Smitten4Witten

Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners Thread

JustReading

Oh I like that lid set up

• Thanks 1

DevilDuck

Hi All! Long time lurker, not finally started by own Evo!

Journal is here: 

Just wanted everyone thinking keeping the stock lid. I added a  21LEDUSA 12 inch ReefBar to the tank and added a manual inline dimmer switch to the stock light.

It took about 10 minutes to put on using double stick tape found in auto parts stores. The ReefBar is inexpensive at under $20 and provide a good amount of light (9W) per bar for this size tank.

The same tape used to attach spoilers and other auto body parts.

With the dimmer on the stock light it is easy to control the color temp (more white or more blue) of the tank. 

20210115_111606.jpg.880bb99183e83d71137c

image.png.ef5cfd4d23b412577b3f84cc985cf658.png

05XRunner

I started my Fluval a little over a week ago.

I made a Mesh lid with some plexi to cut down on evap and I am running the Aqua Knight light with sheet of parchment paper on the light to soften the shimmer to more like a MH look.

Other items are Finnix titanium heater and Jebao SW2 pump

DevilDuck

@05XRunner Great idea with the plexi top! Looking forward to more updates!

05XRunner

Thanks. The Plexi is also to help keep the cats from wanting to touch

Hopefully I keep this tank longer than the RedSea Reefer 350 I bought in may and had it all going and just didnt have time and sold it all off in August. 

kcamp317

Been reading some of this thread.   I am considering getting a 13.5.  I do have some equipment left from my retired bio cube 29G.   An MP-10 pump which may be a little too large for the Evo, a nice ATO as well.   Still have all the rock from that tank that Ive cleaned and dried that I can "restart". Also, I did get a black sheet of the starboard/cutting board type material that I had intended on putting the bio cube but never got around to it before we experienced a crash and a horrible bubble algae invasion.  Gave up that battle and shut it down.  Anyway, I plan to use that in place of a sand bed and it should look nice and protect the bottom glass.   

Obviously I plan on a few upgrades such as the main pump, an InTank media basket, and maybe some more powerful lighting down the road.   

05XRunner

So I hate to fortify this even more from the cats. Before I had an inch of open mesh front and rear not covered in plexi. Well someone overnight pushed in the screen in that opening and splashed water. So now I cut some plexi that is the exact size and is inlaid over the mesh.

This is the MadMax Fluval 13.5

Thank god for 3D printer I can make the spikes

DSCF1491.jpg

geekreef_05
5 hours ago, kcamp317 said:

Been reading some of this thread.   I am considering getting a 13.5.  I do have some equipment left from my retired bio cube 29G.   An MP-10 pump which may be a little too large for the Evo, a nice ATO as well.   Still have all the rock from that tank that Ive cleaned and dried that I can "restart". Also, I did get a black sheet of the starboard/cutting board type material that I had intended on putting the bio cube but never got around to it before we experienced a crash and a horrible bubble algae invasion.  Gave up that battle and shut it down.  Anyway, I plan to use that in place of a sand bed and it should look nice and protect the bottom glass.   

Obviously I plan on a few upgrades such as the main pump, an InTank media basket, and maybe some more powerful lighting down the road.   

MP10 is too large for sure. 

Is say consider one of the IM or Waterbox aquariums before getting into an Evo 13.5. I would definately have preferred either of those options. 

geekreef_05

Is anyone dosing into chamber 3? Ive got all-for-reef coming in into CH3, as well as my ATO. 

Any considerations on increasing the flow and mixing rate in CH3?

I finding a calc whiteness to the top of the water there. Maybe its no biggie.