8 month mark in the tank! Really stoked with how it’s turning out!

2489F8C8-0557-4FA3-997B-CECC0548C41F.thumb.jpeg.25342d194ed469c56da6526093e197a3.jpeg

Amazing color on those corals Ash !

• Like 1

For anyone debating on removing the lid for the Evo, I recently took mine out to incorporate an AI Prime 16HD and bought the Red Sea DIY Mesh Lid Kit. Wow, what a great kit, took me about an hour to get it all done, very robust and comes with plenty of extra mesh for any future accidents.

Best change I've made to the tank so far and at £37 in the UK with everything supplied, its a no brainer.

• Like 1

So another few months and Ive cut the GSP back (gave to LFS) and done some putty work on the small colonies....
About to add a rack to chamber 2 to (hopefully) increase water flow, totally going against my "stick with stock" idea...Nmind.DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.0c14e6efbe1b1eb9219cae9d92a78b41.JPG

Me thinks an aiPrime is on its way too...

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
freestylejunki32

Here's mine 😎. I started with stock light and 2 actinic strips underneath for around 35w at full power. After about a month I decided I wanted more controlability and I'm a sucker for high tech so I just got the ai prime HD 16  yesterday. Waiting on my kraken reef acrylic lid. 

20210202_194420.jpg

20210205_132844.jpg

20210205_132854.jpg

20210205_132907.jpg

20210202_141520.jpg

20210202_194420.jpg

20210202_185354.jpg

20210202_104942.jpgiv widget

20210204_120944.jpg

20210120_111539.jpg

• Like 3
13 hours ago, JohnB said:

RFG recommendation anyone? It would go on a Sicce Syncra 1.0 (250 gph) that I am going to use to replace the stock pump. 

Get two 1/4 inch vca rfg, for the syncra 1.0 perfect match, just use the same lockline and replace the nozzles with them 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
jjmccloud2011

Here's my first go at a nano, went with the evo 13.5 because of the reviews and overall package. Of course will be all upgraded but here's the start. Pics of fitting the aquascape and has now been up and running 4 weeks. Added first livestock 3 days ago and so far so good just taking it slow. Sry pics aren't the best just shared what I had on phone for now lol. My pair of clowns are a 6-8 month old bonded pair of sub zero frostbite clowns from sustainable aquatics and I couldn't happier with this pair I've always wanted a nice designer pair and decided it was time to make the plunge. Will upload more pics as tank progresses if u want

20210210_131811.jpg

20210209_133846.jpg

20210227_122928.jpg

• Like 2